main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official ATP Discussion Thread - now discussing the U.S. Open

Discussion in 'Community' started by Anakin_Heartbreaker, Dec 28, 2007.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It's been absolutely beautiful here today - sunny but hot - high 80s F at least. Of course no tennis was scheduled. Tomorrow is supposed to be more of the same but with a chance of t-storms later.

I watched the match between Novak Djokovic and Marcos Baghdatis yesterday evening. Riveting stuff. I was cheering for Baghdatis. He gave it a real good shot - even had Djokovic so upset he trashed his racquet at one point (and most likely incurred a fine). But in the end Djokovic was the better (or luckier) player.

So many people are queued up for tickets tomorrow that they have already shut the line and sent people home.

Have the female screechers spoiled the matches for anyone else? I watched one Thursday between two that screeched so much I eventually killed the volume on the TV. It's like chalk on a blackboard. I've pretty much gone off the womens' matches due to the noise.

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I'm used to the screeching now, unfortunately. Too many players do it to zone it out completely, even when watching matches on the other courts.

Tomic to the quarters to face the Joker. :D

The big story is Nadal though. I hope he's not injured too badly to continue, would be a big loss for the tournament.

3. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I didn't start following the Nadal-Del Potro match until after Nadal's injury. It looks potentially severe, though like many a champion, he gutted it out and emerged with a tough win. That should tell you something about his ability-- even injured he's still a strong grass court player. I'd be concerned about what happens when the injury has time to swell up and cause more problems, assuming it isn't a tournament-ending injury for him.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Looks like he has a day off today as the Womens' Quarter Finals are on the main courts. Hopefully he can rest up a bit.

5. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    The scrieking is just one of the many things I dislike about womens tennis. Sharapova and Venus take it to new heights as does the Portuguese youngster Larcho De Brito(she has been called out several times).

I enjoy the womens tennis a lot more when they do not show the Williams or Sharapova. All 3 of them have highly unattractive styles of play.

at least we get the men all by themselves tomorrow.

6. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    You may end up with some of the womens' matches as well - they haven't been able to play on any of the open courts yet today due to weather. It got all black around noontime here and since then we've had thunder, lightning, and heavy rain. It seems to be clearing out a bit now and last I heard they might try to get play started there shortly.
    Play has been going on under the roof on Center Court but I've avoided the coverage - the shrieking might have drowned out the thunderstorms.. :p

Nadal had a scan done on his foot yesterday - no damage was found. Sports report said he was going to try some practice this afternoon.

7. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Tsonga is just in god mode right now. Federer hasn't had a break point in 4 sets.

8. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Tsonga wins after being 2 sets down. If he plays like that reche's prediction is looking good.

9. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I'm so pissed off to start my day by reading this. I just wanted to see Federer-Nadal IV, and I didn't particularly care what had to happen to make it a reality. What a disappointment.

10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Well, British hopes are still alive - Andy Murray is through. And so is Nadal - no great surprise there. One of them won't make the final though. I have a feeling I know which one..

11. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    That's why I picked Tsong. He has these in the zone moments where he is truly unbeatable. If he can bring it like that he can win any match(this is a big big if). Amazing fightback, Federer started to get passive and Tsonga pounced on volleys. Tsonga has always had the perfect game for grass and is finnaly putting it together.

I for one am very glad to see this result. Not only because Tsonga is one of my favorite players but because it eliminates the possibility of another Federer and Nadal final, which are the most predictable matches on tour right now.

I will have some thoughts on Tomic and Murray vs Nadal later

12. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    How can you not want to see another Federer-Nadal final at Wimbledon (or anywhere, but I digress)? I can't fathom that. It's some of the best that tennis has ever had to offer the world, and it's always interesting. There's nothing predictable about a Federer-Nadal final at Wimbledon. It's about as close to neutral ground for them as you can get.

In 30 years, most of what's happened in recent years will be forgotten, and all that will remain in most people's minds will be Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal.

13. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Federer-Nadal is the pinnacle of recent tennis history. They're even better matched than Borg-McEnroe. I agree that in 20 or 30 years, when people discuss the aughts they'll be discussing Federer's transcendental style and Nadal's sheer strategic and athletic mastery. I read an article several years ago about the "transcendental Roger Federer" and the article suggested that Federer is one of those rare athletes that processes what happens on the court so quickly that it almost buys him an extra second to react. I liken his ability to Allen Iverson (prime) and Michael Jordan. He just has the ability to move effortlessly and make the proper adaptations.

