main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ark The Newspaper Article....What's right. What's wrong. Where to find it.

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by hyperspace_police, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    To begin I would just like to borrow a quote from my dear friend Han Solo...

"It's not my fault!"

Well, we made the front page of the High Profile section (D)

Of course, there are some things in there I don't know wehre he got them from?

the women's Star Wars appreciation club????? I guess he assumed that since we were both women???

We spelled it out for him....literally spelled it.

ARKANSITH 327TH STAR CORPS 501ST I swear...

Most of the rest of it is sort of what we said.

(He should have taken better notes?)

But, the point got across.

The fact that we're doing a half-time thing is correct.

"nerd accecptance"is right up there with me saying that the building was kind to us on the news during the line party (I could have sworn that I said geek?)

And I don't know about slavishly follow and dissect...

But, to borrow a line from Padme:

"It's probably true."

They need to let us write this stuff ourselves and just print it the way we want it.

But, all in all....it could have been worse?

But, where did they get that picture of Vader???

2. ti7267

ti7267 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2005
    dang stupid different part of states we didn't get it in ours

3. Jaira

Jaira Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2005
    Yeah. Well, you are waaay too fast for me. For the record, there was no slamming, so that's a good thing. And we're in the paper, first page of a section, so let's not forget that little accomplishment. People can Google 'ArkanSith' and find us. I was dissappointed that future events weren't mentioned, but I guess he only had so much room to work with, looking at the article. The quotes were pretty true to form, but I think he switched them between me and BJ quite a bit. That's okay, too. As you can probably tell, I am very tired from our babysitting last night, so everything sounds good to me....but I haven't had any coffe yet. Jeremy, we did mention, I think, that you had found new life as a stormtrooper, but that didn't make it in there...I'll be back after the coffee.

4. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    I didn't say he slammed anything...

I think it went quite well...

But, there were some interesting additives...

And yes, Vader 312...that wasn't how that was said...we were talking about the bowling pics...and how our Vader was different now....and we had more TK's...

(but, the whole 501st/327th stuff got left out.)

He didn't paint us in a bad light.
    We made front page of a section.

Overall, I'm happy.

I just wish we could write our own copy.

5. Elan-Rai

Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 11, 2001
    Can anyone scan the article and post it up?

6. Jaira

Jaira Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2005
    Light sabers at the ready
    Arkie architect?s prolific ex
    No time for curtain calls

