main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The ring

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by ElImInAtEr, Jan 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElImInAtEr

ElImInAtEr Jedi Youngling

Dec 10, 2002
    Anybody knows were to get a model of "the ring" from LOTR????

2. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2000
    Ow Come on...
    You can't even do that? Im ean, even if you're a beginner, if you asked yourself for 20 seconds how you could do it, I'm sure you would find.
    I can understand guys asking for car models but a ring...
    O, here how you can do: creat a torus, scale it up on the Z axis, apply a gold looking material (every package has this kind of preset) and it's done, you've got a ring

3. ElImInAtEr

ElImInAtEr Jedi Youngling

Dec 10, 2002
    Ohh, thank you for telling my how to made the ring, I had no idea that it was so simple. And that think with a torus, what a GREAT idea.........

Of course I can made the ring that way but to get the right form, texture and the text on it is a little harder and it is alot easier to get on which is already finished.

4. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    even that isnt so hard...

why not just draw a cross section of the ring and then use a lathe tool or something.. then u get the exact shape :p getting lettering is pretty easy just go download the mordor font or something :p and then put it on as a texture ..

5. William_G_Matthew

William_G_Matthew Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2004
    I've also found that you can use the tube mesh, set height segments to 0, smoothen a few times, BAM, looks great.

A friend once game me a link to Dafont. I haven't needed many other font places since.

You can get some good middle earth-ish fonts by searching "tengwar". You should coma across a pack that will give you elvish writing in like ten forms [including one called 'gandalf'], dwarvish, orc, the 'ringbearer' font [title font], and a mordor font.

The mordor font is what's on the ring. These have been around since before the movie was even realized online.

\__Will__/

Edit: I forgot to add that, because these are pre-movie, there aren't many movie-esque fonts aside from aelfa. I don't think there's a 100% true tolkien movie font anywhere on the internet, but there are middle earth linguistic books and stuff you can buy from book stores. Then you can use a calligraphy pen, write the inscription (which is Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul), scan it in your computer, clean it up, and use it as the mask for a blend material between a gold and a glowing reddish gold.

Have fun.

6. d_eisenga

d_eisenga Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 25, 2001
    but how does one make it look like the text is engraved in the ring? not with a texture i suppose eh?

7. degobah1

degobah1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 14, 2002
    make your own here.

(for Lightwave but these techniques can be applied in other modelers)

EDIT: and to answer the question above about engraving, bump maps.

8. d_eisenga

d_eisenga Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 25, 2001
    that wont work for close-ups

EDIT: never mind, it does.

9. William_G_Matthew

William_G_Matthew Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2004
    But the lettering isn't engraved on the ring in the movie, only on the ones sold in stores.

\__Will__/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.