And yet, Nadal has those same traits but I think he is more athletic than Federer. Nadal's anticipation is what amazes me. He's like a chess player seeing a move several moves in advance. He's rarely fooled on court and has the ability to just overcome adversity through sheer will. The only time I've seen Nadal look bad is when he was injured (Australia the past two years and 09 French). But when he's on, he's on (see Australia 2009 which I think is the best match between Fed-Nadal and the epic Wimbledon final).

Anyway, I'm always sad to see Federer lose because I quite enjoy watching his game. I like see the younger players rise to the opportunities and I think we see Nadal win Wimbledon once again.

14. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    The thing is, they're both going to be off the stage soon enough. I don't see Nadal doing this for more than two or three more years before his body can't handle it anymore, and Federer is getting closer to the finish line himself. Nadal is just as much an artist on the court as Federer, but that gets lost in this physical strength. Federer is who he is, and together they are one of the greatest individual matchups in sports history.

15. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    The only place I want to see Nadal vs Federer is in Flushing Meadows because that is the only slam they have yet to meet in and its probably the one hwere Federer has the best chance to win.

This is just my opinion and I know Fedal has been great for the sport but I like to see more variety in the game. Not as much as WTA because then there is no identity. But in recent years the players in the 5-15 range have slipped and do not challenge the top 4 as much as they should. All of my most favorite players are ranked below 50 so I follow every aspect of the game and every tournament including challengers and futures. I like to msee it when a great player in the range of 5-20 pulls an upset and gets some recognition because people forget how ridiculously good these guys are in the top of the game. People are focusing too much on Federer being done but njot realizing that Tsonga can reach an amazing level at times. The 5-20 range lack consistency which is why they do not crack the top 4 but it I do love it when one of them hits their stride in a match and takes down a big gun.

16. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    The trouble is that tennis only gets noticed when one or a few players are truly great and competing against each other. It's a bore to me when things are very unpredictable and different players are winning majors (not that that's happened in awhile, but there was a period when it was happening). There's no chance for any kind of gravitas or intangibles to develop. Part of what made the Wimbledon final in 2008 so magnificent is that it had intangibles left and right, whether it was Federer going for six in a row, Nadal going for the first back to back FO-Wimbledon titles since Borg, or the very presence of both Bjorn Borg himself in the audience. Then you throw in John McEnroe's presence in the broadcast booth. Given that the match was immediately considered the best since Borg-McEnroe in 1980, it meant that much more that the two finalists from that year were in attendance. That doesn't even get into the history between Federer and Nadal, which is interesting by itself.

When it's Joe Whoever vs. John Whoever in the final of a major, and particularly when that happens several times in a comparatively short period of time, people tune out (myself included). In 2002, the last time both Federer and Nadal weren't in the Wimbledon final, it was Lleyton Hewitt vs. David Nalbandian. Please hit the snooze button for me because I can't wake myself up enough to hit it myself.

You're a hardcore fan, Jeff, and I respect and like that immensely. Your knowledge of the game far exceeds anyone here, and probably anyone who doesn't follow the game for a living (and probably some of those who do). I definitely hear what you're saying. It's easy to overlook how good the best players in the world are, and by that I mean the top 50. Any of them would embarrass just about anyone you could find at your local club or probably well past city limits. They just get overshadowed by the best of the best. Unlike team sports, where a player can name a name for themselves in spite of a dynastic team, it's not like that in tennis. But, that's how it goes, for better or worse.

I want to see greatness, and when it's on both sides of the court, it's that much more compelling to me.

17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'm glad tsonga won. i've been a fan of his for a long time, and just waiting for him to put it together. a tsonga/nadal final would be sort of a can't lose scenario for me, as they're probably my two favorite current players.

18. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    ok a few thoughts on Bernard Tomic. Obviously he has been hyped for quite a while now and is stil only 18 years old. Watching him play I think he is the best out of the "big 4 youngsters"

I would rate them like this:

1. Tomic - Strange game, but incredible feel of the ball. Alwayscreates the sense that he is in control of the rally, even against Djokovic he seemed to be in control much if the time. That is very vital, he controls play. He throws his opponent off and can crack the ball out of nowhere. Needs to improve the serve and forward movement. But the control part of it is why he will be great.

