main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

London, ON Thoughts are with AT60

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Wolf, Aug 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Tonight as you read Chris and Erin have been evacuated from their houses with hundreds of other people because of the forest fires.

Hopefully your house will be ok, and i hope for a quick extinguish to this fire so you and Erin can return home safetly!

2. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    oh gosh!

Hope things get better there Chris!!

3. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    Wow! That's awful :( Thanks for letting us know, Matt. Hopefully it's over soon.

4. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    My prayers are with the them and all the folks out there...

5. Rabellaka

Rabellaka Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    Wow, I never thought the fire would be in the same area as somone I knew. I hope Chris and Erin do ok.

6. SarahSkywalker

SarahSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 24, 2002
    MTFBWY.
    I didn't know they'd moved back.
    Where exactly are these fires?

7. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Hey guys Chris just gave me an update and if you copy the links down below you can see that his house is still standing although a good friend of his did loose his house.

http://www.geocities.com/admiral_thrawn60/firemap3.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/admiral_thrawn60/firemap4.JPG

8. Rabellaka

Nov 20, 2002
    Any news from Kelowna? Last I heard, the house two down from Chris' was gone. The news said that the weather was helping a bit today, but I've been worrying about Chris and Erin today.

9. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    From the news reports that I have seen in the last 24 hours things are not looking good at all...

10. sw-starwarsfreakness

sw-starwarsfreakness Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003

I hope everyone is alright. The loose of a house is incredibly hard to deal with, let alone your loved ones if the case may be.

My thoughts go out to you guys.

11. SarahSkywalker

Sep 24, 2002
    That is way too close. What a huge fire region! The poor people :(

12. Mussolini_

Mussolini_ Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2001
    I hear things are better there. Last I heard, many of the 16,000 people evacuated were allowed back today, but they're still on evacuation alert. The fire has spread to the east, threatening Gallagher's Canyon. There are homes there, but at least the Okaview areas are safe for the time being.

I'm sure he who was affected, if he were allowed to post here, would say "thank you everyone for your well wishes and kind words during these hard times." I'm sure Erin is fine. They probably havn't seen the house yet but I'll bet they're looking forward to being allowed back by the weekend. I'll bet he's planning on making an insurance claim because the house is likely to have scorch marks, water damage, and the smell of smoke will never leave the carpet.

What am I doing? I'm just testing out the markup codes. ;)

13. Rabellaka

Nov 20, 2002
  14. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    Hopefully we will get some news from Chris in the coming days...

15. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    I hope her still has a house...it will be hard to drop by an see him when Debby and I are our west and there is no house to go to.

16. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    Spoke to AT60 tonight, and they are moving back into their house tomorrow :) I hope that everything goes well. ((((((((()))))))))

17. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003

Thank goodness that they wern't hurt.. that's all I have to say.

18. SarahSkywalker

Sep 24, 2002
    That's...good news.

19. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Yay!

Great news! :)

20. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003
    Great news? That's spectacular news! :p

21. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    I am so happy to hear this news...

22. Rabellaka

Nov 20, 2002
    That's really good news. Chris was saying how he lives in the middle of a burned out forrest, but a forrest grows back, People are harder to replace. I'm glad he's safe.

23. Mussolini_

May 27, 2001
    Quick rundown on Chris's situation:

-Allowed to return but remains on evacuation alert.
    -Went home briefly but left again because the area is not safe.
    -3/4 trees on his property are burned and could collapse at any minute. Hot spots burning underground in their root systems can also flare up without warning.
    -Much of lawn is scorched black. The rest is brown.
    -Credits sprinkler on roof with saving home.
    -Feels happy that home survived but also feels guilty for feeling happy because he knows many people who weren't so lucky. Not all of them had insurance, as well.
    -Walking through the neighbourhood is a pretty depressing experience. It looks like a war zone. Entire streets are levelled. The entire neighbourhood was out in the streets hugging and crying.
    -The fire flared up last night but it's in the Myra Canyon area. It's one of Chris's favourite hiking destinations but there are no homes up there.
    -As of Aug 30, the fire was 21,000 hectares in size. That's 210 square kilometers. Over 600 firefighters are fighting the fire. About half of those are military personelle.
    -Chris and Erin, as well as his mother and sister who live upstairs, are all safe and in good health.
    -They're confident that they'll be back home before the baby (due Sept 23) is born.
    -A few pathetic excuses for human beings have broken into 9 of the evacuated houses and ransacked and looted them. Chris's house is not one of them.

This is not a direct quote from Chris. That would be against the rules, and we all know I would never do that. ;)

EDIT:

Had insurance adjuster over today. Claimed for:
    -Several small burn marks in deck from airborne hot embers
    -Spoiled food in freezer and fridge due to power loss
    -Restoration company to come and get rid of smell of smoke that currently renders house uninhabitable even if not for the safety hazards.

24. Mussolini_

May 27, 2001
    Had first day of university today. Lots of hot chicks. School-sanctioned party called "Big **** party" at the university pub on Friday. Cheap drinks for women only between 8-9 and then cheap drinks for everyone between 9-10. Sounds like a lot of fun, if you know what I mean. Hottest @$$ contest as well. Erin says Chris can't go. Chris sad.

German course much more basic than anticipated. Covered "Ich heiße Chris." Quite optimistic about chances of getting a good grade. //understatement of the year

Also had Chemistry. Covered significant figures. First learned those in accelerated Science, grade 10.

Finally, had world history. 5 page report on Nazi Germany worth 30% of grade. Should be able to do it in a day without research.

This makes high school seem hard.

As for the fire, it's grown to 26,000 hectares (260 square km) but it's still not threatening homes. The Myra Canyon hiking trail, one of Chris's favourite hiking/biking trails over old railroad tressles, is gone. Expect to move back in next week. Made a sign reading "KFD saved our home. Thank you!" and put it out front. KFD = Kelowna Fire Department. Had ash falling from the sky again today as far away as the campus. Erin in good health. Just 20 days to go. Will keep you updated.

25. SarahSkywalker

Sep 24, 2002
    I can't believe she's due so soon! I thought it was a lot farther off. Is Erin doing anything there or is she just going to be with the baby? How are they supporting themselves, mom helping out? That's going to be a big change for them! I hope the smoke isn't bothering the baby.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.