main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spring, MO The STLFF Off-Topic Thread V2.0: Quit Spamming Teh Boards!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Jedi_Commander_Faofa, Nov 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twilek69

twilek69 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Frank,
    The chapter is not falling apart around you, there is just decreased activity. I don't think it is either right or fair to blame previous leaders for this either. Our previous leaders had the same problem you are having now and did everything they could to try build up this chapter. No one set you up to fail, we all agreed that you would do a good job in the role as CR, you are not alone, you have the rest of the council here and there are still other members who post!!! There has been a decrease in activity for some time and it has nothing to do with you or anyone else other than it's summer, people are busy, there are no new movies coming out, etc. The SW world is kind of at a stand still and so people are going elsewhere to get there Sci-Fi fixes. So, take a deep breathe and relax! [:D]

Why don't you start a new thread or bump up the thread about what our members would like this chapter to be about and what activities they would like to see happen. This has been a battle ever since the excitement over ROTS has died out, so it's something the St. Louis FF and I am sure other FF's are dealing with. Maybe you can ask some of the other CR's what they do and maybe we should call a council meeting too.

2. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    I think those of us with costumes should totally get together and put together some Star Wars street theatre. Short skits to perform without warning on unsuspecting people in malls or somewhere amusing.

3. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Jon,
    That would be hilarious!!! We would have to have a camera person, because I am sure there would be at least one America's Funniest Home Video moments. LOL![face_laugh]

4. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    Scene 1: Darth Vader, Luke and Leia go out for a family dinner....

I could totally see doing this at like a TGI Fridays where they have a patio so even if we were kind of loud so people could hear the skit it wouldn't be overwhelming. But we'd have to make sure it was during a busy time so we'd have to wait for a table and get the hostess to call out "Vader: Party of three".

EDIT: Or perhaps we could have a Jedi vs. a Sith and one of their lightsabers doesn't work so they have to go around asking random people for batteries.

"Excuse me. Hi. Sorry to bother you, but there's this evil Sith Lord over there and we're supposed to be having a lightsaber duel and... oh gosh this is embarassing... but my batteries are dead. Do you have any spare ones? No? Could you go run to Radio Shack and grab some for me while I keep him distracted? I've got republic credits...."

Meanwhile, Vader is standing off to the side saying "I'm getting bored over here!"

5. Jedi_Master_Medic

Jedi_Master_Medic Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2005
    This is totally a awsome idea I like it

Frank, I am here for you, mkay BUT we have to ACTAULLy do Somethingbesides
    1. go to Show Me's
    2. Go to Dave and busters or on the Landing. I am not a big drinking person( personal reasons) I like to do fun things besides go out and spend that 10 -15 I DO NOT have right now.

Free is good! Bookstores are great! Movies are fun but then again falls into money I do not always have.
    The biggest thing is I have to work every other weekend. I work nights and finishing out RN school. So my time and money are limited.

Just let me know and I can try to be there, I do not want the group to fail either, but when you do the same thing month after month, well...........

6. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Jon,
    I am so for it! That would be great!!!! I especially love going around asking for batteries. Hilarious!

Medic,
    Show Me's and the Landing has only been called up for socials and just because we go there, you do not have to drink. Not everyone drinks when we have our socials. Dave and Buster's during the day is fun and family friendly. I took my 10yr old and he had a blast. It was expensive though, but a 10 yr old can go through some tokens quickly. LOL!

Money is an issue for us all and I understand that and I try to save up for any of our meetings and I do attend so frugally. I don't buy popcorn or soda at the movie and eat meals under $10., etc.

The problem we have had and will continue to have is trying to please the masses. It has been hard for our previous CR's and will be for any future CR's too. But, we all need to remember that EVERYONE has a say and you have to speak up to be heard.

7. jedi_runya

jedi_runya Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 4, 2005
    Frank, I am sorry you are feeling put off. I stepped down because I am in the process of getting my Certs. MCDBA certifications that take up an unheard amount of time and effort. This group has been slowing down a lot over the last few months, and really I just didn't have time to spare and thought it would be best to step down. I am still around; I still check the boards, but if I don't post it is not a sign of anything. But I also don't think blaming the prior leadership is going to help the cause...

In regards to meetings Medic, I must point out, that it is and always has been, up to group suggestions. We all talked about it and where, what and how is a group decision. You have an equal say as does everyone. If you didn't/don't like it, step up and make suggestions and show to meetings.

