main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "If You Seek His Monument, Look Around You" - The Man of Steel and Announced Sequel Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Nov 9, 2006.

1. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    You know, I gotta agree with one of the previous posters. The way the storyline works in SR is that Superman was gone for 5 years. Reeve played the role of Superman at the same age in STM, however, there wasn't a 5-year backstory of when he knew Lois Lane and worked at the Daily Planet. The casting, and emphasis on realism when comparing the storyline and age of the cast members was poorly done.

and WB is wisely waiting for that to run out so they can try again with the franchise and do a better job.

Singer is part Hollywood, part "other". It's not that I don't like his movies, there are things in SR that keep my full attention, and are original, and well-done. However, it's not a perfect movie. STM was a perfect movie (despite the fact that it was made in 1978) - the story, the casting, the concepts...it was a 3 Act movie and it played so naturally. You're not going to see movies like that today because big Studios are apt to make those "Spidermans" and "X-Mens"...it's all about the mighty dollar sign..."you have to make it like such and such, etc"; pathetic. Spielgerg or even Lucas would have done a better job, though I STILL like SR - I hated the casting choices! And the script could have been better. It's just not a perfect "Donner" Superman movie.

Singer went way too much for the feel of the Spider-Man movies.

Here's wishing that there is a Director out there who would make a movie out of self-expression and not just to match what everything else is like today.

a story that managed to discard all the spirit of Donner's original while being incredibly derivative, and too much moodiness.

Routh was very moody, and yet, he could have been directed with much more PAZAZZ... put a little life into it why don't you. But it's the acting method; a style of acting chosen by Singer. And some of it I liked; it's acting without much movement, for example, after Routh gets hit with the bullets and the bullet bounces off his eye and lands on the ground, he gives a slight, cool smile. Method acting. Cool, eh? That worked very well in that particular scene.

2. darth-ermac

darth-ermac Jedi Master star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    Well, ISEB is saying that WB is still going forward with MOS. So it's not being shelved. And while Singer did capture the best of Donner, he also went in his own direction. Just as Donner kept the spirit of Superman without relying heavily on the comics.

3. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    G4's ticker just said that it will have a Kryponian villain that he met during his pilgrimage before Returns

4. erus_multus2

erus_multus2 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 11, 2005
    Brainiac!

5. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Jeremy Irons as Brainiac = Gold

6. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    I wish they had taken a version of Lex that was closer to Michael R?s portrayal in the TV series Smallville.

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    VoicesFromKrypton.com has published part 2 of the interview with Gregory Noveck, senior Vice President Creative Affairs for DC Comics, who, among other things, is the liaison between DC and Warner Bros.
    Noveck answers questions regarding the current status of the sequel to "Superman Returns" and "Justice League"...

Q: There are so many rumors on the Internet, including that Bryan Singer's Man of Steel is not happening. Is that film still on the table?
    A: Oh, yeah, absolutely.

Q: Well, the word is that it's been put on "indefinite hold" because of Justice League.

A: That's not true. The reason that Justice League is powering forward first is because the script came in and it was phenomenal.

Q: It's really that good?

A: It is, and that very rarely happens in Hollywood on a movie of this scale, and when it does you have no choice but to say, "We'd better catch lightning in a bottle and go!" All of a sudden, six months later, who knows what's going to happen? You want to hold on to those writers, you've got massive interest from directors, you land someone like George Miller, so you go. And in the middle of it all, you've got Bryan going off to make another movie, which was a passion project of his. When he comes back, we'll dive right in to Man of Steel. We're scripting and it's going to happen. We're not going to make it until the script is great, but we'll get there one way or the other and it's not going to take nine years.

8. Cellist

Cellist Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2003
    Awesome news, having confirmation that MOS is still going to happen.:D

9. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    Indeed. Though I personally never doubted MoS.

10. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I also assumed that this was a given, but official confirmation is always nice.

11. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    I doubt it..and still do.

Not until I get a confirmation from Warner Bros..they are the ones holding things up...cause they are footing the bill..and don't want to lose money like they did on SR.

