main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The *Official* Duchess Satine Kryze in The Clone Wars Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by ZEM, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MandalorianDuchess

MandalorianDuchess Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2010
    I think she's the coolest new character to join the Star Wars universe since... since...

Um, anyway, I agree with those that say we may yet see her killed in the series - but hopefully not until fairly late in the series, maybe in the last season. That would make for a great cliffhanger near the end of the series... if she is in a situation where you don't know if she lives or dies.

And the dress, to me that is just fine like that, because otherwise she'd be a bit more of a Padme clone, with an ever-expanding wardrobe. Better that she seem like she's royal, but frugal, for a nice contrast to Padme, who's often a flamboyantly-dressed politician. :p

2. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Well, she's based on Blanchett as Elizabeth I, so I thought the idea was for her to look regal but austere. That's what that look did for Blanchett's character, who had to shut her human, romantic side down to lead her nation.

3. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    Well, she's based on Blanchett as Elizabeth I, so I thought the idea was for her to look regal but austere. That's what that look did for Blanchett's character, who had to shut her human, romantic side down to lead her nation.[/quote]
    But what, physically, IU, are they? Like if she was real and you went up to her and poked at one of those things, what would it feel like?

Okay, that's getting a little weird, I admit it.

4. SciFiGeek17

SciFiGeek17 Jedi Youngling

Feb 16, 2010
    It's good thing I read through all the posts. I knew she looked like some actor I'd seen before. And now that I know, I can totally see Cate Blanchett's facial features. That's awesome!

Back in september of last year during the comic con I was watching on tv, I heard the director talk about introducing a former lover for Obi-Wan and I was really upset. I had a bad feeling they were gonna do a repeat of Attack of the Clones. I'm sorry to say, the entire romance in the movie failed miserably.
    And I honestly wasn't going to watch the episodes with the Duchess, but a friend got me into a Clone Wars mood, took a chance and I was blown away!

Seriously, they wrote the storyline of the 3 episodes very well. They didn't get stuck up on romantic scenes or lame dialogue. I liked how they were always arguing and then for a moment they'd give each other a romantic glance, lol. And I just love the chemistry between them. It's so fresh and natural to me.

I really like the Duchess Satine. I like her personality a lot. And even though I may disagree about people being neutral, it kind of works. I mean, after hearing what Obi-Wan told Anakin what happened before, can you blame her. Having to rebuild and reform your government. As a political leader, you want to do your best to protect your people.

And to reply to some of your posts, yes, Satine's death would give it a epic darkness, but I fear it would make it too depressing. I think it would actually cause more personal issues with Obi-Wan then we think.

5. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Actually, I think that if we see Obi-Wan respond to Satine death without resorting to emo and homicide, it will only strengthen his character and illustrate Anakin's weakness.

6. Scolai

Scolai Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2009
    I really think they are supposed to be flowers sculpted from some ivory like substance. Could be bone, maybe mythosaur (I mean, why not?), but it looks like flowers to me. They just don't move, and I don't think their color would be so uniform if they weren't carved from something else.

7. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Satine is an excellent addition to the Star Wars cast. I hope she survives till the Live Action teevee series.! :D

8. MandalorianDuchess

Feb 16, 2010
    If she does, I wonder who'd get cast? [face_thinking]

9. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    My first thought was Glenn Close. But I dunno.. I like Satine, but I think I actually prefer her story ending in TCW. If she lives, maybe a small appearance in other stories after the Purge, showing what happened to her.

10. Armchair_Admiral

Armchair_Admiral Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Unless they bother casting someone as Obi-Wan Kenobi for the live-action show, I feel that they really shouldn't bother with Duchess Satine for the live-action show too. That said, I hope Duchess Satine manages to find her way into future EU material. I'd think she would be likely to support an early Rebellion movement against the tryannical Galactic Empire should push come to shove. [face_peace]

11. MandalorianDuchess

Feb 16, 2010
    Glenn Close is too old... [face_shame_on_you]

I was thinking more along the lines of Gywneth Paltrow. :D

12. XCell

Apr 7, 2004
    I think Glenn Close looks the most like her, but who knows. And Satine isn't exactly a spring chicken.

13. MandalorianDuchess

Feb 16, 2010
    Perhaps, but I don't believe she's in her 60s, either. Obi-Wan would be in his 60s about 20 years after the Clone Wars, give or take.

14. XCell

Apr 7, 2004
    Well, I don't think age matters that much, actors can play younger/older characters, and have done so before in Star Wars. And Satine could be a bit older than Obi-Wan.. in the duchess outfit she looks older, at least.

But we're getting ahead of ourselves here, aren't we?[face_thinking] Live-action Satine probably won't be happening.

15. MandalorianDuchess

Feb 16, 2010
    Well, it's a good question. Even if Satine doesn't make it to the live-action series, it's possible one of the characters developed for TCW could.

I mean, if Boba went from the Holiday Special to star in The Empire Strikes Back... ;)

16. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I like her a lot for many reasons. She didn't exist simply as someone's love interest but had her own duty. She was not strong physically, I don't totally agree with her political view since it's a bit too extreme, especially to the Mandaloirans since it's against their tradition. However she is willing to do everything for her goal, despite she has powerful enemies, her own people's betrayal and the tradition of Mandalorians. She never changed her belief through this and I can see she's right. The Mandalorians overall are bad on politics, they mostly played Sith' tool and got badly owned by the Jedi after the Sith are defeated. We can also see the situation after Satine was removed from power, that's not really a stable way to develop, nor is it good for the people.

