main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The Official Episode VII and the EU thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Allana_Rey, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Chewie lived from ROTS to the OT with minimal change, and I do believe that it was touched upon behind the scenes that in ROTS Chewie is relatively young compared to the elder/ more bulked up wookiees like Tarfful. Nowhere is it established by Lucas AFAIK that wookiees are so long lived as hundreds of years (though that also doesn't mean that Lucas didn't approve such details about the character in notes or in collaboration with the EU), but if he was still toward the younger end of the spectrum after 20+ years, I don't think he's going to wind up dead in the next few decades from old age while someone like Luke went from infant to adult.

2. awesomejedi

awesomejedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    As much as I love NJO and Legacy era they should be and will be scrapped in the new movies, therefore Chewie is alive, unless it takes place long, long after RotJ. However, in the film someone needs to die otherwise the main characters will seem invincible.

3. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    So , EU some guy writes whatever he wants and we have to please all these people? Nah, they should be selective what they use . The movie universe being alternative universe would be terrible, I rather have fan fiction as alternate universe. Let the movies do what they want as long as it's reasonable. I hated the alternative universe of the Star Trek films. My brother and I some what Trek fans both hated it. He's more of a Trek fan than I am though.

Because if I acknowledge EU I have to acknowledge that there are 10000s of other stories after the films that I know nothing about . And that means I'll be left confused what the hell is going on in episode 7 unless they accommodate all those stories. I rather they just make a film that they feel is best to take place after episode 6. My brother and I scoff at the idea of reading all the expanded universe material just to see if Disney "messes" up. Some one right now is writing a star wars fan fiction novel ....

4. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    When the first film came out in '77, the associated material that was released billed him as, "Chewbacca, the 200 year old Wookiee".

5. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    LOL, Chewie will most definitly be back. Also they won't address it. He was alive at the end of ROTJ, he'll be alive for the sequel to ROTJ.

6. Darth_Xeres

Darth_Xeres Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 3, 2010
    Jango_Fett21:

Thanks once again for a detailed answer. I'm not sure I agree with your position, but I understand and respect it.

TheWolfe22:

But when they're saying that, do they mean "the EU will be de-canonized but we're excited we have all this already-created material at our fingertips from which we can cherry-pick the characters, ships, items, ideas, etc. that we like" or are they saying "the EU will remain fully canon and we will do our best to incorporate as much of it as we can in the new movies"? I love the EU, but if these are the only two choices, I I'd pick the first one. And what do you make of the "Episode 7 will feature a completely original plot" comment? That one seems to argue against the EU remaining canon.

JackG:

At the time Lucas made that "no more Star Wars films" statement, he almost certainly believed it himself. But people can and do change their minds as time passes, even on once strongly-held beliefs, and that's alright. Expecting the ST to adhere to the post-ROTJ EU out of principle alone is IMO misguided. Disney/LFL will do whatever they think is best for the new movies and the franchise overall, and that too is alright. Lucas may have said so aloud, but as far as I know he has never signed a legally binding document stating that there would never be new movies, or that if some other entity bought LFL and wanted to make new movies that did not adhere to the EU, he would oppose that course on principle alone.

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  7. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I doubt they will have Chewie be dead in the new trilogy. The best idea would to just pick what EU stuff they want to be canon, and ignore other stuff.

8. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    The majority of the audience watching the ST will not even know the NJO books exist to be honest. Lucasfilm and Disney aren't there to pander to us Star Wars nerds, they're ultimately there to make a big grossing film, and having an absent Chewie because he died in some obscure Star Wars novel would not be a great idea.

I like the idea of simply treating the EU as an alternate timeframe. Jar Jar went back in time and sneezed on a leaf. Damnit Jar Jar.

yodasbum and Yodahasgreenfeet like this.
  9. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    HA HA HA HA!!!!
    Nice one.

10. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    I think it is funny how people think that just because it is not first grade(GL ) canon something vanishes. How some people word it always sounds as if there is going to be a major *poof* and all novels and comics somehow vanish to never be retrieved again.

11. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    As I pointed out before, they said it was years ago, it seems most EU fans just ignored the fact.

12. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    No one is saying that (infact myself and others have said the opposite), but to believe the movies are going to continue the EU stories (by having Jaina and Ben as the main characters with their back stories in tact) is just silly. They won't.

13. Wookiee_Vader

Aug 21, 2007
    Really? I missed that.

14. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    I've said this before, but I think the idea of three consecutive generations of action heroes is just plain lame. Call me jaded or a jerk if you want, but I don't buy the idea of the children of the main characters saving the galaxy. And again, I don't buy Han Solo even having children. The whole idea of "Solo twins" and such is lazy thinking as far as concepts go.

15. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    He's right, it was described as an alt universe at some point. All this talk about the EU being "canon" was news to me.

16. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    he's only dead in the EU level canon, not movie level canon. I would NEVER see the movie if it excluded Chewbacca. And I would not see it if Luke was just a bachelor hermit (like George would want him to be if he was in charge). Actually...probably won't see it at all. Just wanted to add my input re: Chewbacca

17. Wookiee_Vader

Aug 21, 2007
    Well then, that puts it to bed doesn't it? However, if it is the official view of Lucasfilm that the EU is an alternate universe, then they can't really cherry pick stuff from it either I guess. All or nothing?

18. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    Unfortunately, it doesn't put it to bed, no.

19. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    This explains the situation:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon

20. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    See, people just ignore it.

And sure, the movie people can cherry pick stuff if they want too

LUCAS: "I don't read that stuff. I haven't read any of the novels. I don't know anything about that world. That's a different world than my world. But I do try to keep it consistent. The way I do it now is they have a Star Wars Encyclopedia. So if I come up with a name or something else, I look it up and see if it has already been used. When I said [other people] could make their own Star Wars stories, we decided that, like Star Trek, we would have two universes: My universe and then this other one. They try to make their universe as consistent with mine as possible, but obviously they get enthusiastic and want to go off in other directions."

21. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    saying they are excited to acquire that much material doesn't mean they aren't going to contridict things. They haven't said that, in fact everything that ever come out of lucasfilm on the subject has said the EU will always change to fit what the filmmaker (Lucas in the past) want to do. The EU will not get in the way of the filmmakers telling the story(s) they want to tell.

Why? Should the (on principle) ST not be made because they said they wouldn't at one point?

22. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon

And to cap it off, only the most recent releases of any of the movies are top-level canon.

23. Wookiee_Vader

Aug 21, 2007

No..... that's not true....... that's IMPOSSIBLE

24. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Chewie is is dead: how would they address it, if at all?

I think the premise of the thread is false. Chewie isn't dead until it happens in a movie.

25. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    'Fraid so! Read the link! :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.