main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official SW:TCG Support Poll

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Kleff_Rixxard, Feb 20, 2002.

?

The Official SW:TCG Support Poll

Poll closed May 21, 2002.
  1. I will support WotC's New SW:TCG

32 vote(s)
    39.5%
  2. I will NOT support WotC's New SW:TCG

42 vote(s)
    51.9%
  3. I have not (or will not) taken a side on this issue

7 vote(s)
    8.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Achtung_Bubba

Achtung_Bubba Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2001
    I'm sure you're right. This is probably just a variation of the brand wars: Coke/Pepsi, Chevy/Ford, Microsoft/Apple/Linux. Now, it's Decipher/WotC.

I just would like to see the games debated on their own merits.

2. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    Well, yes. But to do that requires money. And too many people feel they have invested enough of their money in a Star Wars card game--and a good one.

Lucas Licensing violated a major rule of marketing: Give the people what they want. The people in this case wanted the keep the SWCCG, regardless who the manufacturer was. And now LL is seeing the results of that error in judgment.

3. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I just would like to see the games debated on their own merits.

That is exactly what I am doing. And the WOTC game has few merits to speak of.

4. Darksbane

Darksbane Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2002
    "That is exactly what I am doing. And the WOTC game has few merits to speak of. "

And when the Decipher SWCCG came out the premier set had even fewer merits. I think we all need to remember that we know very little about this game and should not expect it to have as much depth in its first expansion as SWCCG had after about 13. I will be supporting this game through the Sith rising expansion to give it the chance it deserves. After SR I will make my decision on continuing or not.

5. Anakin_Solo73

Anakin_Solo73 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2001
    I will NOT play Star Wars: TCG!!!!!!!!

6. Achtung_Bubba

Achtung_Bubba Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2001
    I quote:

I will NOT play Star Wars: TCG!!!!!!!!
    -----signature-----
    There is no emotion; there is peace.

Allow me a moment to snicker. ;)

7. Ocelot_X

Ocelot_X Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2001
    >>>No surprise, quite a few here refuse to give the game a fair chance

Why should I? I don't give most CCGs a fair chance and I doubt you or anyone else does either, why should SWTCG be different? Because it's Star Wars? Sorry, but that just isn't reason enough for me.

8. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    you gave Decipher's game a chance because it was Star Wars. I know I did. After several expansions and things just got more convoluted and it became apparent the designers didn't know what kind of game they wanted to make, I quit.
    The new game is a new game and I will give it the same fair chance I gave Decipher's game.

9. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    I had a big speel to say about the two games etc etc, but then I decided "What's the point?" I'm preaching to the choir for half of you, and the other half won't listen anyway.

As far as I'm concerned I'm not interested in a best out of three combat game at all, let alone Star Wars. I feel that I have harped on enough about my reasons for that.

:p

10. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    Well, I voted for NOT supporting because, though I will buy the starter game, I will not support this game, UNLESS it makes me feel better about Decipher losing it's licence, and the fans loseing their fun. It would have to be some hell of a game to make me forget about how much money I spent on SW:CCG cards! I better feel like I'm Luke Friggin Skywalker!

11. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    >>>>Why should I? I don't give most CCGs a fair chance and I doubt you or anyone else does either, why should SWTCG be different? Because it's Star Wars? Sorry, but that just isn't reason enough for me.

So... let me see if I understand your reasoning.
    It's not reason enough to give it a chance just because it is Star Wars. But it *is* reason enough to *not* give it a chance because it "caused the death of the best CCG ever"?
    I don't give most CCG's a fair chance either. But I also don't sit there and talk down about the games I don't and won't play. I cannot afford to play or try very many games. I will play a game if I like it and I won't if I don't. Some people no doubt like them and that's fine by me, let them have their fun. It's that simple.
    Just like I could care less if Michael Jordan tells me to buy some shoes or if Decipher is the one to make the game or not.

12. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    Yes, I did start playing the CCG because it was Star Wars, but once I stated playing it, I began to like it, and I fully support it now. I don't have time for two games, so I will continue to play the original.

