main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Theater

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother Strikes Back' started by COSLeiaOrganaSolo, May 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Hear, hear.

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    exactly! You know, as a kid, it's all fun and light-hearted to you. But when I watch it now, it's really sadistic. When August gets sucked up and Wonka's only worried about his chocolate... the makers of the movie were also on so many different kinds of hallucinagens.

3. JediPrincessKas

JediPrincessKas Jedi Master star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    You know, Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory never realy got my attention. I mean, don't get me wrong, I adore chocolate, but this movie was just weird. Even when I was younger I didn't love it. I watch it every now and then, and it IS tripped out. :eek: It's funny how the entire movie changes when you're an adult.

4. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Oh, definitely. This movie tripped me out when I was little and it's one of those films that I watch, but it's just a little unsettling. There's something demented about a little girl turning huge and purple and little boys shrinking from tv.

A lot of psychotropic drugs going on during that script writing session.

5. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't do drugs, but I do like the tripped out ;) I can be trippy without drugs, I'm that weird :p

6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I saw Bruce Almighty yesterday. I had it on good recomendations from usually scathing Christian review sites that the film had a positive spiritual message, being directed by a Christian and all. So I saw it, and by golly, they were right. One of the boldest films on the subject of God in a while. Bold in the way of actually portraying him as the Bible does. It doesn't make fun of God, it makes fun of Man and his stupidity and dependence.
    (I mention all this because I'm a Christian and that's important to me)

On top of that, it was freakin' funny. :D

7. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    That's really good to hear. There's a guy at my church that's really against seeing it but the things I'd seen on interviews with Carrey and Shaydac is that they really wanted it to be a positive message and not offensive. We're going to see it tomorrow night so I'm excited about hearing your thoughts. :)

Another high recommendation - I just finished watching the new version of Our Town with Paul Newman as the Narrator. One of the best filmed productions of the play I've seen. They kept very true to the theatrical sense and kept it on the stage. Rent it or see it on Showtime if you get the chance.

8. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Yep, Bruce Almighty was very good. I'd have preferred a little less "Carrey-isms", but over all the movie was both hysterically funny and very touching. Had a fantastic message as well.

9. TheEmperorsHand

TheEmperorsHand Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 2000
    I've been thinking of seeing Bruce Almighty, and it sounds good from what you've all said, so maybe I will ;)

I did recently see Down With Love and.... finally.... X2, both of which I enjoyed. I just thought Down with Love was a very cute film, and I loved X2. I hadn't seen the first one yet, so I was surprised at how easy it was to pick up on what was happening. :)

10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    My mom and I want to see DWL, and my dad is going with me to see Reloaded again (he hasn't seen it yet). I need to sneak in another viewing of X2. And I have to see Identity, but I'm probably going to have to wait until video for that one :_| But I've never seen my Johnny in theatres :( *sniffle*

Kate I understand what you mean about Carry-isms, that immature kind of comedy. I don't like that too much, but I thought there were other funny parts too. I liked subtle stuff like when he had the water at the party and poured it in the glass and it turned to wine! [face_laugh] Yeah, I thought the message- that God doesn't hate us, we're just not listening to him or asking for the right things- was great. I want to see that again too...

Can you tell school's almost out? ;)

Today I watched The Adventures of Pricilla, Queen of the Dessert... Guy Pearce and Hugo Weaving as Drag Queens! :eek: I just wanted to hear them in their normal accents. They were both great, but it was a little disturbing to see Agent Smith and Leonard Shelby in dresses... hmmm, could this be saying something about our Lenny? :eek: :p

I also watched The Sure Thing because I'm a total sucker for old John Cusack romantic comedies (er, or new ones too ;) ) It was funny and very touching. I almost cried!

And I just finished watching Clue which is one of my favourites. Very underrated.