The other morning at Barnes & Noble, Sharon McDaniel and B.J. Power took their blendedcoffee drinks to a cafe table and sat down to discuss Saturday night?s Arkansas Twisters game.
    The women aren?t Twisters fans, per se ? or at least they are not Twisters fans before they are Star Wars fans, which they are first and foremost. During halftime of Saturday?s game against the Macon Knights, the team?s final home matchup for the season, the women?s Star Wars appreciation club will perform a choreographed and costumed vignette.
    ?Without giving too much away, it?s basically a post-Order 66 battle sequence,? said Power, giving away, at least to the uninitiated or barely initiated, even less than she realized.
    The name of the organization is ArkanSith Galactic Renegades, a reference to the nefarious Sith lords from the movies. The group organized about a year ago, around the time of the theatrical release of the sixth and final film in George Lucas? saga. Of course, fan appreciation for the Star Wars universe didn?t spring up fully formed only a year ago, but to affiliate with The Force, one of the country?s largest Star Wars fan networks, a club must have at least three meetings attended by at least three people. (ArkanSith membership has swelled to more than 30.)
    Nor will Saturday?s performance mark the ArkanSith?s first appearance at a Twisters game. Earlier this summer, another film hero stole the show, or at least attempted to. ?We beat up Superman last time,? said Power, referring to a costumed actor who posed for photos to promote the opening of Superman Returns. ?Poor Superman.?
    Noncharitable appearances are not typical for the group. Back in the spring, they marched in Benton?s Sparks in the Park parade, but more often they make appearances for serviceoriented organizations. ?We?ll drop anything,? said Power, ?for Make-A-Wish,? the foundation that arranges special occasions for terminally ill children. The group recently delighted bowlers at the Big Brothers Big Sisters Bowl for Kids? Sake event. Children swarmed the Darth Vader performer, who responded by executing a Riverdancestyle jig. ?The kids loved it,? said McDaniel. ?Only two went away crying.?
    The women were particularly excited about this next Alltel Arena appearance. ?We have a new Vader we?re breaking in,? McDaniel said. ?He?s very good: He?s 18, energetic, has a blast. The last Vader was probably my height and just wasn?t working.? She produced a snapshot from the bowling alley. ?See? He?s shorter than the Storm Troopers. Not good.?
    From their negotiations with Twisters management, the ArkanSith are confident that in the introduction for their halftime show, they won?t be mocked as crazy fans. It?s clear how the children at charity events benefit from interacting with highly convincing re-creations of cherished movie characters, but what benefit do group members derive from the appearances?
    ?It?s fun to be accepted for once,? Power said. ?Nerd acceptance!?
    The women also projected a healthy sense of self-awareness. Though the group organized at a curious time in the Star Wars timeline ? the feature film series is essentially over ? there will always be new products to buy: special-edition DVDs, newtoy issues, a planned live-action television series to slavishly follow and dissect.
    ?We?re suckers,? Power said. ?We?ll admit it.?
    Though individual members tend to maintain a high level of devotion, they are welcoming of those who don?t. McDaniel indicated a robed man in a photograph from the Benton parade. ?This guy?? she said. ?That?s not even a Jedi costume. It was a Lord of the Rings costume, I think. He just wanted to walk with us. We said, ?That?s all right. You?re a new-wave Jedi.??

7. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    Wow.

You have way more time on your hands than you need...

Did you type that thing out or what?

8. Jaira

Jaira Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2005
    Girl, are you crazy? I don't even have time to type it out!!:p It's online at the paper's website. I just cut and pasted.

9. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    being yearbook adviser at cutter in hot springs mean i am the one that sends most of the school stuff to the paper. i had to get a contact at the sentinel record. anyway, my contact usually lets me write it and she takes most of it. most smaller newspapers do that.

10. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    We need to hook up with somebody like that with the DemoZette.

11. ti7267

Jul 31, 2005
    hehe now if i can get BJ to actually answer her phone :p

12. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    ditto to you too.

I'll try and call you tonight.

13. ChaseKeJac

ChaseKeJac Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2006
    I thought the article was good for the most part, but I'm not surprised he left out the info on the other groups. Ya'll did get front page, but it could have went better.
    In the future if anyone in the group needs help with thi type thing, I have a degree in Mass Media. I know how Papers and radio work and have worked in both for several years.

14. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    It's not knowing how to write an article..It's finding a reporter that doesn't leave stuff out.

But, his editor could be the guilty artilce butcherer.

I think it went well.

Cause if they go to ArkanSith.com

We're going to have linky's to all the other groups.

I think it went well. All things considered.

15. otisdodge

otisdodge Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2004
    If only we had someone in the group with a degree in Public Relations...

We really need to type out a press release that we can hand to these jokers so they will get the important stuff right.

Seriously. I know it's all about freedom of the press, but for something like this, don't you think they could email us a copy before they print, so they could correct the things they got absolutely wrong? It makes me wonder how much of the rest of the news is complete tripe.

16. VADER312

VADER312 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2005
    not working?.......

well thank god for the new guy

17. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    Like we said above...

That's not what was said. We were talking about how people dressed in different costumes and we had an energetic kid playing Vader now.

It just didn't come out that way in the article.

I hope that you aren't offended, cause it's not what was said nor how anything was meant.

It takes a lot of gusto to sweat in, I mean dress in that Vader costume. And it's an article...We can't help what they say..

Again, you have our apologies and hopefully realize that it's out of our control.

