main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive The Think-Tank: NSWRPF Flagship Planning and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by Kalio_Dynkos, Mar 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    Almost done with freshman year of college, that's how.

As for KD, he's been gone roughly as long as you. I sent him a PM a couple minutes after sending the one to you, and no response.

2. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    Got a response from KD:

For the record, this came as a reply to a message I sent him the same time I PMed Elu, so at the time, both had disappeared, and now I've edited out the parts about Elu disappearing since they're not really quite as relevant now.

3. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Edit: Hmmmmmmmm.... never mind. :)

-I_H

4. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    The ol' Hammer Studios logo at the bottom of the Flagship OP?

I'm not sure we can handle the awesomeness that would entail. As for the Senate game, I have neither the time nor the backreading to take over. However, I wouldn't be aversed to lending a helping hand within the GDG somehow.

5. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    Call me crazy, but from this angle, it sort of sounds like it could be taken as Hammer jettisoning his current projects in favor of whatever looks popular. If you do that to your old games, how the heck do we know that you won't fob this game off on someone else if you get bored? The Senate game is pretty much your pet project from start to finish, so why the heck would you drop it to go after a game that you've barely had any involvement in? I'm sorry to put it this way, but I don't believe you'd be of much use to this game at all. Furthermore, I believe that if you pass the Senate game to someone else, it will die on its own. I can't think of anyone else who is as interested in the political process, judging by the utterly mystifying drama-queen antics that have been going on every time a bill comes up for discussing.

Of course, feel free to prove me wrong and tell me what you can do as a GM, but based on your posts in this thread, I'm not getting the right sense of spark.

6. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Well you're right Light...

My offer was only b/c it seems no one else wants it sadly... :(

It would be out of duty vs. love. And I think you make a very good (implied) point that it probably should be the other way around.

So never mind. On further reflection, I think I'll stick with my own game. Didn't think that post out.

Shortest offer eva. :p

And thanks for serving as my conscience on looking for popular projects. Thats an old nasty habit of mine from way back that I've tried to stop doing.

Carry on w/ your discussion folks! Nothin' to see here. O:)

-I_H

7. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    The problem I'm seeing here is that it's too damn gimmicky. I've said it a few times before, but just shoehorning as many settings in as possible isn't a very good idea. It lacks a coherent vision and can spread your player base too thin. Even IBoP didn't allow people to do everything they wanted, it gave them several big faction options and smaller ones and let them do as they pleased.

Get someone here with a compelling vision and sense of style, someone who can create something where looking at it makes you think "I want to play this game". "It's got portals and different flavors" does not strike me as a very compelling setting.

8. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    We started with vision and a bunch of visionaries. Now we've lost our two biggest visionaries. I'd volunteer if I didn't already know I'd have to dump it come fall, if not sooner.

Trust me, we were building a vision behind it. Sans Kalio and Elu, whose idea it was primarily, it might be a good idea to find our new leadership and getting their vision, not just snag KD's and Elu's vision and call it our own...unless we can all get really committed to it.

Also, damn you LW for linking to stuff that sounds interesting but which I don't have time to read...

9. Hammurabi

Hammurabi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2007
    Well, me and Sephy could always come up with some Steampunk wonderthing (we've each already come up with compelling gameworlds). The problem is neither of us really could consistently GM it - come fall, I'm also going to get busy, and I've never GMed anything before, so I would probably feel overwhelmed anyway. However, I would be willing to co-GM, if it came to that. However, I feel like I could only do it if I had one or two solid GMs at my side. In on way am I capable of running this show.

Another option would be to create a Heroes-style thing. The idea is pretty basic; random people get superpowers. Now that X-Men is gone, we've kinda got a hole that needs to be filled, and even if we don't do something like that for our flagship, I definitely could see that sort of thing being very successful.

Anyways, I might just start working on my Steampunk/horror/cowboy/etc idea a little bit over the weekend. Come up with a better way of putting it. I dunno.

10. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Yeahh... I would volunteer ... but as a fourth-year uni student my free time is pretty much nil too. :( Which is why I never put myself forward as a co/sub-GM, either.

I still think we should stay away from established franchises for our flagship, though. A Heroes-style idea would be neat, as long as we made a Heroes-style game and not a Heroes game.

11. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    So is there anyone who actually can GM?

12. Hammurabi

Jan 14, 2007
    Yes, I made a point to refer to it as a Heroes-style game rather than a Heroes game. Although really if you take Heroes and replace the current characters with original characters, the transfer has pretty much been made from Heroes to Heroes-style. The basic idea is handy (and not really anything original Heroes came up with) - ordinary people gain superpowers.