Woah, that was a long post :eek: Well, we ARE talking about movies, afterall ;)

11. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    I saw Priscilla when it first came out. Loved it. Very funny and touching at the same time. I think that's when I developed my crush on Hugo Weaving. [face_love]

12. JediPrincessKas

Aug 9, 2002
    Hey, I watched Clue yesterday also, Rachel! :) I'd never seen it before, and it took me almost the entire movie to get who was who straight. :p But it was a good movie, I liked it. I'll have to catch it again sometime. :D

And I want to see both Bruce Almighty and Down With Love. But I haven't seen as many movies lately as I would like to. :(

13. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    I love Madeline Kahn in Clue. She's sexy. [face_love]

I caught two movies over the past week. I saw Holes in the theater and highly recommend it. I guess it is a kids movie, but it's certainly not dumbed down in any way, and has a really good cast. Jon Voigt, Sigourney Weaver, Patricia Arquette...

I also finally saw Shadow of the Vampire, with John Malkovich and Willem Dafoe as Max Shrek. Not a bad movie, and Dafoe is awsome in it, but kind of short and not too memorable.

Is anyone looking forward to Finding Nemo? It looks fantastic animation-wise, and Pixar really hasn't made a bad film yet. I'm really looking forward to how the deep blue sea looks in their animation. Hopefully, there aren't too many animated humans either, as that seems to be their weak point.

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    John, I the animation on Finding Nemo looks amazing, and you're right, I love all their films. I'm definitely seeing this one. I also want to see Holes, as I heard it was good. But I'm not sure it's still playing here....

Tomorrow I'm going to see Identity, which I've wanted to see since a few months before it came out :p Yesterday I watched High Fidelity and today I watched Serendipity (the most wonderfully hopelessly romantic movie ever). I'm so happy because Friday Say Anything... is on. I'm mad at myself for not taping Grosse Point Blank or The Sure Thing, both of which I watched last week, though :( .... ok now, find the pattern in this paragraph! ;)

Clue... I have wanted to get that movie on DVD forever. Maybe today I can go to Best Buy and Borders to get it and 25th Hour and some books. SCHOOL IS GONE! FREEEEEDOMM!!!

15. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    I've always loved Clue. It has such a great cast and Madeline Kahn is brilliant.

I am totally looking forward to Finding Nemo. The animation looks great, but, as usual, the humor in the previews is stellar.

16. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    The squid who sprays his ink when scared = classic.

25th Hour is out on DVD now? I guess that's my rental for the week. I'm still wanting to see Cube 2, Equilibrium, and Comedian.

17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, apparently 25th Hour was released on DVD sooner than expected. I haven't had a chance to buy it yet. I saw it in theatres and loved it. Ed was great ;) Actually, everyone was great in that movie. And the film itself was awesome.

18. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    The squid who sprays his ink when scared = classic.

I know! [face_laugh] I also love the starfish on the side of the tank who says, "Find a happy place! Find a happy place!" when the little girl is tapping on the tank. :D

19. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    I just rented 25th Hour. It had better be good Rachel, or else...

Adaptation is also out. I've got quite a few movies to rent.

20. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Wow. Yeah, there are a lot I need to rent as well.

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    John, I hope you like 25H, for my sake ;)

Tonight I watched Adaptation, which my brother bought. Awesome movie (especially for someone who wants to be a screenwriter/director)

22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Oh yeah, and John Cusack was also in a cameo in Adaptation which I didn't know about. Stalker [face_plain]

23. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    I'll have to see Adaptation. I've heard such great things, but just never saw it.

I watched Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid. I forgot how great that movie was.

24. JediPrincessKas

Aug 9, 2002
    Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid? Interesting...

So, I finally saw The Godfather last night. Yep, all of it. Well, I kind of dozed off near the end, but I did happen to catch the end of it. Overall, I thought it was a pretty good movie. I enjoyed it. I had to keep asking my mom who was who and what was going on, because I would get a little behind, but I eventually got it. :) I'll have to get it on DVD so I can watch it again and hopefully catch some things I missed before. Very good movie. :)

25. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Yeah, The Godfather's a classic. I haven't seen it in years, though.

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid - Steve Martin. Great movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.