main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson "There is not much to see, I used to live here you know."

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by New York Jedi, Sep 18, 2006.

1. New York Jedi

New York Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 25, 1999
    Hello all,

Well after living 12 years in...can you guess by the name...New York, I've picked up and moved me and my wife and kids back to Tucson, and I'm looking for a little help from my fellow Star Wars fans.

I could use any/all info on employment and housing (for a family of 4). I've been doing the CarieerBilder thing, but thought I'd go to people I could trust better (i.e. Star Wars fans).

I have a strange back ground in employment (acting, paralegal, telecom IT) and am willing to work at just about anything that can pay the bills.

Anyway, any info would be great to help with the transition. Thanks all.

2. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Dude! Are you going to change your name from New York Jedi to Tucson Jedi? [face_laugh]

I just left Tucson but I wish you the best. Are you looking for a neighborhood with good schools? I can probably help you with that.

3. New York Jedi

Feb 25, 1999
    Jada, I don't think that Tucson Jedi has quite the same ring to it, so I'm probably gonna stick with NYJ :)

As for good schools, YEAH, any info would be great. A lot has changed in 12 years. I have a 4 year old so I'm looking at elementary schools now.

What sent you out to NC?

4. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    I got married and moved to my hubbie's part of the USA.

OK, I'm going to PM you some suggestions. :)

How about Coyote Jedi? :p

Sorry, I'm a [face_clown]

5. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    any idea on what price range you are searching for, and are you looking to buy or rent.. as expensive as I think it is to live here, with you being from NY probably everything around here will be a steal!!

I know if you are able to pass a tech test Sears is hiring in their repair technician area, starting pay is up there and they are in desperate need of techs I am told.

Nice to have you with us! [face_good_luck] [face_coffee] :)

6. New York Jedi

Feb 25, 1999
    Thanks Cat, where with Sears would I look for that job? What sort of tech are they looking for? Cuz if I can learn it I'll do it.

As for living, we're looking to buy, but will rent for the interum. I trying not to spend more than 1K per while renting.

I was also thinking of opening a small business in 'geek stuff' (i.e. comics, games, movies, ect.) does the East Side have a market for that sort of thing, or is the Tucson market flooded?

Jada, THANKS for the info you PM'ed me! I knew I'd find help here. My wife and I are looking into the spots you mentioned, to quoet Scarlet O'hara "I've always counted on the kindness of strangers."

I can't tell you what a help it is to have you all pitch in your two cents, keep them comming.

PS: Where can I attach myself to the Tucson Star Wars scene, I'm still getting setteled by when I do I'm there.

7. firstsonofsolo

firstsonofsolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2006
    We have monthly meetings around and about town.

With a family of 4 wether you are looking for a 3 bedroom or 4 will run anywhere from 800-1200 a month in rent. There are quite a few nice 3 and 4 bedroom homes that are in the 175-200 range but if you want to be in a "nicer" area you are looking at as much as 300 for a home.

Tucson is on its way to being a buyers market for homes as we are just coming down from a major boom. I know these things mostly because my wife and I are looking at homes ourselves!

Lastly welcome back to Tucson! Alot has changed here and alot of things are the same. the east side does have a comic shop and a few gaming shops but Fantasy comics is down to 1 store, Things for Thinkers is closed and Comic zone is gone.............those were popular when you were here last! Oh and the indoor swapmeet is gone too!

-Chris

8. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Hey man, I remember you from the forums since you are truly an oldbie. ;) I just can't keep myself to one account. [face_laugh] Although I am now. ;)

As for strangers, we are Star Wars fans. That means we are family. :D

And yes, the real estate market is well on its way to being a buyer's market. [face_plain] My old house is STILL on the market and not budging. [face_plain]

Anyone want to spend $375 on a 4 bedroom/1 den/2 bathroom/beautifully landscaped house in Oro Valley? :p ;)

9. New York Jedi

Feb 25, 1999
    Thank you, thank you, thank you all! All info is helpful. A lot has changed since I lived here last, but I guess I've changed a lot too :)

Any and all employment leads are greatly appricated. If I don't know how to do it, I can learn. What are some of the largest companies out here now. I know Raytheon is one of them...what are some of the others?

10. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    Yes, I'll second that request... anyone know of a place looking for a cert. PC tech?

11. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I see I'm not the only job hunter around here. I'm looking for a mortgage loan funder position. So far they all seem to be in Phoenix. :(

12. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Welcome to hottest place without two suns! Wel, my neighbors are selling their home, 3 bed 2 bath in a quiet cul de sac. Personally, avoid Midtown, or anywhere in the city limits. PM me if you are looking at an area and Ill give you the crime stats.

13. thatsMISTERwookiee

thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2005

That quote is not from Scarlett O'Hara, or "Gone With The Wind".
    However, the actress Vivian Leigh did play both Scarlett O'Hara and Blanche DuBwah(phonitic spelling, bloody French:D,right, Kat? ), a character from "A Streetcar Named Desire". Blanche's tagline is, "I've always relied/counted on the kindness of strangers."

the "Movie Geek" Wookiee

14. New York Jedi

Feb 25, 1999
    Sorry about the movie mis-quote, but the sentiment was the same. I guess if the movie doesn't begin "A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away..." I get turned around.

But that doesn't change the fact that I loving any/all help to assimilate my family from NYC to Tucson. Cuz if I have to stay with my folks more than 2 weeks, I just might make the evening news :)

15. JediObiKat

JediObiKat Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 15, 2006
    That would be DuBois...[face_talk_hand]

Welcome back to Tucson, New York Jedi!