main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"The New Rebellion," by Kristine Kathryn Rusch [Bantam, 1996]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by dp4m, Jun 10, 2003.

?

"The New Rebellion," by Kristine Kathryn Rusch [Bantam, 1996]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

19.3%
  2. 9

6.0%
  3. 8

19.3%
  4. 7

7.2%
  5. 6 (Average)

9.6%
  6. 5 (Average)

15.7%
  7. 4

4.8%
  8. 3

4.8%
  9. 2

3.6%
  10. 1 (Poor)

9.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    I don't remember the , perhaps I should read this novel again?!

2. master_organa

master_organa Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 5, 2004
    8. Good, but Kueller seemed sorta corny.

3. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    It really says a lot about a book that if you read it and then a few years later find that it didn't really stick in your memory. That is the case with me and "New Rebellion". It is a pretty forgettable story. I wonder why it was green-lighted...surely there were more imaginative stories that could have been told?

One thing I do remember about it is the lame, anti-climactic ending. Mara Jade, Han Solo, Princess Leia, and Chewbacca rush to Luke's aid. The battered Jedi is barely holding his own against Kueller. The heroes rush in...and Leia shoots Kueller. And that's it. Kueller's dead.

They don't make Dark Jedi like they used to, I guess...

4. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    This book just got more and more painful as it went on.
    Ouch!

Awful.

I can't be more specific because, bluntly, my mind has blocked most of it.

5. TwiLeksRokMySox

TwiLeksRokMySox Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 28, 2004
    The New Rebellion was a pretty good read. It had several interesting new species of aliens, and unlike some other new aliens introduced in books, these were interesting. It introduced Cole Fardreamer, who was a great character. It had Han's old Run aquaintances, and had some great Han/Lando business. I like Brakiss, I think he is interesting, and Kueller wasn't bad either. The unmasking worked well for its purpose. Also, the focus on Threepio and Artoo, who ARE Star Wars was a welcome thing to be sure.

One the other side of the coin, it had some problems with pacing. Some of the segments seemed to drag on. Wedge just didn't seem like Wedge at a few points either. Other than those minor complaints, though, I liked it a lot.

8/10

6. STUBRIS

STUBRIS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    6/10
    Fast paced but not a little ridiculous.Kueller was one lame bad guy, makes me glad we don't have these "Villian of the week" style novels anymore.And what the hell was that ending all about? What exactly did Luke bring to the story? What was the point of bringing Mara into it? and how many times do we have to read the line "Luke shuddered"?

7. Xzilen20

Xzilen20 Jedi Youngling

Apr 13, 2005
    Excellence wrote an excellent review. Dead on.

Gotta agree with Gross on killing off the woman follower just to show us how bad he was. Kinda reminds me of the Classic Watch-With-A-Beer-In-Hand-And-Six-Allready-In-Your-System-And-Laugh-Your-Butt-Off (phew) Chuck Norris movie Invasion U.S.A

No explanation is given for the Russian's motive of after completing a drug trasnaction with a pimp, he (the Russian) turns around and shoves a hookers nose down so the straw he's having her blow through impales her Brian. He then pivots and shoots the pimp in the groin and if that's not enough.... throws him out the window! No refrence is ever made to it before or later in the movie. Oh boy, there's a ton of those scenes in that movie though. Heh.... sorry for getting ot.

8. DarthJango978

DarthJango978 Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2005
    I just finished the book. Bad:It is NOT a necessary read.
    In MY opinion, I do not like constant cliffhangers(still not as bad as JA's though) Good: I like the sabre duels,doesn't seem like there is much of that in early EU. A Unique plot. All in all an 8.

9. Megara_Lemelisk

Megara_Lemelisk Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2005
    I am still reading it and almost finished. I gave it a 9. It can be slow at times but I really am enjoying it. It has lots of intrigue and action in it. It goes behind the scenes to of the governmental workings of the New Republic.

10. Carnor_Jaxson

Carnor_Jaxson Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2005
    Weak plot 6/10

11. sisyphusrocks

sisyphusrocks Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 10, 2005
    Really hate that book.
    Really really. It was the ultimate expression of absurd that the Star Wars stories tend to fall into.

Plot: -1000, really sucks.
    Oh no! Another baddie-baddie (actually, still a kid!) threatens to destroy the whole New Republic! Oh man, it's so damn scary, I can't help laughing...
    And that droid stuff... silly. Just silly.
    Then he kills his woman-in-charge, just to show us he's bad, as if we didn't know that from the start... :D
    Another "oh my new superweapon, oh I am so dark, oh I will have them killed!" idiot - exactly what Kueller is.
    Most of Star Wars books suck when it comes to having a strong and really interesting antagonist character(s), except Zahn's Thrawn stuff.
    But man, this one sucked enormously.

I agree. This is one of the worst of the superweapon books by far.

I work for Microsoft, we have planted a self destruct device in EVERY computer. WATCH OUT!!!!

12. Lady_Kenobi84

Lady_Kenobi84 Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2005
    It didn't add anything new or revelant, but it was still a good read.

13. Darth_Superman

Darth_Superman Jedi Master

Sep 5, 2005
    Thank you sisyphusrocks for pretty much giving away the entire plot. Yep. This is my first and last time on the review boards before I FINISH the book. I thought it said, "NO SPOILERS" Oh well...

14. Dark_Muffin

Dark_Muffin Jedi Youngling

Sep 11, 2005
    The book had some good writing. But the ending was terrible, and parts of the plot were ridiculously unbelievable. Blaming Han for the bombing? I mean...? And then basing that on a message. Did I mention the ending was terrible?

15. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    7. From what I had heard of it, I thought it wouldn´t be as good as it turned out to be. I feared it would be another The Crystal Star, but it was quite a decent book. Nothing special, but readable and solid work, but this book has the special honour of being the only movie, book or comic in which I haven´t liked Leia. As a former freedom fighter and a staunch supporter of democracy she had little understanding for democracy in this book. And the whole election business was a joke - keeping new elections to fill empty seats in the Senate 10 days from announcing the elections... Impossible.

16. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    The book was okay, though the bag guy seemed a little too cliched.

And I didn't like how Madine just died like that. It seemed like a very pointless death to me.

17. KrystinaSkywalker

KrystinaSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 27, 2005
    I haven't read this book for awhile, but I remember liking it. I remember one of my biggest complaints was how weak it made Luke seem, I mean, come on, he's the son of the most powerful Jedi ever born! But then of course I suppose we didn't know that back then did we? But still, we knew he was powerful, and the whole galaxy dooming plot thing is getting old.

I did really like this book though. The humor was great, and so was the characterization. I particularly liked the part where Luke talked to that yooung mechanic from Tatooine. It was definetely one of my favorite scenes, and I really wish Fardreamer would have shown up in some other books, I would have liked to know what happened to him.

18. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I think you're thinking of Darksaber

19. 1_4_Jedi

1_4_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2006
    5/10

This one was unique, I'll give it that much. My problem wasn't so much with the plot itself, but the overall style and feel of both the story and the characters just didn't feel right in the classic SW sense. Although I felt that some of the characters had potential, I didn't think that they lived up to it particularly well. At the same time, the classic characters were handled well enough, but it was almost as if the author was afraid to be as creative with them as the rest of the story. Also, some elements just seemed a bit to over the top or unlikely, even for a SW novel. I can honestly say that I didn't think this one was entirely worth the time spent to read it, but it could have been alot *cough_"CS"_cough* worse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.