main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So NM The ORFF Expanded Universe Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Jaina Byrd, Jul 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaina Byrd

Jaina Byrd Jedi Master star 4

Feb 21, 1999
    The New Jedi Order (NJO) is long and greuling, but it's worth it.

Oh, and I played Shadows of the Empire on N64. I wasn't crazy about it there, so I didn't bother reading the book. I know Mandy has read it though, and lists it among her favorites.

And I read the entire Thrawn series. I think you mean Hand of Thrawn duology. The reason I haven't read the second one of that is simple: I never bought it. :p I guess I wasn't impressed enough with the first one, although it wasn't because it was bad writing. I was just bored with Star Wars EU at the point. [face_laugh] In case I haven't told all of you, I took a four year break from Star Wars EU, and that came out around that time. :)

2. SWJaggy

SWJaggy Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2003
    I try to read EU whenever time allows. I'm busy /c school required reading or I'm reading other books. I still need to read the 3rd book from the Hand of Thrawn trilogy.

3. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    Yeah, those four years I didn't read? I call them "high school". ;)

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    ::passes through a random forum, attracted to the EU thread like a moth to a flame:: ;)

Just to clarify a few things:

There's the (now-called) "Thrawn Trilogy" composed of "Heir to the Empire", "Dark Force Rising" & "The Last Command", set 5 years after Endor.

The "Hand of Thrawn" is a duology- "Specter of the Past" & "Vision of the Future", set 15 years after Endor.

And, in the Black Fleet Crisis (in it's "A Plot", versus the Lando "B Plot" and crappy Luke "C Plot), Han and Leia dealt with the political and military actions of the xenophobic Yevethans, who had in their possession of the the title fleet.

>>I played Shadows of the Empire on N64. I wasn't crazy about it there, so I didn't bother reading the book.<<

You'll find the book to be a slightly different experience, since, while some of the core events are in all the mediums, SOTE's main story was told in the novel, while the game told other part's of the story from Dash Rendar's POV in the game, and Boba Fett's side in the comic.

::pops back on over to his forums:: ;)

5. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    Thanks for the reminder, Quest. ;) Feel free to stop in at any time. That was another thing I now remember disliking, the Yevethans. :p

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I rather liked the political thriller aspect of the Yevethan plot and other people seem to feel it's the best book in terms of military battles, I also liked the "Rendezvous with Rama"-eque Lando plotline (even if it has nothing to do with the rest of the plot ;) ). But not everyone will like the same thing- I just hate to see people bash the whole series just because the Luke story sucked (but that's probably because that's all people ever serm to remember :p ). ;)

7. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    Well, it was pretty bad, the Luke plot. We were set up for some kind of huge discovery about his mother, and then nothing actually happened with it... what a let-down! It was kind of cool to see the Yevethans come back in the latter part of the NJO. That was the first time it seemed like the Black Fleet Crisis was acknowledged. You said that it was probably the best militarily-written book, and that's got to be another thing I'm not entirely interested in- or at least, I wasn't when I read it when I was 10. All this discussion about it makes me want to read it again... gah! Most of the EU, I need to read again.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    BFC was referenced a few times in the NJO- but mainly through military characters who reappeared, Alpha Blue, etc.

BFC is also noteworthy as it gives us a brief insight into the fate of little Cindel from the Ewok movies too (she became a reporter) ::)

9. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    That's definitely an aspect of the EU that's oft-times forgotten--- the Ewok Adventures. They're so cute!

So, who is everyone's favorite EU character?

10. NM_Mandalorian

NM_Mandalorian Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2005
    I like Karde the most. He is like Han but with more of that criminal feel to him. It is like seeing Han a few years before ANH.

11. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    I'd have to say my favorite is Gavin Darklighter. He's talented and really grew up as a pilot and a person right before our eyes.

12. SWJaggy

SWJaggy Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2003
    I'm not sure who my favorite character is. Still haven't read enough EU books to get familiar /c them.

Got Dark Nest I: The Joiner King this weekend and I'm dying to read it. Unfortunately it might be a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.