main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The ORIGINAL NEW new Starbucks!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Grand Admiral Thran, Mar 5, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JD Jedi

JD Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2000
    Yeah, fair point Red-Seven.

To be honest I wasn't all that up in arms about it. I'm just a stickler for detail.

Pardon my ramblings, it's a VEEERRRYYYY slow day here at the moment.

JDJ

2. Hunter Of Winds

Hunter Of Winds Jedi Youngling star 5

Dec 5, 1999
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>"The Force is strong in my family....my father has it....I have it...and, my sister has it."

Does this mean that Luke's mother doesn't have it? Did his parents get married? I guess I'll have to wait for Episode II to find out. eek.gif

Hunter

3. JD Jedi

Feb 21, 2000
    No, she doesn't have it. She doesn't need it. Mothers have a power that goes beyond any belief in the hokey 'Force' religion.

If (remember I don't know the EU much yet) Leia ever has kids she'll lose her Force power for something all the more greater.

Didn't Darth Vader say something like:
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> The abilities of the Force are insignificant next to the power of a pissed-off Mother!!!

JDJ

4. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    *Skirting around the canon issue* It'll be very interesting to see how GL pulls-off a six-movie story line filmed over almost 30 years...backwards. I'm not saying it can't be done, so far the movies are complimenting each other very well, but I agree with JD that he must proceed with care. But hey! He's gotten us this far! Someone in one of these threads was requesting a while back to be put into a coma until Ep.II - LOL! I'm beginning to agree.... Hmmm, a Jedi hibernation trance might work. I'll set up the phrase "Balance Point" for someone to wake me up in November!

JD: I think Hayden Christensen is pretty much an unknown, except for a couple of TV shows. (Which is what GL wanted all along.) There is a "Higher Ground" marathon on the Fox family channel today, if you get that station. He's 19, tall, dark blond, nice-looking and the only teenager on the episode that I saw yesterday with actual depth and subtlety to his acting.
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>If (remember I don't know the EU much yet) Leia ever has kids she'll lose her Force power for something all the more greater. There ya go!! We've all been wondering for YEARS why the woman doesn't get her act together and finish her training!! (Although I still contend that she did call herself a Jedi in SotP, and why would she lie?) Anyway, it's those children. That's about as good a reason as I've heard yet! LOL!! (Before I get flamed by my fellow EU fans, that was supposed to be funny.)

Ah, but mothers do have the Force! How else do you think they can pick out the sound of their child calling across a crowded store? Or instinctively dart across the playground to comfort the cry that no one else even heard?

[This message has been edited by Jedi Trace (edited 05-08-2000).]

5. Jedi Callie

Jedi Callie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 14, 1999
    Trace: so Haydn meets with your approval, eh?

I haven't been able to catch "Higher Ground" yet, but I mean to. I want to see for myself who this future Darth Vader is and if he's up to snuf *bwahahahaha*. I admit it, I'm still very disappointed that Jonathan Jackson missed out *sob*, BUT, if this guy is good, then it will make me forget about that disappointment for sure.

And well, hthere is one thing that makes me like him already--he's Canadian, and I have a thing for all things Canadian *teehee*.

JD Jedi and Red 7: In my simple-minded philosophy, anything that comes from the mind of The Great One, I will accept--even if it conflicts with things he's done in the past (Qui-Gon), even if I don't like them (Jar Jar, midichlorians), even if I myself wouldn't go in that direction. I accept them because he created that universe in the first place and I've grown up loving it the way he envisioned it.

As far as the EU is concerned (and by this I mean anything that did not come directly out of George's brain, even if he did allow/approve/sanction it), when I say that it's not canon, I'm not saying it's bad or that it shouldn't exist or shouldn't be accepted. All I mean by "it's not canon" is that I personally give myself permission not to feel guilty for rejecting any part of it which I do not think "rings true" to me and how I myself view the Star Wars universe and its inhabitants. In the end, it will always be what happened in the movies that I accept as the "true" history of the SW universe, and everything else is a giant "what-if" just like fanfic. And just like in fanfic, there are things in the pro books that I like and accept, and things where I would eat bantha poodoo first rather than accept or like.

What's bothered me in the last year that I've been exposed to other SW fans on the internet is this prevailing attitude that I'm somehow "less of a fan" because I don't accept everything in EU, or *gasp* heaven forbid--I actually don't even like most of the things in EU (what worse is that the things I don't like are the things that most people hold sacred, apparently). It's not an attitude that I've found among you guys here on this thread, but it is definitely evident on the forums in general.