I've got another interesting idea, which would enable us to make a far more flexible game. Expect a post on it later (if I forget, someone please remind me).

13. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    Glanced in real quick, amid...*waves hand toward RL* ...all that. Wasn't expecting Kalio to be so...busy either. Foolish of me. *ponders*

If people are still interested in making this work, please post stating so and if you're all willing to give me a few days, I'll see if I can stretch out my schedule a bit. Despite RL issues, I don't want to see this flounder this early, so I'll do my best to continue to lead. Not that it's led to much so far.

Just give me a few days and I'll get some things figured out. And as a side note, I heavily agree with Xan. Established Franchises would be best left alone in a game like this. Tough, sure, but for the best.

14. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    Elu, you have my sword.

15. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    wt* is steampunk?

"Wt* is [insert franchise]" you'll probably hear that a lot and thats something you want to avoid. Don't pick something that isn't well-known.

Have you guys ever considered using Star Trek? Star Trek could open up a lot of possibilities with the time and space stuff they've come up with. Temporal rifts could send people to different realities or time-lines and it isn't uncommon for Star Trek to crossover to another franchise. I've seen official X-men/Star Trek, Batman/Star Trek and so forth.

And honestly the player doesn't need to be a rocket scientist to play Star Trek characters or know the entire franchise. If they've seen any of the series or a couple movies they'll fit in fine. And Star Trek has a nice wiki called Memory Alpha that is very handy in brushing up on Trek knowledge.

In ST: Enterprise we saw a story arch about a temporal war. You can use something like that as the base of your plot. A temporal-reality war between the Federation and another faction. This evil faction is trying to destroy history while also warping reality. This tampering could end up causing a zombie disease outbreak (Resident Evil) in a reality when that event's catalyst should never have existed in that reality in the first place. So the heros have to go into this alternate reality, back in time to find the rift that caused their reality (Star Trek) to merge with that reality (Resident Evil).

Players would not be limited to just Star Trek and neither would they be fixing one reality at a time. Because of the tampering, several realities would have accidentally merged together, mixing them. So we could have Wolverine being the last survive on earth (I Am Legend) instead of whoever Will Smith played. So this merging would allow players from different realities to play NOW instead of waiting for the heros to go to their reality. They end up joining the band of Federation heros to make things right.

16. Hammurabi

Jan 14, 2007
    Well, the thing is, if we make it a franchise game it stops being the flagship and starts being a franchise game. It limits the number of people who can join, but it also draws strength from its own fanbase - however, it's not a flagship, if you get what I mean. Personally, I've wondered why certain popular franchises (Star Trek, Firefly) haven't yet been made into RPs in the NSWRPF. I assume it's mostly because no one so far has tried. If you (or anyone else) is interested, go right ahead. But I don't know if it'd be appropriate to turn the flagship into a franchise game.

Although with regards to Star Trek, an ideal time to start an RP would probably be a year from now, when the new film comes out. Right now, Star Trek is very much at a lull. It's been on a decline for a while, and it has dropped entirely off the map since 2005. The new film is designed to reinvigorate the franchise, and I imagine there'll be a huge influx of new fans around that time.

17. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    o_O@Hammer I'll PM you.

Hammurabi, it wouldn't be a franchise game because it isn't one franchise. This combines the multiple universe thing you all were toying with while at the same time giving the game plausibility.

18. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    The problem with Star Trek is that this is a Star Wars board. Star Trek mixes with most Star Wars fans the same way oil mixes with water. I know from getting just such a reaction when I proposed a ST game a while back in the discussion thread. There's not a big enough ST fanbase to try and run a flagship-sized ST game, and really, there aren't enough important ST characters for that anyway. ST lends itself well to a game with a small player base, just covering roughly about as many people as you have important named senior officers in any of the shows. The flagship is supposed to appeal to a much larger group, bordering on unwieldy.

Now, as for time-travel, genre-hopping (ST or otherwise), I think we unanimously agreed in the first few pages that time-travel would get a little too convoluted to flow well as flagship material, although if someone could get a dedicated time travel game to work not necessarily as flagship, that would be really really cool. Once again, the flagship is aiming at a large player base, and either you have too many people altering the past to keep track of, or a few people altering the past with too many people unable to keep track of said alterations. Once again, it might work better to have a small, time-traveling gang of misfits a la Chrono Trigger, but as a large party endeavor, I don't think it'll work.

19. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    I understand where you're coming from, Mitth. However, this game would be better suited to taking ideas from some franchises rather than actually using the franchises themselves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.