main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official 'How Did You Star Wars Today' Thread

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Sinrebirth , Sep 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Robimus as a member of both the Mandalorian Fan Club and a participant in some of the other threads I can see exactly where you are coming from. Some threads are devoted to more serious topics within their subject area (the Mandalorian Fanclub), others are a bit less serious and contain their share of lighthearted roleplay (the Wes Janson club). Still others, like the Guardians of Light, have become the home base for discussing more serious RPing going on in the RP forums.

When I began posting in the Senate it was a mixture of the light RPing and trying to tackle the serious concerns of the EUC as a whole. This proved difficult as serious discussions oft times devolved into silliness. I know I myself contributed to that. The problem was recognized and there have been some attempts to now fix that.

Discussions have been ongoing in the Senate to reinvent the thread and seperate the two roles. From what I understand (and correct me Senators if I am wrong here) it had been decided that the Senate would deal with the real world issues of the EUC in a serious manner. As a place where the members of the various threads could discuss issues that cross thread lines, I think this would be the place where you could voice your concerns and "advertise" the events going on within a thread and expect it to be met in a dignified way.

The new "Lower house" (I am unsure if we settled on a name for it) would than consist of the "less serious" elements and light RPing that you see going on in many of the threads here. The details on that are still being worked out.

I think that this is a good solution to the problem we had. Both elements need to be able to be heard. I know I tend to jump between the two and post the more serious stuff in the mando thread and keep my silliness elsewhere when possible. You should feel free to join us in the Senate thread, one need not be a Senator to have their voice heard. I know as a leader in the Mando thread you have always had good ideas and been well spoken there. Your input elsewhere in the EUC would be most welcome.

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    If we had some Gand (or even findsmen)appreciation, I may join in on that. Or a general bounty hunters' guild. All in support of my favorite mentally-ill findsman, Zuckuss.

Anywho, I was going to post a Corran and Mirax pic, but the holiday gift art exchange thread isn't up yet, so now it's sitting on my Imageshack. And, I'm wearing a SW t-shirt. I plan to work on some sketches of Han tonight. Perhaps start planning out another painting. And thus, that was how I SW'd my day.

3. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    And thats an awesome idea, but it also highlights some of the issues I'm thinking about. Unless I'm forgetting, this change was never mentioned in the fan clubs, at least not the ones I look at.

Now I stopped looking at the Senate thread some time back because it struck me that most of what was going on there at that time wasn't something I was interested in/ the discussion wasn't of a serious nature.

I also think that this thread should be two seperate topics, as lumping in the "What can we do to make this place better" type discussion doesn't really mesh with the more light hearted "How did you Star Wars today" stuff.

Eidt: Now having looked at the Senate thread I still find the new system somewhat lacking and still pretty clearly focused on the RPG elements of the forum.

4. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Very true, we have kind of gone off on a tangeant here. But I will say this, no announcement was made in the various fanclubs, probably because the details of how the lower house would work have not been finalized yet. However the Senate thread is now pretty much reserved for serious discussion only. It has become a place where no one is posting "in character" so much as posting for what we all really are, fans of Star Wars. As noted that discussion is currently centered on resolving the exact nature of the Senate and a potential "lower house". I am sure that once everything has been finalized an announcemnt will be made and at least one new thread created. In any case, I know that I consider the Mando fanclub my "homethread" even if I am not as active there as I am in others. I will let all my fellow mando fans know about the changes when and if they occur.

5. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    This should be linked to the Senate thread lest people miss it. Or just moved over there entirely.

Now as to changes being communicated I think a heads up about discussions about a serious shift in the role of the senate should have also been communicated.

Frankly I think we end up a little bit too hung up on who is a Senator and who is a Chancellor and the like. Like I mentioned when I used to go into the Senate thread I really never found anything there beyond playfulness, so I stopped going there. Now clearly discussions have been tabled looking at this very issue but I wonder how many people know about them?

6. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Robimus - I think part of the problem at least with the Mando thread is that we've attempted to get you involved and it was met with adamant responses about not wanting to have anything to do with the Senate. So there was a place for you to announce the Learn to Speak Mando (which I think would've gone over really well) but you didn't use it because in the past you never wanted to know what the Senate did. I know when I was Chancellor the Mando thread was on the list of threads who had requested to not receive updates from the Senate and you did not want to vote in Chancellor elections.

7. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    And back on track with this thread's initial purpose. ;)

My four year old daughter had her Christmas concert/play today at pre-school. Very cute, her and a bunch of other four year olds dressed up as Angels and shepherds and what not singing Silent Night and so forth. Anyway we had our three year old son with us to watch as well and he suddenly pipes up. "Daddy why are there jedi here?" as he is pointing at the little boys dressed up in shepherd robes. The entire audience hears this and starts laughing. I guess I am raising him right. :p

So yeah it's not how I "Star Warsed" today, but my son got in a good one. :D

8. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Well for the first time in about seven months I am drawing, and it is something SW O:)

And I am wearing my 'Miraluka' glasses, made all the more special since they were a free find at the last apartment :p

9. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Here's the exact type of thing posted in the Mandalorian Fan Club by Sinre.

This seems like its far from a serious approach to anything. It says something, something about something about the Fan Club appointing a Moff, or having one appointed for us by Sinre or Jello or somebody. After discussion we opted not to take part in this particular game, which is what it appeared to be to me. We even tried to play along while making it clear that we were not interested.

I was unaware that we ever requested not to recieve updates about the EUC as a whole, but perhaps it was something I missed or have forgotten. Perhaps you could quote this request that we made so that my memory could be refreshed.

