main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indi, IN The OFFICIAL Indy Knights AOTC Response Thread!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Qui-John, May 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-John

Qui-John Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 8, 1999
    I figured that the reviews from all y'all will start flowing in like the waters in the southern part of our viewing area tonight. So we can all have a singular gathering place to compare notes, reactions, feelings, goose-bumpy moments, etc., I figured we might as well start a thread for it!

BIG NOTE: No spoilers are allowed in the Fan Force forums until Monday, so keep that in mind when posting through this weekend!!

So. What did you think of it? :D

2. Spencerian

Spencerian Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2002
    This was a great SW movie in all respects. I've really begun to debate if this was better than ESB. I'm beginning to think so.

3. QUEEN-KARENDALA

QUEEN-KARENDALA Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    ~*~*~*~* I LLLLLOOOOOOOOVVVVVVEEEEEDDDDD IT *~*~*~*~

:D

4. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    I honestly do think it's the best Star Wars movie. Like I said this morning, the first 15 minutes or so were a little choppy/hokey, but after that, it flowed smoothly. A few CGI things were off, but I can understand the coordination of it. I loved it so much that as soon as it over I already missed it and wanted to see it again. I can't wait until Saturday!!!!

5. Jedimama

Jedimama Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 1999
    It was definately not ESB. The original films still have the spark that this trilogy lacks. That being said, I had a blast watching AOTC. Overall it was an awesome film. I was blown away. Yes, there were some cheesy parts (the hills are alive with the sound of muuuuu-sic..)... but how can we forget the ESB romance scenes..? (my hands are dirty, too...) *sigh*
    It was Star Wars, baby!! Cheese and all! :D
    The thing I found myself really surprised at (besides finding myself actually having to go to the bathroom during the movie!! Curse that diet pepsi!) was Jar-Jar. I hated him last time, but this time I found myself feeling sympathy for him, for his role in the events that are unfolding in the galaxy. Jar Jar is such an innocent soul, and that innocence is being manipulated.
    Of course, it also helped that he had very little screen time, and when he was seen and heard we could actually understand him!!
    ANd as for the main dude of the film, Padawan Skywalker, I have to admit that young
    Hayden kicked booty!! Not so much with the lightsabre, but in his intensity. I found his confession of love to be very believable. He's 19, he's passionate and the look on his face was classic teenage angst. AFter seing AOTC, there is no doubt in my mind that Hayden will always be Anakin for me. He was incredible.
    I really liked the way galactic events are beginning to come together. Some baddy is pulling a lot of puppet strings, and is very smart. This movie showed us just how deep the deception goes and how truly dangerous a certain individual rteally is. It's like a chess game on a galactic scale, and you-know-who has been planning his moves for a looooong time and people are walking right into his web on by one. It was chilling to watch.
    SO there is my early-morning review of AOTC.
    WHo wants to go see it again with me tonight??????? :DOh yeah - one more thing:
    Yoda!!!!

6. DroidboyB9

DroidboyB9 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 16, 2002
    Well I ended up sleeping through most of it. I know, I am the very worst of all Star Wars fans and I should be banned.

While I can't comment on the story, because, well, I missed most of it, I can say there were some disturbing things about the CGI.

I thought Yoda looked very CGI and that bothered me. I liked Yoda as a puppet. He looked real to me that way. So all in all I was pretty disapointed with him. I know he had to have much more anamatic abilities, but it was too bad that he had to go the way of the computer. His dialog also bothered me. I am used to these profound, backwards statements, and not the large amounts of dialog. And he didn't talk backwards enough.

Also, some of the backgrounds looked too CGI, but I am going to reserve my thoughts on that until I see it correctly...in digital.

Gregg

7. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Dawn, what time do you want to go? If you wanna get in right after work time I can just come to your place after work. I am so ready to see it again!

8. Naboo Queen

Naboo Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 1999
    Yoda. Yo-yo-yo-yo-yo-o-da! Yo-yo-yo-yo-yo-da-a!

