main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TOR The Old Republic - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by SoloCommand, Nov 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    This thread is a continuation of the Old Republic thread in Games.

Talk about whatever you want to do with the game in here, just don't start complaining how it's not a single player game, or how you won't buy it because it'll have monthly charges, because that's really, really annoying, (and no-one cares).

2. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    According to swtor.com PCGamer's holiday issue features TOR on it, I don't know when that's coming out, but Ima get it.

Oh, and 1st post!! Wooo

3. Obi-Wan_Ken-Obi

Obi-Wan_Ken-Obi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 28, 2005
    Sweet. And ditto on the no one cares about the complaining everyone seems to be so fond of... except the other complainers that is. I like the banner on the top too. Nice job.

4. DarthBobbalot

Mar 5, 2002
    Just got my issue of PC Gamer with the TOR exclusive feature... Just rifling through it I see the same pictures that they have on the main site :/ nothing real new art wise save for a couple new jedi and some monster looking thing in armor that aparently will be one of your companions to use in game. Ill post again if I see anything that is new information that hasn't been released yet.

5. DarthBobbalot

Mar 5, 2002
    Not much new information, but one thing that I'm excited for and wished before in previous games I've played, little aesthetic things like when fighting with weapons, when you block, usually a character goes into a defense pose and then you take the hit, but you're blocking so it negates damage, or whatever. I've always wanted a more limber and acrobatic feature where if you're, say, having a lightsaber fight, when you swing at someone, their character responds in kind by using different moves to parry, avoid, and survive the fight. It seems in the article that this will be true for saber fighting, you will have actual animations where the characters react to what you do, and it will be lively and the lightsabers will actually TOUCH rather than be a foot off and make it seem as if it hit an invisible wall. So im excited for that. It will be like actually watching a lightsaber fight in the movies or whatnot.

6. Obi-Wan_Ken-Obi

Obi-Wan_Ken-Obi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 28, 2005
    How will they possibly make that work if the characters decide to move around... Which I guarantee I will.

7. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I do have to say, the blaster concept art is really good.

[image=http://cdn-www.swtor.com/sites/all/files/ca/CA_20081114_Blaster1_full.jpg]

[image=http://cdn-www.swtor.com/sites/all/files/ca/CA_20081114_Blaster2_full.jpg]

I hope a blaster's effectiveness is ramped up in this game. I loved giving Carth, Atton, HK-47, and Mira the best upgraded blasters I possibly could and watch them take down Jedi/Sith.

8. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Game Informer has a blurb about it in their December magazine. I'll have to check it out when I get my copy.

9. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  10. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
  11. I_AM_GEEK

I_AM_GEEK Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 5, 2004
    Since there isn't much info out at the moment I was thinking about a few things that people who have played more MMos could probably answer, and a couple of things that might start a bit of discussion.

I have never played an mmo before, and if I'm lucky may be able to play for 8 hours a week maximum over 2-3 sessions is there any point trying to be part of a guild if you cant devote a lot of time to it. Obviously we don't know much about the game at the moment just that some quests will require you team with other players, but a lot can be done by yourself.

Is Dark Jedi's fighting for the Republic vs Light Side Sith fighting for a Sith Empire too Canon breaking. I thought I may have heard cries of OMG NOT CANON especially here, but there's not really been any complaints about that.

Is allowing Alignment(Dark side/Light side) and Faction(Sith/Jedi) to be separate just an easy way for Bioware to not have to balance what would be a mostly defence orientated class(Light Side Jedi) Vs a mostly attack based class(Dark side Sith). In KOTOR1/2 the Light Side powers were mostly buffs, with the Dark Side powers being attacks.

How should the Force sensitive characters be balanced vs the non Force sensitive characters. I've heard on other forums people saying they could be Diablo II style hardcore characters but overpowered and 1 death and you have to start again, but I doubt that will happen. Or do you just limit what Force sensitive characters can do ie electronics, demolitions, security, guns, repair etc., so Jedi/Sith have just Force powers and have to rely on other characters to help them. Doesn't Kriea say in KOTOR2 that most Jedi's rely on the force too much, and the fact that the Exile learned to live without it made her better than normal Jedi.

