main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD The War Room - QLDFF Events Planning Thread

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by BigBossNass1138, Jan 10, 2007.

1. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Works for me. :) Cheers for getting that all squared away, K.

2. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    We'll take the third bedroom, and will be up on Friday and Saturday nights.

So looking forward to this.

Kithera

3. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Cool..me looking forward to it too :)

Kit was interested in the second bedroom too BBN, so if you guys wanted to upgrade to the fancy pants room, goobs and I are happy to take the cheap third bedroom option...

Otherwise going for plan A.

The location on the map isn't right either..it's on the other side of the main coolum street. Goob's been google earthing it to get a better view..interesting block...garages at the front, then front yard, pool, then house.

Can we go now!??

4. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Pool? Nice. :)

Don't feel you have to downgrade yourself out of the swanky room, K. You did the work getting this organised, seems only right to me you get the good one. :)

5. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    I'll stand aside on the room allocations. If I'm going solo, I have no problem with sleeping on the couch. (And seconded on the above. It wouldn't be fair if the brains behind this sordid operation downgraded.)

6. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Events as of 21 October 2008:

-- Goblins & Ghosties Halloween Party: 1 November, 7:30pm @ Kit's place(?), RSVP 24 October. Discuss here.

-- SERIOUS BUSINESS LIVE - Serious Business Dead: 22 November @ Echo Base, see this thread for discussion.

-- NaNoWriMo: From 1 - 30 November - refer to this thread for more discussion.

-- Guy Fawkes Night: 5 November. DVD watching, tentatively at Lozza's place. Discuss to finalise details.

-- Coolum Getaway 2: Tentatively suggested for weekend of 28 - 30 November. Discuss here.

-- Christmas Eve: 24 December. Scoff and I are thinking of having a sort of open house, eat food, drink alcohol, maybe watch some dvds sort of night if anyone is free.

-- Christmas: 25 December.

-- Boxing Day (Insert movie here): 26 December.

-- Brisbane Supanova 2009: 3 - 5 April 2009 @ The RNA Showgrounds.

-- SERIOUS BUSINESS - HIGH STEAKS: Time and Date TBA. Please discuss the optimal dates for the pulverising of Serious Appetites.

SERIOUS BUSINESS: Because it's Serious. Go here for serious discussion.

The Globe movie doubles: Times and dates for various doubles will be posted here. Check back regularly. Movie doubles that have interest invested in them will be added to the main event list.

Suggested Events: For discussion of suggested events, marathons and other vague happenstances, please refer to this page.

Anything I've missed on this list? Let me know. [face_whistling]

7. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    We juut got tickets to Dralion, the cirque de soleil show, in brisbane November to January.

23rd December, 8pm show.

Had never been, and figured it was an experience one should have!

Apologies for not posting or organising a group thing but tickets are expensive and going fast. We got the relative cheaper ones...$89 each! and there was only about 6 left in our section.

Still if anyone else was intending on going, we'll be there on Christmas Eve Eve.

[face_clown]

Oh, and the ticketing system for the show is really quite remarkable!! views from seats and all.

points to this

..it did a few times of refreshing page and attempting to enter ticketing before I got in,

8. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    I'm surprised you still managed to get tickets, was difficult to get two sets together when I booked 2 months ago. This will be my 3rd Cirque Du Soliel show, and I'm hoping it will be better than the last one (Alegria). I saw the televised production of Dralion (they showed it on channel 9 just after Soltembanco toured) back about 5 years ago and really, really liked it. I only hope they haven't changed too much.

I think my tickets are for the 13th or 14th of December, and dang it was hard to get 2 seats in the good sections, and Tapas Rogue was all sold out :s Not that I'm likely to want to spend $300+ per ticket. Okay, maybe one of these days I will [face_whistling]

9. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Well we're certainly not in good seats..but not bad, the best of the not great I guess. ON the side bit, back section but 2nd row of it and as far to the circle as we could.

Hope your seats are great and you really enjoy it. Actually, if you don't like it, don't tell us:) I looked at Tapas too, and it looked cool, but not an extra 100 dollars a ticket cool.

10. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    We haven't done the high steaks yet!!

I'm in a steak mood tonight but that's too short notice...

Next Saturday night or Sunday lunch..anyone free and feeling like eating LOTS!

City Hogs Breath restaurant is closed currently it seems.

11. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    In a word, YES.

