main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The Skywalker-Jade Revival Society Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luke_Mara_Index, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    About the Round Robin:

IMHO, I think we should steer clear of a pre-planned outline (i.e. collaboration.) I love collaborating, but it?s really, really hard to do with more than 2 or 3 authors.

The beauty of a Round Robin is that each author gets to be creative and bring their own unique talent and ideas to the story by picking up where someone else left off.

My suggestions would be to:

1) Determine a starting and stopping point for the story. For example: START ? Luke and Mara go on an undercover mission. END ? At the conclusion of which they are made honorary Emperor and Empress of a remote grep-farming colony. (Just an example ? not a real plot bunny, LOL.)

The middle is left completely open for interpretation: action/adventure/romance/humor/angst/suspense?whatever the author of that segment conjures.

2) Chapters are not pre-assigned but authors volunteer on a first-come, first-serve basis to write the next part and have, say, one week to do so. This leaves the fic open to new and experienced authors alike, and can be a jumping-off point for someone who would like to try their hand at writing the pairing.

3) Agree on a few simple ground rules, such as: Luke/Mara cannot get killed or divorced. Anything else is wide open - keeping it plausible and open-ended as a courtesy to your fellow authors, of course.

4) The person ?in charge? would only need to make sure that chapters are getting posted in a timely manner and/or see to them getting re-claimed if DRL becomes a problem for anyone.

Just my 2 credits. [face_peace]

EDIT: I found it!! Here's that old MJS Fan Club Round Robin. It might give some ideas about what works and what doesn't: Complicated Journey

Good questions! :D I?m very open-minded and will read pretty much anything. Shipper that I am, I generally look forward to anything with ?romance? somewhere in the tagline. I?ll almost always click on a fic where Luke and Mara are parents, because that timeframe has not been written as much. And I guess the only stories I ?won?t bother? to read are fics that are 99.999% evil-cliffie-ridden angst/torture/pain/misery/gloom/doom/despair and/or L/M don?t end up together...just cuz that's not my cuppa. ;)

2. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Valuable advice, as always, Trace! The L/M ruling over a grep-farming colony isn't a real plot bunny? Aww, Trace, you've gone and dashed all my hopes and dreams. :oops: I was rather excited about that. Couldn't you just see Threepio tagging along with them? [face_laugh]

I haven't had the opportunity to either collaborate or participate in a RR, however, I think everyone can agree that there needs to be a beginning and an end. The goal with each author is to equally work towards the end. I completely agree with Trace that the middle of the story should have the flexibility to take on different styles of storytelling. By doing that, it would open many doors to show off the amount of creativity so many of the great authors who love L/M have. Having a mix of action, drama, romance, and comedy (etc.) would be a great touch and keep the story flowing and interesting.

If there were to be more than two to three writers, I know personally as a reader, I'd enjoy more of a Round Robin collection and story. A few of the collaborations I've read have had way too many cooks in the kitchen which only weighed down the plot and made the course of the story confusing between OCs, intersecting/separating plot points... yadda yadda yadda ;)

Only my humble opinion. [face_batting]

3. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Good ideas, Trace! :)

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    To Verybusy: I also stay away from the same things Trace doess. Though sometimes I'll read a fic because I've read something by the author before and like the way they tell a story or portray a character--like Kidan with Tahiri :D I also love epics that are totally AU: like Of Dying Stars and Splintering Dreams-- and epics which retell the Legacy or NJO--either by caking those elements out or changing some of the major points, i.e., Anakin survives, etc. :) An example of these kinds of totally different stories are the excellent collaboration Edge of the Abyss and Heritage. :D Edge of the Abyss has more than 3 authors but the action and plot flow really well, and the OCs don't bog it down--just make it more fun. On the amnesia thing, Luke getting amnesia sounds cool, just don't let him revert to Callista days. Argh!! [face_laugh]

5. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Oh, I agree (for what it's worth) that Edge of the Abyss is one of the exceptions to writing collaborations that are well done and very thought out. That story is coming along nicely and it has an exciting plot.