Please note that we did take part in the banner submission event, which just happened to be a non roleplaying endeavor that was brought to us by Bardan. I don't think our intention was ever to live in a vacuum within the EUC, I'm sorry if thats how we came across.

I'm just reading this thread as Sinre asking for suggestions about how to boost intetest in the EUC, ideas about how to create new clubs that people are interested in so on, so forth. I'm certainly not suggesting that the EUC reinvent the wheel here, the status quo is fine. I'm just trying to generate ideas.

10. GenSkywalker

GenSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2010
    Haha, I love that!!!!! I told my dad about this and he got a kick out of it (especially since he's atheist).

11. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    I diligently worked on the EUC Jedi Wikia! I am waist deep in old RP threads, notes, requests, and coding at the moment. All the while I have been watching SW:TCW season 1 & 2.

12. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    Like this:

[image=https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/406847_2494732694138_1427430222_32460817_1212408819_n.jpg]
    (unfinished, but you get the idea)

see design instructions here.

13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    That is awesome!

Anywho, just wearing my Boba Fett costume hoodie today. Printed out my Aurebesh chart for offline art reference (still memorizing it), and so far... that's it. I'm tempted to break out my Sculpey and make a large-scale sculpture, as opposed to my usual tiny figurines.

14. aalagartassle

aalagartassle Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2011
    Today I star wars it by the following
    Read a chapter of Shadow games
    put on SW t-shirt [rip off ; yoda saying "pull my finger you must"
    played lightsabers with the kids
    played star wars snap and memory with kids
    played lego star wars
    worked on fan fiction.
    Drank coffee from star wars mug

Why do I like SW?
    When I was young, I used to watch A New Hope nearly every day after school.
    After A hiatus of 6 years, [university and sporting pursuits[ I was camping in Europe and my friend and I went to a book shop. I bought a copy of The Empire Strikes Back.
    Now that I'm all grown up[sic]I collect the books, read them and highlight them for bits of trivia.
    So I guess it's something I use to do and something I still enjoy.

15. MasterDillon

MasterDillon Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 28, 2010
    For me it has always been the every lasting battle between good, and evil. I've always loved Star Wars becasue it reminds me of how we are in actual human nature in the fact that we all can do some really great good, but also some very terrible things. Anyway today I did Star Wars by playing Battlefront II.

16. BlueHeron

BlueHeron Jedi Master star 2

Oct 28, 2003
    Worked on a Star Wars Wiki (same one as CPL :p )

17. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    My son got up from under his Clone Wars quilt cover and sheet set this morning and before his shower took off his Star Wars PJ's and after the shower put a Star Wars T Shirt on.....my son is 12, I have trained him very well......

Just after Christmas, I donned my brand new Jedi Dressing gown and with my hood up and hands joined I approached my husband from behind.

He turns slightly. "I felt your presence" I returna slight smile..

"How could you have, I opened them all at Christmas."

18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    On Christmas Day, I was walking down to the Sheetz store for some free coffee, and I was wearing my Boba Fett hoodie. Someone drove by in a van and yelled out the window "Star Wars is GAY!" [face_plain]

Today, I sketched, drew a model sheet, built an armature, and started sculpting a large-size SW figure.

19. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Another holiday, another Star Wars T Shirt for my son....worked out he owns 36 SW Shirts in all, since he was 4.....

20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    As someone was walking outside to smoke and saying that they were trying to quit, I replied "No! Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no 'try'."

As for today... aside from my usual Wookieepedia-ing... not much. Though, yesterday, as I was lugging my laundry six blocks, "Almost there... Stay on target..."

21. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Hmmm. Perhaps some Yoda philosophy would help me in my quest to quit smoking also. If it's only do or do not... perhaps I might stop backsliding and procrastinating and actually do it!

I just spent several long hours on Tumblr having a deep discussion of Thrawn, Palpatine, Leia's daddy issues, and the Yuuzhan Vong with various friends. And then I went and philosophized for far too long about Vergere. (These are all signs that I need a job, or else I'll just Star Wars all day...)

22. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    By getting this AWESOME early birthday present (and wearing it proudly like the Imperial fangirl that I am):

[image=http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7179/6871716613_3273dfb4ed_m.jpg]

:D

23. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    By getting on here, watching Episode IV in school today, and listening to Weird "Al" Yankovic's song "the Saga Begins":D

24. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Took the whole family to go see Phantom Menace in the theater today. My two kids are too young to have ever seen it on the big screen, and my wife had never even seen Episode I before. She isn't a big scifi fan in general, but she tolerates my Lego Star Wars obsession, so that has to count for something right? ;)

Anyway we opted for the non-3D showing because trying to keep those 3D glasses on a three year old is a no-go. Worked out great, we ended up having the theater to ourselves. That allowed my son to be as loud as he wanted to, a good thing as he screamed "roger, roger" every time a battle droid appeared on screen and during the final battle in the palace he kept saying "We've captured a command post". I think he may have watched me play Battlefront a few too many times. [face_whistling]

His favorite part was when "Obi-wan was hanging off the cliff and he got Qui-Gon's lightsaber and sliced Darf Maul." My daughter seconded that and than wondered if Darth Maul had died. I wasn't sure how to answer that, thanks TCW. :rolleyes: My wife's favorite part was the end. Oh well, three out of four in the family as geeks ain't bad. :-B

25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I wore my Watchmen Stormtrooper t-shirt today, and currently, my needing-to-be-cut hair is in a grown-out Luke moptop. I used the Force during a pool tourney and won by default because the other player pocketed the 8-ball during a different shot.

Such a hollow victory...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.