2. Dimitrov - Gave Tsonga a real battle in the 2nd round here. The Bulgarian can generate a lot of pop from both wings and is very quick around the court. His style of play has been compared to Federer with the one-hand backhand. He is a shotmaker. He is a bit older than Tomic.

3. Harrison - All round solid game. Very athletic and fast. He is like Roddick with less explosiveness but more athleticism. I think his game lacks a big weapon to be a huge impact though.

4. Raonic - Many say he will be thes best of this bunch, and right now he is ranked the highest. But he is all serve, Yes its a massive serve and he does have some volleying skills. But he doesn't have the room to improve like the other guys do. Plus he is a very tall guy and injury will be apart of his career.

One thing that all these guys have is belief. That is what seperates these guys from other youngsters like Marti,Schoorel,Kontinen and Krajinovic. All 4 have delivered on a big stage already. Excited quartet that is coming up in the next few years.

19. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I've been thinking about the past ten years of tennis and what matches have been the best or the most entertaining. My five favorite men's matches are:

5. 2002 US Open Men's Final

Sampras d. Agassi, 6-3, 6-4, 5-7, 6-4.

The end of an era and the last competitive match from Sampras. He retires after winning the championship. Quite the iconic moment and as a Sampras fan, I was so happy to see him go out winning his last tournament. His rivalry with Agassi defined my youth as a tennis player and to see these two play once more with all the chips on the line was just awesome.

4. 2001 US Open Men's Quarterfinal

Sampras d. Agassi, 6-7 (7), 7-6 (2), 7-6 (2), 7-6 (5).

For a long time this was the best match I ever saw. Amazing skills shown by both players. Vintage Sampras serve and volley. Vintage Agassi return and aggression. And NO BREAKS OF SERVE by either player. Just great tennis all around.

3. 2009 Wimbledon Men's Final.

Federer d. Roddick, 5-7, 7-6(6), 7-6(5), 3-6, 16-14

Herculean effort by Roddick who had played the entire tournament in masterful fashion. Federer, however, was just too consistent and too much. In fact, Federer rocks 50 aces, I think, against Roddick. Roddick had his chances but could not convert and ultimately he was the first to crack in the fifth set. Great effort. The one thing I didn't like about the match was Federer's smarmy "15" jacket. I still think it was pretty lowbrow and disrespectful to Roddick. Wear it to the post match press conference but not right there on court.

2. 2008 Wimbledon Men's Final

Nadal d. Federer, 6?4, 6?4, 6?7(5), 6?7(8), 9?7.

Arguably the greatest match ever played...on grass. I loved every minute of this match. It stretched over four hours and two rain delays. Both Federer and Nadal played at such a high level. Just fantastic tennis and certainly the best Wimbledon final I'd ever seen...and still have seen to date.

1. 2009 Australian Open Men's Final

Nadal d. Federer, 7?5, 3?6, 7?6(3), 3?6, 6?2.

Say what you will about the 2008 Wimbledon Men's Final but this final had it all. Both Federer and Nadal hit amazing shots on almost every point. I mean AMAZING shots. Some of the rallies seemed to last forever. There were times when Federer would hit cross court and pull Nadal way off the court. Nadal would hit back and Federer would go back across the court but Nadal would just run it down hitting a winner on a full sprint. Other times, Federer would find some crazy angles and just flow into his shots hitting clean winner after clean winner. Both players served immaculately.

Federer cracked mentally in the fifth set but the first four sets are, in my mind, among the most entertaining sets of tennis ever played.

20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    As I thought - Nadal goes through to the final and Murray is out.

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    sad to see tsonga go, but should be a good final. this is kind of a ridiculous question but i can't find it on the espn site or the official wimbledon site... what time are the matches this weekend?

22. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Same for both, assuming no rain. The women's final is Saturday at 9 ET, and the men's final is on Sunday at 9 ET. I plan to be up early again to watch the men's final.

23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    thanks josh. i'm more excited for the men's final too, but i'd like to catch both if i can get myself up that early. sharapova's resurgence has been quite impressive, and i really like kvitova's game as well.

24. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Just remembered that it doesn't matter if there's rain now, thanks to the roof.

25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, those matches will be on Center Court. However the forecast is for good weather both days. Right now it is sunny and warm with just a couple of clouds. If anything it might be a bit too warm for the players.

One interesting tidbit I caught during one of the broadcasts - there is discussion ongoing about putting a roof on Court One as well. Given the number of delays over the last two weeks it's not a bad idea.