main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The "Stuff in the Background"

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by THE PortmanLuvva, Nov 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    In Ep.2 on Tatooine, I think when Anakin and Padme are talking to Watto, you can see a toddler of some species waddling after some chicken-like creatures that run out of its way. I caught that on a later viewing. I think it's cute.

Also, the first and only time that Jar Jar made me laugh was something I only noticed when I watched Ep.1 on Blu-ray for the first time. On the landing platform of Coruscant, you can see Jar Jar trying to distract one of the stoic blue-clad Senate guards. I probably think that's so funny because I remember visiting London as a child and trying to distract those Palace guards.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The word, maybe. Physically they are very different.

3. MagicSpork

MagicSpork Jedi Knight star 2

May 25, 2004
    Now that Disney is involved, I wonder how many cryptic phallic objects will be in the next three movies...

TreborSabreon and Count Yubnub like this.
  4. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    That incident was used in the Millenium Falcon novel.

5. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Here's another I I remembered, it's during the "Sir, Commander Skywalker hasn't come in through the south entrance" bit of ESB. Check out the setting of that discussion; it's a bunch of guys and a medical droid around a tauntaun that's undergoing medical treatment. I didn't catch that until I-don't-know-how-many viewings. I love that!

6. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    The chicks in the bar in AOTC checking Anakin out... While SW is for kids, it's fun to see occasional glimpses of an adult world.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  7. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    Is there any evidence of Mara Jade anywhere? EU has her in Jabbas palace and at the Barge explosion. A dancer working for the Hutt.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    No, because she hadn't been invented yet.

9. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    i've always heard E.T. was in the PT, but never could find them. So it is TRUE!

10. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    the E.T. type aliens are in the PT? Wow. So this shows a connection between the Star Wars universe and our planet because ET went to earth in that movie called ET. I love connections. Maybe more Star Wars people will cross over to our universe with the help of forever cryptical Disney. Oh, I didn't know the girls were checking out Anakin. So, why wasn't Anakin a player then?

11. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    There was a Star Wars reference in E.T. so GL returned the favor.

12. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    the joys of retcons huh!

13. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    After reading the Timothy Zahn stuff, I figured this: Timothy Zahn was watching Return of the Jedi and decided one of the women in the background was Mara Jade. From the descriptions, I figured she is the one in the bikini top walking with Bib Fortuna when Oola was arguing with Jabba and then when Boussh arrived with Chewbacca. Unfortunately, the card makers or RPG makers turning every single image into characters with backgrounds have named that person as someone else, but Zahn was first, so I like to think that was Mara Jade.

In a shot of Obi-Wan touring the cloning facility, a child clone can be seen kicking down a building of blocks constructed by another one.
    I always liked seeing the gungans physically fight the Battle Droids in the background while Jar Jar was in the foreground trying to shake a droid off him.

I noticed the E.T.s the first time. I almost didn't want to believe what I saw because it was like having a connection to Earth. I know it was just for kicks, but still that thought came to mind.
    I miss noticing things in the OT even after seeing the films many times. At this point I feel like I've noticed all there is to notice.
    That's exactly what they are doing. The establishing shot of that scene, from the outside, shows the droid replacing the window. They finished up during the conversation.
    That's exactly what they are doing. The establishing shot of that scene, from the outside, shows the droid replacing the window. They finished up during the conversation.

PoorGreedo and TreborSabreon like this.
  14. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    The Phantom Menace was chock full of these... but I credit that to seeing it in 3D. The backgrounds are extremely lively, ILM really went all out. Some things I noticed were:
    * Mini Trade Federation droids - Seen walking through the hallways of the battleship and at the battle of Naboo, I used to think they were baby battledroids or something as a kid. Upon later viewings, it seemed they were gathering discarded droid parts
    * A bisected droid continues to stumble about after losing his upper half
    * The E.T. senators were a riot. Definately a clever easter egg.
    There's tons more, but those are the ones that come to mind.

15. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    After listening to the commentary for ROTS: I never thought about that before, but apparently the opening battle is the first time in the SW we see big ships firing at each other.

16. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Yeah, kind of "Master & Commander"-style. I love that.

17. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    There's also a continuous sequence in the background during the fight with Dooku. I'll try to pay attention next time I watch.

18. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    And packed as close together as the ships in paintings of Trafalgar!

Count Yubnub likes this.
  19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That is a great scene, and it's something that should appear more often in Star Wars:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Capital ships are seen firing at each other during the space battle in Return of the Jedi, after Lando advises to engage the Star Destroyers at point blank range. In one shot similar to that bottom image, ships near each other fire away, and in a shot of Admiral Ackbar an engagement can be seen out his window ending with a Star Destroyer exploding.
    More from the prequels... when Anakin and Obi-Wan walk into the Outlander Club having their "death of me" conversation, watch the man and woman to the left. He talks, she looks down at herself, then shakes her head. Another thing I noticed post-theaters was right after that, when the woman descends into the room from the clear tube in the right of the background. There was an Official Select picture of her knees as she stood in there.

Count Yubnub likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.