I do not consider myself any less avid of a fan in the least. I've lived, breathed, and loved SW practically all my life--certainly as far back as I can remember, and just because I choose to hold the movies up on a pedestal, just because I'd rather keep the movie and book stuff separate (and bristle when they are intermingled in any way, shape, or form), I don't think that means I don't love it "as much" as the next person who embraces the whole kit 'n caboodle (which by the way, I think is perfectly valid, because in the end it is the individual who should be able to determine what he/she wants to like and not like!).

Off my soapbox now...

6. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Greetings, All!!!

Please forgive me while I catch up on three pages of material. (I've been away training with Rogue Squadron for a bit. And I must say, flying an X-wing is tough, flying a Y-wing is like driving a '72 Impala, and flying a Snow Speeder is like...well.. It's like flying a wet brick. (But I do highly recommend Rogue Squadron and X-Wing v. Tie-Fighter. And Ep. I Racer is a blast.))

JD: So, we're just about the same age!!! I guessed correctly. BTW, I know how you feel about plot and storyline holes in SW. They drive me crazy, too. It's a classic case of "too many cooks in the kitchen". As for speculating about the future episodes, I agree with you there, too. I have faith in GL's ability to continue to weave us a fantastic tale. SW is his baby, and I don't think he's going to drop it on it's head!!! (I was dropped on my head as a infant....for a whole day!!!)

T: As for childhood memories- I can vividly remember events that happened when I was as young as two!!!! It doesn't take force sensitivity, just a good memory. Trust me, I know!!! (Now, where did I leave that mouse???)

And as for my beloved wife's comments about future generations and Star Wars- I think you're all correct. I don't think they'll get it. JD and Tom Petty are quite right about one thing- the waiting is the hardest part. Oh, dear, young Barbara Fett, waiting has been a way of life for us seasoned SW fans. You think three years is bad, try 16 years!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAARRRGHHHH!!!!!
    Now, on to other topics.

If, say, in ten or fifteen years, someone decides to make the Zahn trilogy into a movie: who would have trouble accepting new actors playing our beloved Luke, Leia, and Han???
    I've given this some thought lately. It didn't bother me when they changed Batmans (well, except for Clooney- but that's just me), but it is hard for me to imagine anyone playing the leads in SW except for the original cast. But, unless there are major advancements in plastic surgery, it probably won't be possible.
    Then, there's the possiblitly of ruining Zahn's wonderful novels.
    So, concerning the issue, I have mixed emotions. How about everyone else.

(Qui-Gon Tim, having not heeded Jedi Trace's warning about not discussing EU too much in Starbucks, heads off to fight the most dangerous and evil foe in the known universe-........................
    ..bills

7. JD Jedi

Feb 21, 2000
    G'day all,

Mmmmmmm?????.Coffeeeeeeeeeeee????.

Jedi Trace, we get some Fox channels but I don't recall any marathon for a show named that, but I'll definetely keep any eye out now for Hayden. Thanks.

I don't know about anyone else but I don't see these sort of things as spoilers, I just don't want to know any storyline 'till I see it on the big screen.

Jedi Callie,
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>In my simple-minded philosophy, anything that comes from the mind of The Great One, I will accept-even if it conflicts with things he's done in the past, even if I don't like them. I accept them because he created that universe in the first place and I've grown up loving it the way he envisioned it.
    Definetely. This is what I was sort of trying to say but on reading back I realise I got nowhere near it. Same with this next bit:
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>All I mean by "it's not canon" is that I personally give myself permission not to feel guilty for rejecting any part of it which I do not think "rings true" to me and how I myself view the Star Wars universe and its inhabitants.

I too regard myself as a true fan even though I am yet to be glued to the EU. (I'll see how I go with it and let you all know) To me the OT is this special, untouchable, 'thing' (Sorry - I just can't think of the right words right now) to be cherished and passed on. It fires both the imagination and the soul, the craving for adventure, justice and freedom. Sometimes I feel that even the 'official' books may add just a little TOO much detail.

Mixing movies and books can never please everybody. Take 'The Man from Snowy River' as an example. Fantastic poem and a good movie. But put them together to represent the same thing? NOOOO WAAAAYYY!!!!! I'm also a Tom Clancy fan but the same could be said for 'Hunt for Red October' book and movie. As long as they are interpreted separately they are both good. But just don't ever put them together.

I think that is where I may be headed with any EU-type stuff (even though I've barely started). Same characters and galaxy used but I won't let it interfere with how I think or feel about the OT or TPM.

When I can get my brain into gear I'll answer it myself but I'll ask anyone who wants to answer:

What do you think it is about the OT (and TPM) that seems to make it so special for you?

'Coz we all know it just isn't the same as every other movie series.

JDJ

8. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    T: Sarah Brightman was the soprano I "cut my teeth on". But, since then, I've moved on (and judging from Ms. Brightman's vocals lately, she should, too! IMHO!) If you want to hear real sopranos, try: Montserrat Caballe (her performance as Mimi in La Boheme is unmatched!!!)
    Kathleen Battle (a clear, almost perfect voice.)
    And my all-time favorite:
    Leontyne Price (she owns the title role in Verdi's Aida!!!! My favorite recording is her Mozart album- it has plenty of thrills and trills- ha, ha!!!)
    Listen to these fine ladies, and Sarah Brightman will become a distant memory!!!!
    (Although, I love her rendition of Anything But Lonely.)

[This message has been edited by Qui-Gon Tim (edited 05-08-2000).]

9. Jedi Callie

Jun 14, 1999
    Qui-Gon Tim: first of all, if they made movies out of those books, I think I'd keel over and die , but more importantly, no I would never be able to accept anyone else in those roles--or any other movie role, for that matter. As it is, I'm already greatly disillusioned to learn that another actor portrayed Wedge in the "Two stub fighters against a star destroyer?" scene LOL--I don't think I can take any more actor switches. I'm just too much of a purist LOL.

I just can't imagine Luke, Leia, and Han being played by anyone else. And you know, in retrospect, I think that is why I have had such a hard time accepting EU, because the actors themselves played such a large part in getting me to invest emotionally in their characters' stories. I never really thought about it until now, but it makes sense to me now: reading about them instead of watching them (and watching these actors put their essense into those roles), I found it hard to connect to the characters the way I connected to them on screen. They ended up becoming these different characters who went by the same name and had the same appearance, but I could never think of them in the same continuum as the Luke, Leia, Han, Lando, Chewie, et al of the movies... They simply became Luke, Leia, Han, Lando, Chewie, et al of the books. And I mean no disrespect or insult to the pro authors; I'm just saying I looked at them as different characters altogether.

I remember Mark Hamill saying once in an interview that he couldn't bring himself to read the books because he felt some sort of strange possessiveness over the role of Luke, and he couldn't accept that it was out of his hands now and he could no longer bring something to the character like he did before. I know exactly what he means, and I think that's why the Luke of EU has never really grabbed me like the Luke of the movies. Sure, at times "book" Luke resembled "movie" Luke and reminded me that they're supposed to be the same person, but in the end, I still can't quite reconcile the two...

10. Jedi Callie

Jun 14, 1999
    Btw, sorry that I sort of got us on this topic of canon vs. not canon, but I think Taramidala's original point was just that we still don't know what George is planning with this movie, and so those who keep insisting that Leia has to be this and this age because she said she has a memory of her mother aren't opening the door for other possibilities...

Anyhow, I agree with her--who knows what will end up happening! Sure, we think we know the story, but I bet we'll get surprised by some things

11. Barbara Fett

Barbara Fett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 23, 1999
    Hayley Christensen is 19?!?!? <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Sithspawn! I thought Anakin was supposed to be about 12 in Ep. II! (Though now that I think of it, I'd be okay with 13 or 14...)

12. JD Jedi

Feb 21, 2000
    B.Fett, in regard to Hayden C.'s age, don't moviemakers usually employ actors who are older than they look so that they can act a bit more mature than they're supposed age would normally allow them? How old does he look?

QGT, yeah I hit 30 last August but everyone seemed to make more of a fuss about it than I did. To answer your question, there is NO WAY I could watch anyone else as the OT characters. It's all about them BEING the characters with their OWN personalities showing through as well (or is that just good acting? )

JDJ

13. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    T: Well, I think Sarah B. has improved immensely over the past 10 years! QGT can be a bit of a snob when it comes to vocalists. He won't even go to the opera with me because I make fun of them - LOL!

[This message has been edited by Jedi Trace (edited 05-09-2000).]

14. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Barbara Fett: Yup, Hayden is 19. Ep.II is a love story, so he had to be "old enough" - y'know! I read somewhere that GL was looking for someone around 20 yrs old and dismissed Hayden initially because he was too young, but changed his mind after seeing him screen test with Natalie. However, we are still waiting for official word - so don't quote me!

15. Wormie2

Wormie2 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    Hi all. I'm sick so I'm making this as short as my fever-racked, medicated brain will allow. If I begin to ramble, just smack your computer monitor. It's remotely possible it will help.

No Callie. You and your fellow Callista fans didn't scare me off. You all do such a great job of defending her that there's nothing left I can say. Also, and this is going to sound rather haggish (let apologize for that ahead of time), but people have started to ask me to help with the fanfic you're currently doing. I'm deeply honored, but I don't feel comfortable with it. I can't copywrite anything I do here, so it's fair game for anyone who comes across it. I simply work too hard at my writings to let people just pick through and use whatever they want. I hope you understand.

JDJ, don't worry, I've decided to throw away nothing. Well, that's not entirely true. I sold my young jedi series. No biggie there. Those kids have always gotten on my nerves, so I know I won't be missing them. I've picked through my magazines as well. But my books, they stay with me. Which brings me to my point: Splinters. I loved that book. Maybe it was because I found it in a comic book store after Jedi was released during the long, dark, desert days of the Star Wars drought. It was new Star Wars material and that was good enough for me. It wasn't great, but I loved it. I haven't read it in years. That copy is tucked away with the rest of my collection. After I move, I might dig it out, and give it a reread. I'll tell you what I think of it then.

Oh, JDJ, you asked if there were any Star Wars and Star Trek fans. I've found that you're one or the other. You can like the other, but your loyalty lays with only one. Which reminds me, during the Denver Celebration, two guys showed up on Saturday dressed as Klingons. Geeks! It was too funny. People just walked passed them and starred. I kept waiting for someone to throw a mud ball at them. Never happened though. They were treated kindly, but looked at like you look at a snot bubble hanging off someone's nose. It was really funny.

Ok, two issues that need addressing. Let's start with the Canon question.

Here's how I see it. Whatever you thing should be canon, is canon. Until George says otherwise, anything goes (T, don't you dare break into song.) So, first is the movies, then whatever George had direct control over, followed by what he had indirect control over. At anytime if he directly controls something that contradicts something he didn't directly control, then disregard the later. Make sense?

Next!

Leia's age;

Hmmmmm.........this one's always fun. People think that a baby has no memories. Psychologists say that the first memory a person has begins around the age of four. Anything earlies, they conclude, is just your imagination filling a gap. BULL!!! And I can prove it. Sorry, we have to go through a quick history lesson in the life of Wormie for this to make sense. I'm adopted. I was adopted at the age of one month. I was with my biological mother for about four days, then I though for years that I never saw her again. Yet, oddly enough, I had this memory of a woman with long, black hair bending over me in the back seat of a car. I could just make out her face, see the tears streaming down her cheeks, the small smile that graced her lips as she leaned towards me. In my mind, I knew this was my mother. Ok, flash forward 18 years. I find my biological parents. My mother comes walking through the door and I turn to my mom (my adopted mom) and say "That's her! That's the woman from my dream!" Over the next couple of years, what happened before my birth is slowly revealed. It appears that because I was born in one state and adopted in another state, and that the adoption wasn't finalized, my bio-mom still had parental rights. She was the only one who could transport me across state lines. So, when I was a month old, she picked me up from my foster mother's home, and took me across town to the adoption agency in the other state. (The city I live in spans the state line.) Long story short, that was the last t

16. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Originally posted by Wormie2: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>(T, don't you dare break into song.) HA HA HA! Too bad! tongue.gif It's one of my favorite shows of all time!

In olden days a glimpse of stocking
    Was looked on as something shocking
    But now God knows
    Anything Goes!

Okay, I'll stop there because I can't remember what part comes next, LOL!
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Conclusion; Leia could have been any age. The mind has a way of holding knowledge it knows is important no matter what age it is.Thank you! Someone agrees with me -- FINALLY!

I hope you feel better soon!

