main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The theoretical upside to a *new* EU

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Boba Frett, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I sort of almost hope that Episode VII comes out, and everyone's surprised that it's basically compatible with the EU, and then VIII comes out, and there are some issues, but they retcon and everyone is pretty pleased, and then IX comes out and makes it absolutely impossible for the ST and EU to coexist, thus rendering the first ten or so years of ST tie-in EU absolutely useless.

2. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    There is NO upside to a new continuity. Enough said. Move along. Move along.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  3. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    I think that Hav was (probably tongue-in-cheek) suggesting that new EU books, based on the ST, might be invalidated and overwritten by the events in Ep IX! Would be rather a joke if that happened!

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  4. LawgSkrak

Apr 23, 1999
    Oh no, I got that. It would be hilarious.

I was just responding to the thread title.

5. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Well, if I was up there to decide and it was my job, that's probably how I would handle it. o_O You gotta give before you can take. And fear is always your worst enemy - right now all fans are worried and battle alert - but lulled into the exciting new universe that Episodes VII and VIII have provided... hmmm? ;)

Tim Battershell likes this.
  6. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Hamill, Fisher and Ford are on board for Ep VII. That is the reboot. And yeah, I think it's ridiculous.

7. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Not doubting you Mani, but has that been officially announced?

8. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    You should doubt me. I doubt I know what I'm talking about. I have to admit, for a such a huge SW fanatic I've been paying little to no attention to EP VII news. I just keep surfing by half-baked big 3 articles. I think the thing is that they all say they want in. Which would of course be a joke. Even in Ford's case. Doing a quick google search I'm finding that they aren't actually signed to anything. The point is moot in relation to the EU anyhow. Episode VII is new pavement over the old road that was once Bantam, Del Rey and a lot of Dark Horse.

9. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Yeah, chaos!

cthugha likes this.
  10. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Just thinking that there is quite a lot to tie up for only four novels; the Vestara thing for instance - why was it so urgent to retcon her Thermal Det throw into an intentional bungle? What of the vision of Ben (complete with long-handled Sith-style Lightsaber, in the Pool); although I admit to regarding all things seen/heard on that planet as highly suspect. What of Luke's Force Vision of Ben piloting a Vong/Sekotan style ship? Krayt and his One Sith? The Lost Tribe? Surely Jaina and Co. aren't expected to deal with all of them within one trilogy?

Hand of Thrawn tied up the First Galactic Civil War and its aftermath, true, but were there loose ends left untied? I can't really remember any.

11. LawgSkrak

Apr 23, 1999
    Like you said, you don't know what you're talking about. None of us know anything yet.

12. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    We, the mushrooms, know nothing - absolutely nothing - about anything. Just keep us in the dark and feed us on poodoo!

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    But all three of their roles are alive in the EU. So, yeah, it's not a problem, let alone a reboot.

Daala, the Deep Core Imperials, Lumiya, Brakiss, Callista, Centerpoint, the Unknown Terrors, the Chiss, the Ssi-Ruuk, Yevetha, and Corellian unhappiness.

Otherwise known as YJK, DNT, LotF and FotJ, with the Ssi-Ruuk and Yevetha cleaned up by the NJO.

Shrug.

14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Is this the right thread to post doubts about there being a "new EU" if the "existing EU" is ended?

15. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    I get what you're saying and overall I agree, but If it gets to the point that all three Solo kids, Ben, and Mara have to mysteriously die and somehow no one mentions them in three movies or any of their tie-ins ... we really would be better off abandoning ship and rebooting.

I'm as big a big-tent guy as there is, but at a certain point continuity can't be stretched anymore without breaking.

16. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    On the flip side, using those characters in VII would probably cause a reboot just as easily. Or just the absence of the Galactic Alliance or Federation... instead a return to the New Republic. There are a lot of things that could cause a reboot.