Should the classes for each side be the same with changed names like KOTOR, or should there be a greater difference between the two sides, and should Faction also allow for unique feats eg Dark side Sith get Dark side powers that Dark Side Jedi don't.

I know that the game isn't even out yet but what do you think Bioware will keep for the Expansion packs, as they must keep some stuff for the expansions.

12. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    I have never played an mmo before, and if I'm lucky may be able to play for 8 hours a week maximum over 2-3 sessions is there any point trying to be part of a guild if you cant devote a lot of time to it.

Different guilds have different styles. You'll likely be able to find one if you want. That said, you'll be able to play the game just fine without one.

Is Dark Jedi's fighting for the Republic vs Light Side Sith fighting for a Sith Empire too Canon breaking.

It's certainly off from existing canon, but this is the first time we'll really be seeing the day to day stuff in a Sith state. They can do new things, as it's largely new ground.

Is allowing Alignment(Dark side/Light side) and Faction(Sith/Jedi) to be separate just an easy way for Bioware to not have to balance what would be a mostly defence orientated class(Light Side Jedi) Vs a mostly attack based class(Dark side Sith).

Quite likely it's for balance, which makes sense. That said, they can easily have DS themed defense skills and LS offensive ones.

How should the Force sensitive characters be balanced vs the non Force sensitive characters. I've heard on other forums people saying they could be Diablo II style hardcore characters but overpowered and 1 death and you have to start again, but I doubt that will happen. Or do you just limit what Force sensitive characters can do ie electronics, demolitions, security, guns, repair etc., so Jedi/Sith have just Force powers and have to rely on other characters to help them. Doesn't Kriea say in KOTOR2 that most Jedi's rely on the force too much, and the fact that the Exile learned to live without it made her better than normal Jedi.

Non FS characters will likely be far more skill dependent. They'll likely have awesome abilities that'll be explained by specialization rather than force power. In universe example--Wedge Antilles can take on plenty of Jedi pilots. The Fetts can and have taken on Jedi in personal combat. No reason non-FS characters can't meet and match Jedi in terms of skill in various areas.

Should the classes for each side be the same with changed names like KOTOR, or should there be a greater difference between the two sides, and should Faction also allow for unique feats eg Dark side Sith get Dark side powers that Dark Side Jedi don't.

The KotOR classes and such were created around the SW RPG game, using its rules to fuel their engine, just as Bioware's NWN used the D&D ruleset. They'll likely remain similar up to a point to keep fans from the franchise happy, but things'll definitely be different.

I know that the game isn't even out yet but what do you think Bioware will keep for the Expansion packs, as they must keep some stuff for the expansions.

While they obviously have a general idea of what'll be in the game and what they'll have to shelve to come back to later, there is no way we can put together real conjecture. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get space flight/combat until an expansion.

13. I_AM_GEEK

Oct 5, 2004
    [face_dancing] shacknews is reporting the the first game footage will be released tomorrow.[face_dancing]

I guess its the footage from the launch, and they have managed to sort the frame rate issues.

Also Bioware have officially announced that they are using the Hero engine. Even though a quote from Bioware has been on the Hero Engine website for the last six months.

EDIT SWTOR.com has updated with the story

LucasArts and BioWare today announced that the first video documentary for Star Wars?: The Old Republic? will be posted on the game?s official website on Friday, December 12. The video gives an overview of the upcoming story-driven massively multiplayer online PC game set in the timeframe of the Star Wars?: Knights of the Old Republic? franchise and provides the public with its first look at in-game footage.

14. I_AM_GEEK

Oct 5, 2004
    First vidcast with in game footage.

The game footage is mostly combat, and it reminds me a lot of KOTOR. Combat seems to be pretty random from the clips you see, and there looks like a couple of familiar attacks and some very similar animations from KOTOR.

15. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    It's a shame that the lightsabers don't seem to flow together and clash properly and stuff, and it's a shame that otherwise, the combat seems a bit static (stand on the spot, attack attack attack stuff).

