main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Theres a World in my Closet!!! Chronicles of Narnia Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by NightHunter319, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I read The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe when I was in 3rd grade and I totally loved it. But it wasn't until the movie came out that I decided to try and read the rest of the books. I've no read The Magician's Nephew and I'm working on The Horse and his Boy now. I'm finding that the more I read it, the more I'm enjoy it. I can't wait until I finally finish them.

2. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Overhyped like LOTR. Must be something to do with books 50yrs old, I don't know . . . I've read Caspian and Dawn Treader, but so long ago I cannot assess its attributes. The lion really doesn't stir anything within me, and I don't see how they outshine any other coming of age and trial books. It's basically just an alternate world with Disney-class toons for kids. And thus, in essence, no different to modern contemporaries.

I liked The Time Traveller. Didn't understand a technical word as a kid myself. It's quite boring, but it had a good horror scene at the end, the mad scramble to escape in the dark, hands grabbing all over you, your heart pounding without that measely match. I admire the elaborate prose.

I seem to have lost my Dracula book, the first time I've ever lost a book, so unless I find it I can't finish it and compare the prose to other pre-century material.

3. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    I enjoyed all the Narnia books. They're good light reading, brilliant for children yet recommandable to people of all ages.

(Did everyone enjoy the film of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe? I feel that it was better than the book in various respects.)

4. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Caspian was one of the better books, where everything is turned upside down from what the kids remembered. They were just folklore legends in the past. I didn't see much point in the Dawn Treader, but I remembered liking the former. The Telmarians even went back to their own pirate island.

5. Rexus

Rexus Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2005
    I just read the first book - "The Magician's Nephew" and I feel hooked. I'm glad that I listened to everyone who said that the books are recomended for all ages because I would have missed a must to read series... :)

6. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    I read them all a couple years ago and absolutely loved them. I was really glad when this last Christmas I got the complete Chronicles of Narnia in one big volume, and in correct chronological order. I've read them all again, and all I can say is wow. Lewis was a genius, especially the way he wrote, as if he was telling a story to a small child and adding little side-notes about places, characters, and things, as if Narnia was a real place he had researched. I'm not sure which one is my favourite, although the last few, like The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and The Last Battle, left me in a dream-like state, what with all the wonderful images that had entered my head.

7. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I've read books 1-3 and am in the middle of Prince Caspian. I really am enjoying it while I read, but I look back and have to wonder if anything really happened.

8. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    I am reading these in "release order" as the set i had has them labeled 1-7 that way.
    So i just finished book 6, the magicians Nephew...and i loved it!

i dotn want to spoil it for anyone, but the way it explains things in The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe is fantastic!!
    all my life i wondered where the wadrobe came from!!!

See i never got past Treader, as i couldnt ever get into the silver chair as a kid (it is still my least favorite) so i had no idea what Horse and Boy, the Magicinas Nephew and last Battle were about.

Right now i am about 40 pages into the last battle and i love it already...cant wait to finish this up...
    i wonder how it is all going to end.

anyone want to discuss any book in detail, i am game...
    which one is your favorite and why?
    which "son or adam or daughter of eve" is your favorite and why?
    which narnian animal is your fav?

9. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    I'm reading Prince Caspian right now. I've just finished Lion, Witch & Wardrobe, Magician's Nephew, and A Horse and his Boy. I've really enjoyed them. The stories aren't epic, at least aside from LW&W, but they are fun with just enough innocense fantasy to appeal to any child. I can't wait until my daughter is old enough so I can read them to her.

I couldn't even have imagined doing that with LotR.

10. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    I love The Chronicles of Narnia! I own them all, and have recently read through them in chronological order--TMN through TLB. Two of my favorite characters are Kings Caspian and Tirian, although I'm beginning to enjoy Prince Rilian a lot as well. They're quick reads for me, but yet I find them so much deeper than I did as a little kid. Although I don't agree with some of the particular doctrines that are manifest in Lewis' work, I still love the imagery and the wonder that the stories bring to my mind. Fav animal? Jewel the Unicorn. I think that Puddleglum is quite hilarious. Has anyone else heard the rumor that Puddleglum was based on Lewis himself? I don't know if that's true or not, but interesting all the same.

11. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    Oh, i remeber my parents reading me TLTWATW and Prince Caspian.
    it will be great to read them to your kids. (i also agree, it woudl be much easier then trying to read them LOTR)

So i finished The Last Battle last night, which means i read The Magicians Nephew and The Last Battle in like 30 hours
    (obviously i slept and went to work as well)

I was LOVING the last battle, until the end. I was a little disappointed, or bewildered from the point Tirian enters the stable to the end of the story...

for so long, i had wondered what these last few were, as i never read past Treader as a kid (and i always thought the order went lion,witch wardrobe, p caspian, voyage of treader, silver chair, horse and boy, the magician, the last battle)

and now i finally know how narnia began and ended, and everything in between...

The series is wonderful, and is amazing for kids, as it is easy to read, but fun, and sometimes introspective for me as an adult.

My favorite character is Reepicheep.

12. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I read these books when i was little, but I've read thousands of books since then so i dont remember them. I should reread them sometime. I really enjoyed the movie. i thought peter was awesome, and of course the little girl.

13. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    Tracy the books are much different when you read them as an adult, IMO. I reread The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe a few years ago and was incredibly "struck" by it from an adult point of view.

14. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I didn't even consider Narnia until the trailer last May. Luckily I bought all seven boos. I'd have to say that LWW is just the most epic, making a good film. The other ones have their adventure as well don't get me wrong.

15. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I read all of them as a kid, and reread them after seeing the movie version of LLW. They're designed better for a younger audience, but are still good books later, although you realize how short some key scenes (like the battle at the end of LLW) really are. It makes the books very quick reads :p

I'd have to go with Prince Caspian as my favorite of the series.

16. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Besides younger audiences, you could also include those who embrace their childhood as adults. Tolkien and Lewis were quite methodical in creating a fantasy after WWII, just like we need the film versions of these as well as HP after the world we live in today.

To escape into a fantasy world is the ideal premise and if you can't embrace and enhance your imagination, I feel sorry for that person.

17. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    I just finished The Dawn Treader, and while I enjoyed it very much, I cannot say I'd recommend this book. I realize that the joy is in the journey and not the destination, but to be led to the doorstep of Aslan's Country and catch only a glimpse over the walls was disappointing. Then to have the story just end abruptly with all the character being sent home without a further word was a let down. It would be like Roland reaching the Dark Tower and never venturing inside for the culmination of his quest. It just feels wrong to me. This won't stop me, however, from reading the last two books. I still enjoyed this one and am looking forward to completing the story.

18. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Just finished with Magician's Nephew. Not as good as LWW, but still intersting to see where everyone and everything comes from. Not really action-based as I was expecting but still good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.