As for amnesia Luke going back to Callista, I agree... SW 'tis a Space Opera not Soap Opera. [face_laugh]

6. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    I just wanted to drop in and say that next week is finals for me, and then my free time increases exponentially. :p Look for the first interview to be up shortly thereafter. :)

7. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    Hallo everyone! :)

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Hello Emmi!!! Love. Love. Love. Your Siggy!!!! [face_dancing] Woot!! That's our official motto from now on!!! [face_laugh] [face_laugh] :)

9. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    I've decided that's going to be the official policy of the SJRS. No Legacy. NJO only if you MUST. :p Oh, and check the website for a new challenge!

10. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Hey, I LIKE the NJO! :p

And where else but LotF can you get lines like "Crazy bugslut!" but from the ever-quotable and teh kewl Lumiya?

[face_devil]

[face_laugh]

11. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    I stopped reading a long time ago because the books were too disappointing. They're almost never characterized well, and they got too death happy. Star Wars stopped being fun for me in those books; I was either angry at how badly it was done, or crying because someone was dead at the end of them. So I stopped reading. And I'm glad I did, because I'd be angrier and more devastated than I am now (and that's pretty steamed, to tell the truth) when the current spoilers broke.

NJO is fine, but I really do mean it when I say the SJRS will NOT be acknowledging Legacy. At least not in challenges or round robins with our name on it, and the like. I am so angry right now...I'm sure you have an idea. :p

But on with more pleasant talk...how're everyone's stories coming along? I haven't been around in a while...anything new and non-angsty that I need to catch up on?

12. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    my rewrite of Lightswords has a delay for the next chapter at the moment due to not having access to my computer at home 24/7 (really long story - I'm staying at my parents house for at least another two or three weeks *sigh*).

But my rewrite of my L/M Parent Trap fanfic is getting into the good planning stages (not ready for posting, yet)

Enough about me, here's a
    Recommendation:

There's a good story by PonyTricks on Beyond (for the POTC quote challenge) that has Luke and Mara & Han and Leia. Its non angsty. Its a humorous pirate adventure.

Not sure what else to recommend - its hard to keep track of the L/M stories on the boards. I've fallen behind on so many at times - and there aren't many that are just L/M centric. There are quite a few that have L/M as characters, though.

DaenaBenJen has a few romance stories on the boards you might want to search for.

13. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I can understand not wanting to participate in a challenge, but do you think it's good form to exclude something that other Mara/Luke fans read and enjoy in an official capacity? Especially since it's officially canon?

14. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    Let me rephrase: I'm not saying mentioning Legacy will be against the rules, I'm just saying no challenge or round robin idea that comes from my fingertips and onto the boards at SJRS will contain content from Legacy. I won't support it. People are free to write and post whatever they like; people of course have freedom of speech. And Legacy content will be allowed to be posted at the boards at SJRS...in fact, there's a spoiler-allowed discussion going on at the SJRS boards right now. I have no problem mentioning what happened, I just don't want anything that *comes* from the people who run SJRS to have Legacy content. You see? So no challenges that contain LotF info, and no 'official' SJRS round robins or collabs that contain content from it. Everything else is fine. It's not even that stringent of a rule.

Just don't put the name of 'Skywalker-Jade Revival Society' on any story containing Legacy content. It's not even something that anyone else has to worry about, really. Any challenges that are 'official' usually come from me...Trace, you and anyone else who helps run the index are free to make them, I'm just the one that usually does, when I can. (I ought to give you admin powers over there, you all have practically run the place while I'm away, and I'm really grateful. Thank you so much. I suppose I shouldn't be butting in and making rules while I've been away so long, but the SJRS is my baby...and I feel so very strongly about this. If you want admin powers at the boards, say the word and they're yours.)

15. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Gotcha. If it's your website that you're talking about, that's fine. Do you do challenges with this thread title in them here on TFN?

16. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    Is this TFN related or something from another board?

17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    While I can understand being angry, I would imagine it may be difficult to ignore such a big piece of cannon. Could really spark quite a few muses here. :D :D

Either way, it would probably be up to those managing the thread, and those who particpate in it. Fans can be vocal. LOL

18. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    This is about somewhere on another board, mostly, guys. If not a rule, then I'd ask (to humor Emmi, who knows she's being too melodramatic but is too upset to care right now) that as a favor, nobody puts the name of the SJRS on anything that's got Legacy stuff in it. I don't even expect anyone to do that, I just wanted to do something that would...strike back a little. The SJRS is all I have of anything related to the current situation that I can control even a bit, and I don't want our name on that stuff. It can show up on our boards, the members can write fanfiction about it all they want. So can the admins. Anyone can post a challenge on the boards if they want. Just don't put our name on it. Cause that name is all I've got, and I'm not giving it to those idiots who run the Legacy series. I promise I'm not trying to impose on anybody's freedom of speech.

19. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    If it's your site you're talking, then we can't say anything. We're just trying to make sure that fans of the Luke and Mara couple have somewhere to talk about current events in the official capacity at TFN, and I believe this the only thread for them together.

20. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    Anyone can talk about anything they want. I'm not immature enough to think I can take away someone's right to talk about something. I just don't want us to support it. Do you understand the difference?

EDIT: I missed your question earlier, I apologize. No, the challenges don't go into this thread title. I try to post an alert here, but it's been a while since I've been here.

21. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I apologize if we sounded defensive, I think the misunderstanding was around the fact that we're talking about two different places. And generally thread "mommies" or "daddies" (for lack of a better term :p) have a lot of say in their threads in my experience, it sounds like this was my misunderstanding. I was actually coming in here to talk about "Sacrifice" and was scared I wasn't going to get to.

22. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    You can go on over to our boards if you like, there's a discussion there, spoilers and all. :) Anybody can talk about whatever they like. :p

http://skywalkerjade.proboards18.com

23. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Recent profic events have been stressful and the fact that emotions are running high is certainly understandable. [:D] (I think there are several of us who are appreciating the opportunity to have a discussion on the SJRS board, though it is contrary to the official policy of the off-site board. @};-)

To cheer us up - and for our fanfic reading pleasure - here's an update to the Index. :D

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Recommendations for Emmi: Union's Shadow by RedGold :) :) An Alliance At Alida's by divapilot. [face_dancing] It Started with a Kiss by Mira_Jade. The Sadder but Wiser Girl for Me by Redtenko. :D These are all L/M-centric. Oh, and if you haven't caught this--Measure of a Man by Luke_Angels (ginchy and JadeLotus). It's got everyone in it but it's too hilarious to miss!! :D Monday Mush Mania's comingup on June 25, and it's definitely gonna be L/M-centric. Woot!

25. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    I love you, Trace. :p

Any happy stories?

EDIT for Jade eyes; Thanks, honey! I'll certainly have a look at some of those. I'm going to try and post a one-shot or two; I haven't done one of those in a LONG time, and the ones I have done in recent past have been Jacella, but in light of recent events I think I'll be moving back to L/M for a while. I have been keeping an eye on Measure of a Man, simply because I remember when ginchy was talking about the idea and I thought it was hilarious! She and I are really good friends, so I try to keep up with most of her stuff. :)

Incidentally, if there are any newer people here who haven't read Infinite Possibilities by Gabri_Jade, get ye to http://fanfic.theforce.net and read it immediately! It should be required (or at least recommended, lol) reading for the SJRS. (Thinking of ginchy made me think of Gabi, who is my other big sister on here, and that fabulous story. I think I shall probably be rereading it pretty soon in order to console myself. [face_love] )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.