But still, I imagine this is really early beta stuff, and I look forward to the developments :)

16. CloneCaptainRex

CloneCaptainRex Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2008
    Graphics look like PS1.

17. I_AM_GEEK

Oct 5, 2004
    :oops:

[image=http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc70/Geektechboy/guildwarsprealpha.jpg]

This is a screen shot from Guild Wars at a similar pre alpha stage as SW:TOR is at just now.

[image=http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc70/Geektechboy/guildwars.jpg]

Screenshot from retail version of Guild Wars

[face_skull] THE GRAPHICS WILL GET BETTER [face_skull]

18. CloneCaptainRex

Aug 31, 2008
    Why do I get the feeling that the 2nd shot is from a pre-rendered cutscene....[face_thinking]
    :eek: OH! I know why! Because it is.[face_plain]

19. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    I just watched a podcast for this game. *squee* :D

20. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Actually, no. All the Guild Wars cutscenes are rendered in game, via the game's engine. The characters you see in that screen are player characters, not pre-rendered graphics that everyone downloads and views.

21. CloneCaptainRex

Aug 31, 2008
    ORLY?
    (Is too tired to look up the owl "ORLY" pic)

Good 2 no.

I still say they look like PS1.

22. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    They mentioned in the podcast that they don't want to do nextgen-type graphics because they are developing their own unique art style and that after awhile all nextgen games look very similar because they are all striving for realism.

23. CloneCaptainRex

Aug 31, 2008
    Oh dear Kenobi, no!
    They said they had a unique art style in mind for the CW, and look how that turned out!
    Ugh, bad graphics do not = unique style!

24. CloneCaptainRex

Aug 31, 2008
    Hmmm... Will we get BF3 before TOR?

Last month I'd have said yes, but now it looks like we won't be able to enjoy any new SW games for at least a year.

Fan Friday update: http://www.swtor.com/news/article/20090116_001

Hmm... McQuarrie-inspired art, perhaps?

The art direction may not be too bad, after all...

25. I_AM_GEEK

Oct 5, 2004
    The TOR site is releasing a web comic with Dark Horse called the Threat of Peace.

FEBRUARY 7, NEW YORK ? Dark Horse has joined forces with LucasArts and BioWare?, a division of Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS), to create a new comic series, published entirely online, to introduce both the gaming and comics worlds to the upcoming massively multiplayer online game Star Wars®: The Old Republic?. Debuting this month, Star Wars: The Old Republic - Threat of Peace will feature action-packed, character-driven episodes written by BioWare?s Rob Chestney and published by Dark Horse. The stories will span the three decades from the pivotal signing of the Treaty of Coruscant to critical events at the beginning of the game.

War between the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire has gripped the galaxy for generations, but the sacking of Coruscant and a subsequent peace treaty are changing everything. As the Republic scrambles to re-establish order, the Sith Empire moves quickly to consolidate power within its new dominion. Behind closed doors, however, individual Sith Lords engage in a quiet but deadly power struggle, and discord breaks out among the Jedi as they wrestle with the moral implications of the new galactic balance. During these chaotic days, the stories of several critical characters interweave as they pursue their passions, stand up for their convictions and ultimately lead the galaxy back to the brink of a catastrophic conflict.

?The Old Republic time frame is ripe for creating epic, galaxy-spanning storylines with provocative moral themes,? says Rob Chestney. ?Not only will readers get a preview of the game, they?ll also meet some of the game?s most compelling characters.?

?The comic offers a unique perspective on an era in the Star Wars galaxy unseen outside the game,? explains Dark Horse series editor Dave Marshall. ?It will be an integral companion to the online experience, and a compelling adventure on its own, accessible to every Star Wars fan.?

This new ongoing series begins in February, featuring story by Rob Chestney and art by Alex Sanchez. Sanchez is an artist who has done work on comics such as Marvel Age Hulk, X-Men, and various Dark Horse comics. New issues of Star Wars: The Old Republic - Threat of Peace will appear every other Friday exclusively on StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com.

It should help keep us entertained for a while until the game comes out:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.