In the book her last words are "Remember, my dear Obi Wan. No matter what, don't let go of what you believe in. I never did." I think it's better than the lines in the cartoon.

For these reasons she really is my favorite SW female character. I wrote fanfic of Anakin&Satine mostly because I think she's the only one who could let Anakin grow feeling, of course it's my own opinion.;)

In season 5, well, due to the bad handling, the arc is quite rushed so like Viszla, she was portrayed like an idiot if you view her as a politician. She got no solution when the criminals were attacking, refused to run away and reveal the truth for her people, she told Maul about Almec's nature. And she should tell the Jedi about Maul since they clearly showed they are after Obi Wan, maybe that's because she didn't want the Republic to get involved too much. Overall the problem of her character in season 5 is she never played a strong role like she did in the previous seasons, never achieved or try a way to achieve anything as a politician, but just do nothing and wait for rescue. My impression of her should be stronger than that, offer peace but still has enough military to defend her people, knew sometimes she should run to keep the hope to reveal the truth and would be smarter to see Maul's goal as a politician.

Not just her characterization is not impressive in season 5, the Maul arc could be much better done if they focus on it rather than just use 4 episodes, Maul could link Obi Wan, Sidious, Anakin and Dooku, the Black Sun, the Hutt, the Mandalorians, the Jedi and the Sith, all these factions could be involved in the arc and make season 5 the best one, too bad it's not the case.

As for Obi Wan, I don't like he got too many romance and in the same time, especially during the period around 22-20 BBY. He went by himself, the conversation between him and Anakin

is deleted probably to make him look better, but he still borrowed the ship from Anakin so he had a chance to ask for help.

Now we all see the episode, if Anakin was there it could make a big difference, he could stay on Twilight and fly it much sooner once Obi Wan and Satine was out. I don't know why was he taunting Maul when he was choking Satine, Maul was trying to lure him to the Dark Side so he would not kill Satine in short time. But after he was enraged by Obi Wan he decided to kill her to make him "share his pain". I admit I'm a bit frustrated when I read the book and watched this episode for these reasons. He gives me the impression that he loves Satine, but still couldn't totally break from the Jedi discipline. I'm not surprised of Maul and the Jedi Council's decision, but I had a bit hope in him, too bad, and that's why I don't like him.

Well I expected Satine's death 10 months ago after Maul's return and I was right about how would she die. I bought the book and read 2 weeks before the episode. However, it's still very sad to see her die in the episode, especially her character wasn't handled well in season 5, and I guess this one is probably the last TCW episode I'm going to watch. Maybe, maybe I will have interest in certain arc if it's really interesting, but definitely not follow it every week.

Alas, Duchess Satine.

Order66Survivor and Paparazzo like this.
  17. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
  18. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    The reason they didn't "immediately fly out of there" had nothing to do with Anakin, but a worn out, barely working ship. I know you want to find some alternate route so that Satine would be saved, but face it son, she's dead (to quote Cliegg Lars). All any of us can say is that Anakin may or may not have made a difference (and yes, your response is that bringing Anakin would have increased the odds of saving her. With that way of thinking, Obi-Wan should have brought Cody and some battleships as well to give him better odds.)

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  19. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    But with Anakin prepared he could start to fly it up right after they got out and activate the weapon to help clear a few more Death Watch, rather than the two got out-run to the ship and block the attack at the same time-start activate it, he also got better control of the ship and better pilot skills.

Yes, if Obi Wan could bring these it would be great, but he didn't, and in the book he refused Anakin's help when Anakin was eagerly willing to.

20. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Still no guarantee that Anakin's presence would have saved Satine. You're grasping at straws to save someone the writers wanted to kill. Believe me, had the writers put Anakin in the ship, Satine would still have died, so really, Obi-Wan leaving Anakin behind had zero to do with Satine's death.

21. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    It would greatly increase the chance, even before they knew what would happen since they will surely need to fly this ship well, and two is usually better than one.

22. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    I liked her character, but I don't think she lived up to her full potential. Her debut in Season 2 was well done but the Corruption episodes were terrible, and ever since Season 4 her character has been lost in the shuffle of bigger events. She really could have benefited from further development in more episodes, maybe even treated as more of a mainstay character who could exist outside the Mandalore arc.

23. Merric

Merric Jedi Master star 3

Jan 26, 2013
    I feel really bad they had to kill her off. I was just beginning to like her. I just can't get over the feeling that the only reason she was killed was so they could replace her with Bo-katan... She had so much going for her...

24. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    What chance? There was no chance no matter who came. Had Anakin gone, the writers still would have killed off Satine. Besides, did we really want Anakin and Ahsoka shoehorned into another arc?

25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    We are talking about in game plot right? Just like we can't say Dooku shouldn't be partly blamed for the rise of the Empire since it's settled in OT. Obi Wan surely didn't play a Dooku like role, but he has his fault.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.