13. Ocelot_X

Sep 16, 2001
    >>>So... let me see if I understand your reasoning.
    It's not reason enough to give it a chance just because it is Star Wars. But it *is* reason enough to *not* give it a chance because it "caused the death of the best CCG ever"?

Almost. Perhaps I hsould have been more specific. Among the games I HAVE tried are a couple WotC games, including Magic which is supposed to be their best thing ever. I never liked any of them even a little bit. Star Wars or no, it's still a WotC game, and I've learned that I tend not to like those. Also, trying the game costs money and time. Not trying it I can do for free. Since I have good reason to believe I won't like it anyway, I see no reason to waste my time or money on it.

14. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Decipher CCG... I miss you... :(

15. Jedikynes

Jedikynes Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 15, 2001
    I voted that I will not support WOTC's game. After reading the spoiler for the first of many Virtual Cards to come into being I feel like this is gonna be a brand new game. This virtual set is the best thing has happened to this game and it is only gonna get better.

16. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    The game releases in 58 days and this poll closes in 87 days. That gives us 29 days to try out the game for it's own merits before the poll closes. I wonder how this poll will swing once people with open minds actually give it a shot, even if they invest about $10 into it or just borrow a friends deck when limited resources are a major factor. (Can people change their vote or will the poll not allow that?)

17. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    You can't change you answer, but anyone who tries the game and would like to change your vote, just give a post alerting us of your "defection" to the Dark Side. LOL... Just kidding ;)

18. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
  19. Yodarth

Yodarth Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    I won't support it. The most I will think about is buying a starter so I can see how the game works. I said I'd give it a chance, and I already did. Fitting it with simple mechanics, wasting cheap packs because you're not guaranteed a rare, and Anakin having 1/4 line of game text was too much. SWCCG is where I'll stay.

20. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    The mechanics (except by playtesters) have not been reviewed in a full game yet with all the cards.
    The regular priced boosters do have a guaranteed rare in addition to (*not* replaced by) the possibilty of getting a holographic foil.
    The Anakin card is a promo common. Look at the first SWCCG Luke. He's playing with a toy for GS.

21. Kenix Kil

Kenix Kil Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2000
    I voted to support the TCG just because I am not going to judge a game until it is played. All of the reasons I have heard about people not wanting to play this game is just wining. WoTC did not seek out the license and Decipher lost it because they did one main thing. When you look at Magic (which is a different game from the CCG but still) you can start out by buying a couple of boxes of the latest and do very well in a tounement. With the CCG you had to buy many more cards to be competitive and had to pay more for each pack or box. I mean four or five dollars for a pack of R3? Compare that to the same number of cards in a pack for the new game for $3.29. And I am getting sick of hearing people complain about the 5 card packs. You dont like it? Dont buy it! Wizards is putting them out for someone with a couple of bucks laying around could buy a pack. It is not meant for everybody to buy them.

Also it was stated that Magic moved too fast to realize mistakes put into the game. The CCG had some mistakes too and you know what? Wizards moves very fast to correct them. Cant really say the same for Decipher in my decision.

Ok this is getting a bit long so I will try to end this fairly quickly. To Bib, Arite, and the others I suggest you give up your quest to hold onto a dead game. I have played many games that I thought were very good and they passed away. If you want security for a card game why not have the company that made the first (came out before the CCG) and longest running, succesful card game. Decipher could not make a decision on what type of game they wanted and made it extremlly difficult and expensive to get involed in the CCG. Wizards got the license because in Magic the cards are cheaper and you dont have to have all rares in your deck to win. Give the new game a chance and put some of that money that you used in the dead game into the new one.

22. Darksbane

Darksbane Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2002
    "With the CCG you had to buy many more cards to be competitive and had to pay more for each pack or box. I mean four or five dollars for a pack of R3? Compare that to the same number of cards in a pack for the new game for $3.29. "

Although I am in full support of the game R3 had around 18 cards per pack with 1 guaranteed foil, 3 premium cards, and the others random over a few sets. Definately a good value for the money if you needed old and new cards.