17. Barbara Fett

Barbara Fett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 23, 1999
    Okay. (takes deep breath) The answers have been revealed. To find out about Hayden's role as Anakin, read http://entertainment.msn.com/news/eonline/0509/hchristensen.aspthis article. My reaction: Geez! He looks like a member of Nsync! I sincerely hope he looks more Jedi-like for filming. redface.gif

18. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Barbara Fett: I know how you feel. He looks like he could be one of the Backstreet Boys (blech***), but, hey, I'm willing to give the kid a chance if GL is.
    But, hey, there are many actors out there who could be the worst possible choice to play Anakin. Think about it.
    Just imagine-
    Keanu Reeves- "Dude, I'm, like, Anakin."
    Pauley Shore- "Ditto"
    Eric Roberts- "I'm Anakin and I'm gonna
    bash your #@%$&^% head in."
    Jean-Claude Van Damme- (Let's not go there)
    Gary Coleman- "Whatchu talkin 'bout Obi-
    Wan?"
    Harvey Firestein: "I'm Anakin. And isn't
    Obi-Wan just delicious?"
    Arnold Schwartzenegger:"I just fell into a
    lava pit- but I'LL
    BE BACK"

Mister Rogers: "It's a lightsaber. Can you
    say LIGHTSABER???)
    P.S. My apologies to Fred Rogers- he's great!!!!!
    And finally, Al Pacino- "It's the force-
    OOOOOOAHHHHH!!!"

19. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Barbara Fett: that's EXACTLY what I thought!! Of course, I generalized and said "Boy Band" but in my head I was saying "the young NSYNC kid!" He looks just like him! Oh, dear lord, NO!

BTW, Q-G T: I'm not even going to respond. No one bashes Sarah in front of ME! tongue.gif

"T"

20. JD Jedi

Feb 21, 2000
    WOO HOO!!!

Thank you thank you thank you B.Fett, I hope this is comfirmed.

I don't care WHO plays Anakin as long as it is NOT Leonardo DeCaprio.

I've now been told to shut up since I've been walking around work singing 'Anything Goes' - even though I know no more of it than T.

Hope you get well soon Wormie2.

Cheers to all

JDJ

21. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Wormie: Sorry you're sick! Klingons at a SW convention...I would LOVE to have seen that - LOL! Beautiful story about your birthmom! I'm glad you were able to find each other again.

B.Fett & T: About Hayden's looks - I wouldn't be too concerned. Case in point = Ewan McGregor: Trainspotting.....Star Wars.....Trainspotting....Star Wars.....Velvet Goldmine....Star Wars... You get my drift!!

Anyway, after the episode of "Higher Ground" that I saw Sunday, I'm pretty excited about him!

22. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Originally posted by JD Jedi: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I don't care WHO plays Anakin as long as it is NOT Leonardo DeCaprio.Geez, what is it with performers I like getting dissed?!?! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I've been walking around work singing 'Anything Goes' - even though I know no more of it than T.Actually, JDJ, I know the whole thing. I was in a production of it 2 summers ago (*sigh* memories, wonderful memories ) but I just haven't sung it in a while.

"T"

23. Hunter Of Winds

Hunter Of Winds Jedi Youngling star 5

Dec 5, 1999
    Wormie2: Thanks for sharing your memories with us. Get well soon!

Hunter

24. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    JD: I know how you feel- I'm pretty cool with anyone except DeCaprio. I did like him in What's Eating Gilbert Grape, but I just can't picture him as Anakin. So, add him to my list above:
    Leonardo DeCaprio: "Hey, I'm Anakin.
    Don't you think I'm
    cute?? I sure do!!!"

T: Sarah Brightman?? Bash*Bash*Bash*Bash*Bash
    Okay, so here's how it goes. I loved her in Phantom. She was great in Requiem. She was born with a very natural, beautiful high saprano range. I saw her about five years ago in The Music of ALW tour and she sounded better than ever!!!(Yes, I am admitting this to you.) But, whomever has gotten a hold of her since then, (and by that I mean whomever is instructing her), has ruined her voice. She should go back to her roots. If pride will let her return to.. her teacher, her teacher...
    By the way have you checked out the Really Useful Group site. It has video from ALW's productions- as well as links for audition dates, as well- (and believe me- I am as tempted as you are!!!).

Back to SW-
    In ROTJ- when Lando and the gang are flying inside the Second Death Star- does it bother anyone else that the X-wing pilot seems to have trouble with his three-word line: Copy, ....Gold Leader.
    ?????????????????????????????????

25. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Posts are missing! Grr! mad.gif

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.