9. Croda

Croda Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2002
    The biggest complaint I saw in reviews before seeing the movie was about Hayden and Natalies acting. I thought that Hayden did an awesome job and Nats did a good job. If there was a problem with the love story it was either in the directing or editing, not the acting. The pacing of it was a bit off I thought. Of course I had read the book and the reviews and was paying special attention to that so maybe most won't notice. Awesome movie all around though. I am going to see it again tonight. 2nd time around is always the best. First time you're just taking it all in for the first time and it's a lot to digest. Second time you're in familiar territory and can relax into it. I'll have more to say after tonight's viewing but I had to say something now cause I'm just....so....damn....excited! I better stop now cause containing spoilers is very difficult. More later...

10. Croda

Croda Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2002
    Oh blast, I forgot to disagree with DroidboyB9 (no offense) in my post. I thought they did a great job of animating Yoda. Gave him more character with the right amount of finesse so that it wasn't a shocking difference from the other films. Yoda was perfect. The more I talk about it the more excited I get. Can't wait till my next viewing tonight.

Master Croda

11. Riijmon

Riijmon Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2002
    Just wanted to start off with AWESOME!! Yoda is the best, and Clone Troopers are cool!!
    I just signed up today to send my first post to say thanks to the Indyknights for inviting me to the midnight show, and that at Celebation2 you did a great job!!!
    I can't wait to see it again...

12. OriginalBryGuy

OriginalBryGuy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2002
    Yea, so much to say and so little time!

Again, thanks IndyKnights for the midnight show! I'm off today so I have to make this quick as I'm seeing the movie again at 1:10 and 4:20 Thursday. If I can't 'SEE' it digital, I'd like to at least 'HEAR' it in THX. (Sorry Jason, wherever you are) Was it just me or was the sound kinda low in Auditorium 8? =P

AOTC is so much better then Episode I the whole thing makes my head spin. And what special effects? Amidala in a hot tight leather outfit, the midriff in white? How does she do it! Then there's all the other ILM stuff. Almost too much to soak in as it goes by way too quick.

2 hours 20 minutes...didn't feel like it to me. Jar Jar...barely noticed him. C3PO's comments. A little over the top if you count the two back to backs comments during the war, but hey, I'll take C3PO as a comic relief over Jar Jar....anytime!

If I had any problems with it I'd have to say editing, dialogue and some CGI on the characters. And that's not much kids, this Star Wars "is" the real deal.

If you don't like the love story, just sit and watch HPOA Amidala slithering around.

For all the knocks Hayden and Natalie got for their acting...don't believe it. These over the hill reviewers spouting how bad of actors they are don't realize just how good these actors are. You can see it in other films. They do what they can with Lucas's campy dialogue but make it beleivable, even showing some true emotion. Good stuff.

Yoda was great, tho fight scene was too short. I'll be slowing that one down on the DVD for years!

Bottom Line: The jury is still out to whether Lucas has truly lost his creative edge as I mentioned in USATODAY. But, for now at least, it looks like he (and Hales) have put together a movie worthy of the Star Wars name. See it and believe it!

13. Lord_Ruthven_00

Lord_Ruthven_00 Jedi Youngling

Mar 20, 2001
    If there was ever a movie that delivered everything that it promised, AotC was it.

Of course everyone at my work asked me how it was, how long I was in line, were there any freaks (besides me ;)), and the most important, am I tired. well, it was worth it.

I was impressed overall. I was expecting something less organized and flat from what I had heard on the radio and TV. they were dead wrong. I liked the one-liners and foreshadowing quips, that's classic SW. The CG I thought was awesome, and I loved the way that Hayden looked. There are very few people that could pull that mischevious look, but with the look that there was some serious bad things going on in his head. There's a strom brewing there...

14. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    I've got minor complaints, so minor that I shouldn't mention them, but I really need to see the movie again to get past them. Living off of spoilers for 3 years, I was completly thrown by the stuff that was cut out (I think Jedimama mentioned this about Ep1 a while ago)...anyhow, I'm sure most of it deserved to be cut, but editing down the Mace Vs. Jango Vs. Reek was criminal. Having no "nightclub" music was annoying as well. The crappiest sports bar on the eastside of Indy blares music louder than anything on TV, don't know why this place didn't.

Alright, I don't think there's enough time to go thru everything I love about this movie. First and foremost, Palpatine & Obi-Wan completely stole the show every chance they got. Loved every second of it! The look of the movie, especially the end, was fantastic. When I was flipping thru the Art of Ep2 AOTC, I realized that no spoilerific text could have prepared me for what I saw....but even the book doesn't do the movie justice. Dex was a great new character, and the bad @$$ Super Battle Droid who smashed the smaller Battle Droid out of his way to get a better shot is my new second favorite character ( [face_laugh] ).

I liked the love story angle, the foreshadowing was very cool. A scene with Padme contemplating her feelings without Anakin Girlstalker around would have helped balance it a bit (I think this was in there with Padme's family...or was...hopefully DVD re-inclusion). Really though, Anakin's building Padme up in his mind for ten years, and being as rash as he is...it's completely believable (and really, quite accurate I think).

Anyway, I loved the movie...not 100% sure if it will ever beat out ESB, but it has to overcome a lot of nostaligia which may be impossible. When I see it again I'll have a better feel for it. :D

15. Naboo Queen

Naboo Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 1999
    I'm with Sebulba on Palpatine stealing the movie (after Beru, of course). I also loved the Dug and his "Jedi Poodoo" line.

The romance was rather comical, though I'm not sure it was always inteded to be. I see scenes like Anakin and Padme's on my soap every day. (Why didn't she break into song in her Sound of Music moment?)

Obi-Wan was great. Very Alec Guiness like.
    There were also some very funny lines.

16. Incom4

Incom4 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 4, 2001
    Well all I have to say is I loved it. This was worth the wait to see. As far as it being better than ESB...I don't think so. Here is my new ranking of my favorite SW films.

1. ESB
    2. SW
    3. AOTC
    4. PM
    5. ROTJ

It WAS alot better than PM but it still cannot beat ESB and SW.

But it will kick sh**t out of Spiderman

17. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    I loved the "plans" that were passed on. Wish it had been a little more subtle, but excellent nonetheless.

18. YodaOnMyLeg

YodaOnMyLeg Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 10, 2001
    I thought Yoda was done very well. I do wish the fight sequence was a little longer. I will agree that some of the backgrounds were a little "off". Sometimes they just did not seem to blend well. Maybe a digital showing will clean that up.

I thought the Ewan and Hayden did a great job. But, Natalie just seemed bored with her lines. Her delivery of the lines were too robotic, lacking real feeling at times. I think I need to view a couple of more times.

Overall, I loved it. I love the foreshadowing to the OT. I cant wait for Ep 3.

19. Boba_Binks

Boba_Binks Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 7, 2001
    I will agree with DroidBoy on what he said.
    I was very tired and kept dozing off during the movie. It was good, I liked it alot. But it is not the best of the saga so far.
    I will go see it again and again. So who wants to go?

So, since they show the future "plans" in this movie, does this mean that from all the books that mention how the "plans" were developed are now wrong? Or could the next movie possabably show the continuation of the plans and show what we all know about the "plans" and its history?

Also, I liked how they mentioned in the movie an event that has happened in the book "Rouge Planet".

20. MundiJade

MundiJade Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 5, 2000
    Hey count me in David! I like to go Friday or Saturday sometime. ;)

21. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    The Exploited Universe being wrong is usually a given in my book. I'm sure there's a "write around" that the authors are scrambling to come up with so everyone can sleep better at night(like they are doing to explain away all the Boba Fett back stories).

Easter Eggs!!!

From what I've heard, not seen mind you:

- George Lucas is in the Senate during the Jar Jar speech.
    - A redish Falcon-esque ship is parked on Naboo when Anakin/Padme arrived (TF.N posted a pic from the trailer, I forgot to look.
    - Durning Yoda's "voice over" meditation scene Vader's breathing can be heard

And one I did see, but didn't make the connection....Jango hitting his head on the closing Slave 1 Cargo Door as he and Boba leave Kamino!

[image=http://www.sportg.com/brian/pics/271_doh.jpg]

22. Jedimama

Jedimama Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 1999
    I'm going again in a few hours - I can't wait to catch that Vader breathing scene! I missed it last night!!! That is very cool!

23. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    I thought it was the Tuskins' screaming (pretty sure that was in there), but it's quite possible that Vader's breating is mixed in as well.

24. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Well what about "Qui-Gon's voice" yelling Anakin's name? I remember hearing the voice, just it never registered who it came from. I assumed it was Yoda, for some reason.

25. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    ;) Yeah, I was trying to avoid saying that because of spoiler issues...but I think everyone here has seen the movie, so I don't think we need to wait until Monday...at least in the Indianapolis Forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.