23. Kenix Kil

Kenix Kil Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2000
    Still the fact is with Magic and Wizards other games you dont need the old cards.

24. Anakin_Solo73

Anakin_Solo73 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2001
    Here is what will happen....

April, May, and June...All will seem well. A new movie and a renewed feeling. Some of those who say they will never touch the game might, just might pick up a few starters just to try it out. While the turn out isn't Pokemon, Magic, or Star Wars CCG numbers, it will be more than the expected numbers of an outright bomb.

July, August, September...The numbers start to die down. Why? The new expansion Sith Rising will add no new challenges to the game. People will be tired of just battling and roling dice all the time. Where is the excitment and depth that's present in a game like Star Wars CCG? Not there. Many old players start to fade away. Like Pokemon, kids will start to dominate.

October, November, December...A small spike in the numbers once again. The Original Trilogy will draw some of the older players back to the game in hopes of a renewed sense of depth to the game. May be we will see new rules and a new depth to the game. But, the game isn't designed like the old game. There is a sense among players that fighting over specific locations was better, moving between locations, and deploying any where is better than one massive battle in some generic location.

Jan., Feb., March 2003...The game is driven only by kid support, but not like Pokemon. Those who never experienced the old game in it's prime will be the only lasting survivors. Many of the kids might not be enough to drive the game itself. After all, Pokemon had a different marketing and audience than Star Wars does.

April, May, June 2003...The poor showing of the new game won't deter lucasfilm to transfer the game back to Decipher (They still want the game to be an in house event). Instead the old game mechanics will be scraped for a Second Edition. New Card types, new methods of playing the game, and new ways to win the game. Fully compatable with the old game. The question is will it be enough to draw back the former players? Only time will tell.

25. Ocelot_X

Sep 16, 2001
    >>WoTC did not seek out the license

They didn't? How do you imagine they came by it if they didn't seek it out?

LFL: Hey WotC guys, today's your lucky day! You're gonna make a Star Wars card game!
    WotC: Huh? What? We are?

>>>I mean four or five dollars for a pack of R3? Compare that to the same number of cards in a pack for the new game for $3.29.

More utter falsehood. R3 cost 4-5 dollars for 18 cards, including one guaranteed foil rare, and 3 other rare-level premiums. Decipher's 11-card packs had an MSRP of $3.29, exactly the same as WotC's 11-card packs. And on the singles market, Magic is at least twice as expensive as SWCCG.

>>>Also it was stated that Magic moved too fast to realize mistakes put into the game. The CCG had some mistakes too and you know what? Wizards moves very fast to correct them. Cant really say the same for Decipher in my decision.

So banning cards is the way to go? Great for all those players who spent all that money getting them, now they're not even allowed to use them anymore. With a few exceptions (almost all from Special Edition, which had the worst amount of cards to time for development ratio), any abusive strategy in SWCCG was handled much more elegantly by introducing new cards which work against it. I don't know how you can say Decipher never tried to correct imbalance issues in SWCCG. Defensive Shields are a whole card type dedicated to that concept, not to mention dozens of other similar cards released over the years.

>>>If you want security for a card game why not have the company that made the first (came out before the CCG) and longest running, succesful card game.

That argument only works if you're trying to get people to play Magic itself. WotC is notorious for not supporting any of their other CCGs. Just take a look at their website's Trading Card Games section, which contains Magic and their three most recent endeavors, two of which (Pokemon and Showdown Sports) are dwindling, and the other (Harry Potter) was never big enough to really decline in the first place. Their Vault section of extinct games, on the other hand, is probably the largest section of their site. 27 different games were listed, nearly all of which are dead CCGs.

>>>Still the fact is with Magic and Wizards other games you dont need the old cards.

Again, great news for someone who just spent a lot of money getting all those cards. Anyone who's played Magic for a while has a huge collection of older cards, I'm sure they're ecstatic that they're now just a waste of trees.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.