main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Saga of Recluce and other series: the L.E. Modesitt, Jr Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue...Jedi, Jan 26, 2009.

1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I am. I'm not going to have time to read them, but I seem to think I will 8-}

2. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yeah, I got about 40 pages read :p Though after yesterday, I think I only have 100 or so left. I love the evolution of Creslin and Maegara's relationship -- but then, I'm a hopeless romantic :p

3. ImpKnight

ImpKnight Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Finished The Magic Engineer. Good book. Some questions answered. I thought it could have ended a bit earlier but other than that I liked it.

Taking a Recluce break for one book then I should be back to it.

4. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    About halfway through Magic Engineer now. Still one of my favorite Recluce books, although a few others (Fall of Angels, the Cerryl and Lorn books) also come to mind.

5. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I just finished The Towers of the Sunset. I still really like it, especially the beginning and the end.

Question: Creslin might get his sight back with the help of ordered music, but I read in another book -- and I can't remember which one -- that he was blind for most of his life. Does anyone know what happened with that?

Also, RJ, does Creslin ever show up again in person?

I'm excited for The Fall of Angels because it deals with the events of Towers (and also will -- hopefully -- explain more about the towers themselves. How cool is the title "Towers of the Sunset," though?).

6. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Yes, there is a reference to him being blind most of his life - I've always interpreted that as meaning he spent many years blind, with perhaps occasional glimpses like the one he gets at the end of the book (particularly after his music) and perhaps a few years before he died finally regaining his sight, though that is just my interpretation, not anything that's explicitly spelled out.

As for Creslin showing up again, no. The closest book chronologically to Towers of Sunset is The White Order (#8), and that's nearly 300 years later (Magic Engineer and Colors of Chaos are also in that time period). In the other direction, Fall of Angels, Chaos Balance, and Arms-Commander are all close to 500 years earlier.

Fall of Angels does give a good picture of the beginning of one Tower, at least. The title isn't entirely literal, however, and in one of the more figurative senses, Arms-Commander also adds to the story and the idea behind the title. On another hand, the imagery of the sunset stands in interesting contrast to what is first and foremost a story of a nation's founding.

And the longer I type here the more potential meanings I think of and consider :p

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That's how I interpreted it, too. Shame about Creslin not showing up again. He's fun.

Very interesting. I'm really excited to get to the others!

8. ImpKnight

ImpKnight Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2008
    What are/where are the towers? After reading the book I still didn't know.:)

9. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    The most clear to me is Tower Black, the central part of Westwind - and the book is certainly a sunset on Westwind (we'll see lots more of Tower Black in Fall of Angels). Its also possible/likely that there are other towers of Westwind now, given the time that's passed, though Tower Black was the original.

You could also interpret it as the beginning of the sunset of Fairhaven - since Fairhaven never truly recovers from the losses Creslin dealt them, and Jenred would forever be known as Jenred the Traitor. Sure, Fairhaven has some strong moments after that, but to them Recluce has become a thorn in the side that never goes away.

Honestly, this is probably the least clear of any of the titles in the Saga of Recluce :p

10. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Well I tried to keep the interest going in Magic but I failed. :( So Ive started Altered Carbon and Shadows of the Apt 3. I do have plans on finishing it atleast but it will be after I finish Apt 4. I think if Skyrim hadnt of derailed my schedule Id ev finished it but it was not to be at this time(and Im still playing for hours at a time). I dont think it will be much longer till I get back to it though.

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I interpreted Westwind as the Towers of the Sunset. I think the angels built the towers, and Ryba etc. built Westwind. Westwind falling was one of my least favorite parts of the book. I liked it.

:( I hope you find interest again soon!

I've started The Magic Engineer. (I have exams in a couple weeks, but I'm hoping to catch up to you two soon :p I'm not very far in, and Creslin's already been mentioned at least a dozen times, which makes me kinda sad :(

12. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I dont think it ll be long Nat. I mostly blame Skyrim, it is just to awesome and I obv cant read and play at the same time lol. After I read Apt 4 I ll pick it back up Im sure.

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Yeah, I've heard it can be addictive :p

14. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    By the way, keep in mind Ryba's "History" of Westwind for when you get to Fall of Angels. It doesn't exactly match up perfectly, but there are good (and fairly obvious) reasons for that. Also keep in mind what is said about it early in Magic Engineer, because that too is notably different in certain aspects, for the same reasons.

15. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Will do!

Yeah, I figure Ryba's story in Towers isn't exactly the way it went down. It happens to suit the women who follow the Legend for it to be that way.

16. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Isnt the book art for these done by Darrel K Sweet the same guy that does WoT? He passed away today so what that means for the last WoT cover is up in the air now.

17. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Most of them, yes (I think all except the most recent one). Definitely very sad to hear of his passing :(

18. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    They are talking about it on the Malazan forums...appearently Micheal Whelan got the gig for AMOL. That ought to be a good cover, but its gonna be weird for collecting purpospes to have all but the last book in a different style.

19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Aww, that's sad news :( Not surprising about Whelan, though; I think he did Sanderson's new series.

Who's going to do the next Modesitt book? (Or is there not one close enough to publication to know?)

20. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Matt Stawicki did the cover of the last Recluce book (Arms-Commander). That'd be my guess, but its only a guess.

21. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Was there a huge difference in the new style with that one over Sweets covers?

22. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Not a huge difference, no.

23. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Oh really? Hmm Ive been wondering if Whelan is going to try to stick as close as he can to Sweets style if he can do it or if he ll give us an actual badass Whelan cover for AMOL?

24. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Just finished The Magic Engineer! (Well, I basically finished it last week; for some reason, I got distracted by other stuff and didn't get around to finishing it until today.)

I loved it :D Towers was my favorite, but this might slightly top it :)

Apparently, my home library doesn't have the other books, so I might have to wait a while for the next one :( How are the rest of you coming along?

25. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Magic Engineer's long been one of my favorites.

I'm almost finished with The Order War, and I'll probably finish it before going home for break, then wait to start Death of Chaos until I come back.