18. Scotstrooper

Scotstrooper Jedi Youngling

Mar 20, 2006
    I'm intrigued...

I understand freedom of press, things being misconstrued slightly or taken out of context, but...

Quote: ?See? He?s shorter than the Storm Troopers. Not good.?

If that's not what was said, then what was said? Or in what context was it said/meant? Reading it as it's written, it's more than a tad offensive to be honest. Why someone's height when costuming at events for charity/good causes etc should even be mentioned is quite bizzare to me.

Jeremy may not be a 6'7 Vader, but there also weren't any Stormtroopers over 5'11 in the movies. Standing next to Tracy, many people would look short. If it's accuracy we're talking about when in costume or at an event, that's a whole other story.

Apart from that...the article was "ok".

Cheers, Gord.

19. ChaseKeJac

ChaseKeJac Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2006
    Why don't we all just agreed that the Arkansith got a name drop in the Dem Gaz and leave it at that. No one has controland after all it was in the "High Profile" section, so parts had to be cut to let us know what someone richer than us that was going to wear at a party or who they shook hands with and mugged for the camera. lol

20. ti7267

Jul 31, 2005
    First thing is not pointing fingers at who said what, and to keep our cool. :)

21. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    OK.

My goodness, this has gotten wild.

It wasn't an offensive statement. To be honest I can't remember the exact phrasing that she used, but it wasn't in an insulting context. I wasn't recording it or anything.

As was said before...we had the pic of the bowling for kids thing and this and that...and there was something said about Vader LOOKING short, but thats where the whole "we accecpt anyone and let anyone come in a costume and participate with us. Referring to how in some Fan Groups..ie. 501st and Rebel Legion...they have events where you can't participate or be a member without the right look.

It was taken from that kind of context and turned into....well, the statement that got printed.

It was not meant to offend. And if that is what happened, well...this is like apology number 3 or 4.

Maybe, if we can get bigger as a group we'll get to the point where we can just hand someone our own press release.

But, that would still get trashed by some editor for space.

And for that matter...the whole Superman thing isn't quoted right cause I said..."We got pictures with some of our Storm Troopers punching superman and that I thought we beat out their line for picutres taken."

I also said: "Geek accecptance" not Nerd.

So, statements being taken out of the context of the converstaion and turned into something offensive isn't anything that we did intentionally.

Also...I don't know where the heck he got "Star Wars Women's Appreciation Group."

It's an article and he wasn't writing everything we said down word for word.

Or the other groups (327th and 501st would have made the cut.)

Sorry about anything that looks wrong or insulting.

But, anyone that has ever been quoted in the paper or involved with Journalism at all....Know that things that are said and things that are "Quoted" don't add up.

It's like saying 2 + 2 is 6. And then saying that it was quoted that way.

The commment had to do with the fact that we're not a canon group, we let all and anyone who wants to participate...Whether it fits the character or not.

That's why a kid is playing Anakin in the skit.

I think that something was also said about one of out Storm Troopers being too tall...but the only part of letting anyone participate that made the paper was that Adakar wasn't in a Star Wars costume for the parade...

Again, I am sorry if you were offended. I hope that we are all adults and can accecpt that things were out of our hands.

Feel free to pm me if there is anyting you would like for us to do other than what we've already done.

Thanks
    Bacon

22. Elan-Rai

Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 11, 2001
    I think some of us may be miscontruing what the writer put in his column. He said and I quote, "the women?s Star Wars appreciation club." To me it sounds like he is stating possessiveness, i.e., This is YOUR (the people in question) club. Notice he didn't capitalize "women"? And the "appreciation club" is nothing more than a description of our group. It isn't capitalized either.

I could be wrong, but I don't think he stated it incorrectly. He was just informing the reader that 1) you were both women, and 2) it's your group. :cool:

23. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    aha...that could be it....

at least they got the arkansith in it this time.

better than the ep 3 article.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.