I think two things must be remembered here. One, it take people to run a group. Everyone participating and showing up. Two, people have real lives. So right now I for one, have huge time issues. I don't think it is a sign of anyone plotting, or planning the failure of this group. It is just Darth real life taking hold. So interest is wanning, well then lets put our heads together and thinks of things everyone wants to do. That was the reason I started the suggestions threads. And really if things are slowing down, well that is happening everywhere: Go look... :p

If you need help or suggestions ask for it! There is a glorious amount of people here that want to do things... :D

8. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    What he said.

9. Jedi_Master_Medic

Jul 8, 2005
    That is very true Leash, but like I said my big this is not only money ( like many here) but time also.

I know D&B is expensive, LOl, and I have no idea but bet it feels like you have to take out a small loan for tolkins. HAHA. I just hope they win something cool with the tickets.:D

10. Jedi_Master_Medic

Jul 8, 2005
    Runya you are right.

As I said my biggest thing is time, even more before money.

Plus like was mentioned, Summer is here, more folks are away, doing things or have other issues going on. By fall I have a feeling it will pick up again.

11. spideymj

spideymj Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2005
    How does the captain of the ship expect the ship to know where it is going if he never gives direction. (or posts)
    Spew your vent somewhere else. (may I suggest Live Journal)

12. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    I appologise for the harshness of my earlier post and should have thought things out a bit better but I felt that I had to rock the boat, almost to the point of capsizing it, to get a response and to get input from everyone and it seems to have accomplished that. I am just so worried about this falling apart around me and was desperate to keep that from happening. Should I have tried to go about it a different way, perhaps but what's done is done.

I just hope that you all can understand why I did what I did even if you disagree with my method.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled fun. :D

13. titania7

titania7 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 28, 2005
    *pokes head in*

Hey everyone! Anyone remember me? Patrick? Our little guy Teaguen?

I just wanted to come by and say hi and hope everyone is doing well!

We were half talking about making a meeting sometime in the future, maybe a social or something, so I might pop in a little more, if that's okay...

Hopefully we'll catch you all soon!

14. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    Good to see you around again!

Should come to the lightsaber building party next month!

15. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    I don't remember you being this perky Jon. :p

16. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    It happens.

17. Dagobah_Diva

Dagobah_Diva Jedi Master star 4

Sep 24, 2002
    I've seen him perky a couple of times. It's kinda freaky. Never know what he's up to.

How are ya, Danielle? :)

18. spideymj

Feb 4, 2005
    Hi Danielle,

Good to see you! I missed seeing you around here. Yes, come back often and post, and bring some friends. :p

19. SteelLepp

SteelLepp Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 1, 1998
    I think the other BIG thing is how spread out the St Louis area is. Not even counting me (and my "make it to one meeting a year" self), it can be an hour drive to get anywhere if you live on the extreme ends. I guess this still really falls under the "time and money" issues raised earlier, but also some effort. But me personally, I tend to just lurk about & stay out of all the politics that inevitably crop up.

The street plays idea sounds fun, although I can just imagine how hot it would be standing around d/t St Louis in a Vader or my TIE Pilot costume.

20. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    I imagine doing it inside would be best. ;)

BTW, good to see you again Tim.

21. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    Welcome back, Danielle. :)

How's it been going, Tim? :)

22. Dagobah_Diva

Dagobah_Diva Jedi Master star 4

Sep 24, 2002
    Psst...that's not Tim. LOL It's Steve.

23. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    Wait... so who's Tim?

Damn trying to connect real names with screen names....

24. spideymj

Feb 4, 2005
    Tim is Darth Shoey, a great dad (and a relative new daddy,) and all around nice guy. (he was there at the Aaron Alston chat last year. (Tim, you need to post more often):p
    Steve is Steelepp, also a great dad, (has a really awesome daughter that I hung out with at ROTS,so he could scare people in his Tie outfit) and also a all around nice guy, (who needs to post more often too. ) :p

25. titania7

titania7 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 28, 2005
    Things are good around here. I'm dealing with the fact that I'm going to be 30 in a few weeks, :_| and Teaguen is starting kindergarten :_|! But beyond that, things are good!

Oh, and we're all still scratching from the bug buffet we provided last weekend while camping! lol!

How's everyone else?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.