Course, they are not saying that it's their fault; over 10 years of rewrites, production, stupid pay or play clauses...there was no way that SR was ever gonna be in the black.

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Actually, Singer is holding things up as he's filming "The Valkryie" (sp) and the upcoming WGA strike at the end of the month is what's holding things up.

13. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    SUPERMAN RETURNS WRITERS ARE OUT OF THE SEQUEL

Superman needs some ideas for what his next adventure might be.

"Superman Returns" scribes Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris have opted not to come back and pen a sequel to the 2006 summer pic that would have reunited them with helmer Bryan Singer. The three also worked together on "X2: X-Men United."

As a result, WB is now taking pitches for Supe's next outing from other scribes -- just as the studio is trying to figure out which actor will don the character's tights in "Justice League."

Industry chatter claimed the studio would start fresh with a new take on the Man of Steel, as if the previous pic never happened.

Reasons mentioned were the introduction of Superman's son with Lois Lane, as well as the film's less-than-expected domestic haul of $200 million and another $191 million overseas.

Marvel Studios is adopting that let's-try-again strategy with "The Hulk" at Universal, hoping a new pic, starring Edward Norton, will launch a franchise that Ang Lee's 2003 actioner failed to do.

But WB denies such plans and said next pic would be a sequel with Brandon Routh likely to wear the "S" on his chest again. Legendary Pictures is co-developing and co-financing the project.

New pic also will up the action quotient, however -- something Singer promised fanboys at last year's Comic-Con in San Diego.

Dougherty and Harris are pursuing more directing gigs, with Dougherty having recently completed "Trick 'R Treat" at WB as his first pic. He's also looking to pen a graphic novel and children's book.

Harris, who had previously helmed "Imaginary Heroes," is writing and directing "I, Lucifer," based on the book, with Daniel Craig attached to star.

VARIETY.COM

14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I'm just hoping that the next Superman flick could move past Lex Luthor. I'd like the franchise to move towards a final confrontation with Doomsday, where Superman does die.
    With the final shot of Superman dead in Lois' arms and the fade to black.
    [image=http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/4108/deathofsupermanph9.jpg]

No funerals, no montage, just the end. And then no Superman flicks for 9 years.

15. Darth_Sabith

Darth_Sabith Jedi Master star 4

Oct 17, 2006
    I agree about the death of superman story but it'd be better to have it be the 3rd of these new ones. Maybe have doomsday appeare at the end of the credits type thing and have sups battle brainiac, Metallo, or Bazorro.

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    While this is an interesting bit of news, we'll have to see if this will affect Singer's plans or not. At present, Lex is still involved along with another villian.

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think they'd work towards a Doomsday/Death of Superman arc now- that was my only real problem with Superman Returns, it basicly did the Death of Superman in spirit, so anything more would be redundant.

18. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    Getting new writers can only be a good thing, after the borefest of Returns. Its just to bad they didn't decide to ignore it and pretend it didn't happen.

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Even if they stayed on, the action content is going to be upped.

20. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001

21. Cellist

Cellist Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2003
    "Superman for the 21st century"...that has me worried.

22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    You're not the only one.

[image=http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/1733/001axh7.gif] [image=http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/7050/001ls3.jpg]

[face_worried]

From reading the posts here, most fans want Superman to move away from Lex Luthor and towards his other nemesis. I mean, people have seen Superman vs. Joe Criminal so many times on the silver screen, it's time the story arcs of the comic books come to life.

I would like to see Superman tested and challenged against a figure that is more his equal and not against some smart guy with a pocketful of kryptonite.

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It'd never happen. Not just the energy costume and powers, which wasn't all that bad of an idea, just poorly executed during the second half of the arc. But rather, it'd probably be what he wanted to do when he was set to write one of the books back in 1999, before a falling out with DC prevented it.

24. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001

25. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    That's because Christopher Reeve's performance and those of everybody he starred with was on a different plateau to Brandon Routh's and those of his co-stars. As was Reeve's physicality, his costume, the writing, the music, the effects . . .