Speaking of pleasant lunches, we can do worse than the agreeable Sunday afternoon combination of mussels, chips and exotic ciders at the Belgian Beer Cafe.

12. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    I can't disagree with that; wiled away many a Happy Hour at the Belgium Beer Cafe during my more disreputable days. Also, it's name offends aliens, and that's always classy.

In other news, while some of you may be loath to consider this, the end of the year is rapidly approaching. As such, I'm planning to have a New Year's Eve Party at my place. In the past this has involved much talk, drink and music whilst we reminisce about the Year That Was.

I usually only provide the Venue and the Champagne, everything else is BYO with an eye to share. Even at my age, some Student Traditions shouldn't die :p

New Year's Eve is on a Wednesday this year, so take that into consideration.

More details closer to the date.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

13. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    I'm up in Noosa for saturday night, but if it's a sunday afternoon thing, count me in. :)

14. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Looked up the Belgium Beer cafe..did look a bit fancy/pricy for us.... and not much steak/

Another steakhouse central?

Morgs and Paul..was your idea to begin..any thoughts on venue and next weekend?

15. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Not sure K, all I know is that we've got my brother's 21st this Saturday - although Sunday lunch might be do-able. I'll see what the boy thinks, but I suspect he might be hankering for a day of not going anywhere or doing anything for a change. [face_thinking]

And I was wondering if anyone was planning any New Years shenannigans. Consider my interest registered, if nothing else.

While I'm posting, I thought I might mention (where I previously only added it to the general event list), Paul and I are planning on having a sort of casual, open house thingy on Christmas eve if anyone is free and wants to join us.

16. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Sadly, SSS BBQ Barn only does lunches on Fridays.

Hogs Breaths are in:
    Carindale Aspley Cleveland Logan
    Indooroopilly Victoria Point Redcliffe

Lone Star:
    Aspley Springwood Browns Plains

...hmm.
    Caxton has reputable steaks apparently. Menu in pdf. They're near Lang Park, kinda central?

How about Beach House? They're in the City, Stafford, Chermside and Garden City.

17. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    I don't have a car, so Beach House City would be best for me. Or Caxton St.

18. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Hey folks, due to general business and current broke-ness, Paul and I have decided we can't really afford to do High Steaks this weekend (although sad to miss out, look forward to the next one).

19. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Well we might opt out too, as know it was something you guys wanted to do. Another time it seems. Maybe we could make it a pre-Christmas thing...party..thing.

20. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Kahlan and I are off to see "Burn after reading" this afternoon at Chermside - 2:30-ish session. If keen, let us know if you're coming via sms so we can grab you a seat or meetup for beverages.

21. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    ..and it is almost Christmas, and we all still mostly enjoy each others company. As cynical and sad as we are, we should gather and celebrate Christmas..with not too much fuss.

I know Morgs and Scoff are doing the Chrissy Eve open to people thing. Should we do something else too?? Dinner out.. drinks somwhere? A Bar wars the Saturday night before Christmas? The Die hard Christmas gathering we've done..I'm always a fan of Scrooged.

Lets dive into our collective hardened older sci-fi hearts and pull out an idea for enjoying something that just says..Us.

No I'm not drunk..I'm attemtping to find some spirit! From somewhere other than the fridge.

22. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    The most logical "us" screening is technically the Star Wars Christmas Special. Let's put that thought away immediately.

I nominate A Muppet Christmas Carol, which has pop-culture geek appeal, a lot of laughs, and a genuinely heartwarming seasonal vibe. (A little bias there - it's probably one of my top five films, and a time-honoured Charlie Brownesque annual tradition for my family. But still.)

23. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    I would prefer it if in future the mere thought wouldn't even begin speculating into crossing anyone's mind here :p

Die Hard's good; I really must get a copy of the infamous sweater in that film! I'd also suggest Invader Zim's "The Most Horrible X-Mas Ever!", plus there's the two Futurama X-Mas Episodes.

I've been looking for a copy of Scrooged for 2-3 years now. Must ask Jacques if he's got a copy again...

There's also A Muppet Christmas Movie following the plot of It's A Wonderful Life with David Arquette as an Angel and Whoppi Goldberg as God. Or we could go classy and find a version of Patrick Stewart's A Christmas Carol :p

Then of course, finding a weekend we're all free...

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

24. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    I'm thinking we move the Christmas get-together to another thread. Matter of fact, I'll start it.

25. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Quantum of Solace on Friday evening, anyone?

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider