main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Star by Star discussion thread (Spoilers from EOV and SBS)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by anyueman, Aug 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    It doesn't make sense to me to kill him three books after he found the Balance Point. I don't think he'll go but I don't really know. And how do we know that somebody dies. Now I heard somebody say that the author said so but has anybody confirmed for sure.

2. Bogga

Bogga Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    If family member of Jaina does indeed die in Star By Star, do you have any idea how many fans are going to be upset that the next book only focuses on one characters response to the death? People complained when we got an Anakin book after BP since they wanted a Han/Leia book but this will be even bigger.

I just don't get how they are going to focus on Jaina if a Solo dies. How can they possibly ignore the other 3 Solos?

3. Schildawg

Schildawg Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 9, 1999
    Unless somehow Jaina falls passionately in love with Kyp in SbS, develop the relationship meaningfully, and then kill off Kyp.

That would be pretty weak though, and very hard to pull off convincingly.

4. Perator

Perator Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 3, 2000
    I think that is Jacen is going to die, it will be right at the beginning of Dark Journey. That would be much more interesting, starting off a novel with a big death, and seeing how Jaina deals with it from her perspective. Way better than killing him at the end of SBS. Furthermore, it allows other significant characters to die in SBS.

I think that Corran is very likely to die in SBS. I doubt some big movies character will die.

Regarding LUke Skywalker possibly dying, it could go either way:

-- If Luke dies in Star by Star, he would somehow sacrifice himself to push the Jedi Order onwards towards surviving the Vong. This would make sense, as SBS is the center of the NJO story, and his death would force the New Jedi to take an action independant of the older Jedi, hence creating the New Jedi Order.

-- If Luke survives SBS, my guess is he would die in the 5th HC. He wuld sacrifice himself in the final effort to repel the Vong. His death would represent the end of his Jedi Order, leaving only the New Jedi.

Has anyone considered C-3PO or R2-D2 getting "killed"? I think a scene of them being torn up by the Vong as abominations would be a good way to kill a main character without having to deal with too many emotional reaction sidelines. I think at least one of them will get destroyed in Star by Star. (Imagine it: C-3PO yelling "We're doomed!" as the Vong dismantle them, while R2-D2 zaps them with his electric current spike thing before getter ruined too.)

Just me 2 cents

Perator [face_devil]

5. AmericanBadass

AmericanBadass Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2001
    If it's a possibility that there can be more than one death in Star by Star, what if the death that ivolves Jaina is Zekk? True, he has yet to be mentioned in the New Jedi Order at this point in time, but the NJO has taken several characters from the Young and Junior Jedi Knight series, so while farfetched, it's not outside the realm of possibility.

6. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    Didn't I already say that?

7. AmericanBadass

AmericanBadass Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2001
    Well, I'm just agreeing with you. I think everyone else is too preoccupied with who else could possibly die, that they didn't give him a thought, or at least only game him a fleeting thought. Either that, or I can just be blowing a whole lot of hot air.

8. Mecca-Don

Mecca-Don Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 28, 2001
    Well, with a little more than a month to go before Star By Star is released, I think we can say it will probably be the most controversial Star Wars book yet going by all the talk on these boards. I think it's a little unfair though for people to say things like they are going to hate it because a certain character or characters die or that the book is going to cause them to give up on the NJO as a series because a certain planet is destroyed when they haven't read the book yet. But I guess those are just peoples opinions. Personally, I can't wait for Star By Star. All the talk of death and destruction in the book doesn't bother me, despite recent tragic events in the news.

9. AT-ST_DRIVER

AT-ST_DRIVER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    ne1 ever think that coruscant might not be invaded, as was planned? i mean, think about the incident last week. Maybe the author will stop the invasion in spite of it, just a thought. the vong should get thyferra and destroy the bacta. mybe it's abominable to them, as it heals and the vong blieve in pain.

10. JediMasterBrian4

JediMasterBrian4 Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2001
    I don't think that either Corran, Mara, or Kyp will die. Though out of these three Kyp would be the most likely.
    I also think that Keyes made Corran seem kind of weak. I disliked the comment that Corran made, (though Corran rules) when he told Anakin about people saying that he was the next Luke Skywalker, at the least. I didn't like it because most, if not all authors seem to underestimate Luke's power, and I believ Luke to be an extremely powerful Jedi. He became a Master after only 7 years. Anyone else see this?
    I don't really want to see a main character die, but if I had to guess, I would say Wedge. He is a well known character, and the X-Wing on the cover slightly suggests this.

11. Rogue_Starbuck

Rogue_Starbuck Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    I don't think it will be Wedge somehow ;)

Although I do agree that there is going to be some powerful events taking place in this book. I have a feeling it might be Tenal Ka that does not make it through the story. Since I have not read YJK books, her character is not very well known to me, so the impact might not be as harsh as Chewies was. But she might constitute a "deep personal loss" to Jaina. (?) Who knows?

12. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    If you want to use YJK characters to die and constitute that ?deep personal loss?; it would have to be Zekk, not Tenel Ka. Jaina and Zekk had a ?special thing? going on in the YJK books. It wouldn?t be very hard for the author to build up that relationship into something that, if ended with the death of Zekk, could force Jaina to the Dark Side. You could do the same thing with Jacen and Tenel Ka?s relationship. It might be harder than doing it for Jaina and Zekk?s, coinciding Jacen?s stance on aggression, but I don?t think it would be as hard as forcing Jaina to the Dark Side because of Tenel Ka?s death. And plus, if Tenel Ka is the person who is going to die, then Jaina?s hiding in the Hapes cluster afterwards makes even less sense than it already does. Not that I don?t want Jaina to go to the Hapes cluster, I just don?t think it makes much sense considering their hatred for Jedi and, most likely, her brothers in particular.

13. Rogue_Starbuck

Rogue_Starbuck Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    Maybe she has gone to Hapes as a mark of respect to Isolder over the death of his daughter? Or, maybe, Tenal Ka asked her to hang out with her there as Jaina grieves over Zekks death. One thing I do know is that all this speculating is making me impatient for the book to come out!! :D

14. princess_of_naboo

princess_of_naboo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2000
  15. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Luke to be an extremely powerful Jedi. He became a Master after only 7 years. Anyone else see this?

Heh. Obi-wan became a Master after seven minutes.

16. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    What is the meaning of this? ?[face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.