main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official DUALITY Comments Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by MaxVeers, Feb 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Hey HappyNinja,

It can if four hundred people are throwing rocks to get you off stage 'cuase your jokes are so cr*p.

Anyway onto Secracium's comment. To a point I entirely agree with you on the originality bit. But if you want true originality none of us should really be 'ripping off' Star Wars films in the first place.

It is actually impossible (by definition) to make an original Star Wars film any more. I also feel you have to give 'your audience' a bit of what they want. Where would a fanfilm be without a lightsabre fight? Can we really tire of another opening crawl? It's these 'classics' that keep us coming back.

I thought as fanfilms go Duality was pretty original. They used an original ship, an original droid, original locations, original characters, but they all felt as though they where part of the Star Wars universe.

In the end, I think if we're going for originality, we'd better get out of the Star Wars genre altogether. 'Cos we're all ripping off Uncle George here folks! Anyone that thinks they're being original here is sadly mistaken

2. TheDorkboy

TheDorkboy Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 27, 2000
    << a lot of the moves in the lightsaber fight seem to have been taked straight out of phantom menace. >>

Not in Duality, no. In many others, yes, but the only move that was in Duality AND TPM was the butterfly kick.

<< same goes for a lot of the other films. looks like the fighting styles have been copied straight from some movie. don't want to put down the creators of the film, i enjoyed it, but i just think that there needs to be more originality in these films >>

That's like saying a Kung-Fu movie should use an original style. The style shown in TPM was pretty much the official "Lightsaber Fighting" style, so I would hope all fan films would ASPIRE to that style, not make every attempt to deviate from it. It's like when people say, "I'm trying a new look for lightsabers with my film." WHY?

M. Scott

3. DarkATX

DarkATX Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 14, 2000
    Why not? Human nature controls us...sometimes the only reason why we do things is simply because we can.

As for giving fans what they want, that's normally a good thing to do. But sometimes its even better to give them something they might not want, somthing different. Heck, sometimes we as a collective don't know what we really want til we see it.

So if you want to play with the visual look of lightsabres go for it, maybe even change the fighting style would be cool too. It'll make your film stand out from the rest since it's so visually different just like Duality was from it predecessor.

Just have fun and don't let anyone tell you what you want to do. Just like I'm doing now...so in short, ignore this post...LOL!

4. ChandlerPTH

ChandlerPTH Jedi Youngling

Feb 12, 2001
    i have not bothered to read anyone elses comments so if things are repeated, forgive me. i thought this movie rocked and i think it would have been even cooler if they had a whole story 20 minutes long. i have only one complaint. the sabers were too short. thats it. the effects rocked. the fight rocked. and even though ive heard that people thought that they felt there was no feeling in the blows that the two darths administered you do have to realize that not much would be needed when even the slightest touch of such a weapon could be very damaging. anyway thats all i have to say. keep up the good work.

5. Jace Taran

Jace Taran Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 2, 2000
    418 posts...wow...(well, ok, 419 now) Just imagine how many posts will show up in the PTH and KQ Official commen threads.

6. Saeed

Saeed Jedi Youngling star 3

May 11, 2000
    > Tosal: "I´m finnish, and damn proud of it!"

I'm quite finnish too, I blame my metabolism... :)

Now that's probably corny, but dry...?

Sorry this post was a bit late, I haven't kept up with this thread since it overtook the number of posts on the Blender Thread record....

7. Tosal Vetur

Tosal Vetur Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 12, 1999
  8. Saeed

Saeed Jedi Youngling star 3

May 11, 2000
    Sorry, Tosal, I guess it loses something in the translation.

It's a play on words - for 'finnish' read 'thinnish', ie. being too thin. So I blame being too thin on my body's metabolism.

Suddenly it doesn't seem so funny... :(

There ya go Pete - I'm not really funny at all... happy now? :)

9. Tosal Vetur

Tosal Vetur Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 12, 1999
    oh, i see

you know, i just love brittish comedy shows. Big Train, Absloutely Fabulous, Smack the Pony, the one with the vet who is afraid of guinea pigs etc. they are te funniest TV shows i have ever seen, plus Mr. Bean is brittish! but american comedy is good too, That 70' show is my fav american sitcom.

10. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Personally, I like They Think It's All Over. That's hilarious!

You know what I hate, the fact they ITV ditched The Drew Carey show! :( It's brilliant, but they used to show it around 12:30 in the morning, but it hasn't been on for about a year and a half - DIE ITV, DIE!!! DIE!!! DIE!!!

11. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    Love Mr. Bean. As well as Wallace and Gromit. :)

I also like the Drew Carey Show. Ryan Stiles is my idol, and I watch him on "Whose Line is it Anyway?"

12. Crystena77

Crystena77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 1999
    I didn't read all the comments. Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

After I read the write up about it in EW magazine I had to come check it out for myself.

I really liked it. Just from the non-picky, it entertained me for five minutes point of view.

Well done. I was pleasantly surprised at the detail.

Kudos.

:)

13. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
  14. Joey7F

Joey7F Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2000
    I showed duality in class to a few of my casual starwars fans, and two of them said, "is this the trailer for Ep2?"

cool...

--Joey

15. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Decided to give this thread a little dusting off, have we? :)

16. DaftMaul

Feb 18, 2001
    Where did you dig up this old fossil?

17. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Duality was good.

18. Lord_Gita

Lord_Gita Former TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 5, 2000
    Obligatory "What's Duality?" comment...

19. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    This is old!

20. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    No, YOU'RE old! :p

(The meltdown finally begins...)

M. Scott

21. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Sep 23, 1999
    Go to Moffell!

:D

By the way, did you know I started the *first* Duality meltdown? Yes, on their very first thread I asked "What are you guys using for 3D?" and DarthMiniMaul (the first Duality troll) said something like "If it's not 3DstudioMAX or Lightwave, it must be pretty weak." And it just degenerated from there.

Just a note.

22. Lord_Rive

Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff star 4 VIP

Jun 29, 2000
    That was YOU!?!

You sonuva...

;)

23. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Sep 23, 1999
    MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

[face_devil]

24. sjsuamidala

sjsuamidala Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2001
    I never wrote anything on this thred. It was too long, and I still will never read it - it's a book for crying out loud.

A book.

Andrew

It's much longer than the movie took to make. :) Just kidding - I know it took a few hours....yep.

25. DaftMaul

Feb 18, 2001
    DaftMaul turns slowly, and taking his mask off, smiles before saying...

'I am DarthMiniMaul....'

Not quite the ending of the Empire Strikes Back is it? (Not quite true either)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.