main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Thread Cap in JCC

Discussion in 'Communications' started by farraday, Mar 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Well here we go.
    In the past four days there has been discussion in both modsquad and the advisory council on if a 5k thread cap should be installed in the JCC.
    Actually, I use the term discussion loosely, there have been many who agree, none who've objected, and only one who has raised reservations.
    Nonetheless, being the fair kind and loving mod that I am, (quiet in the peanut gallery!) I'm starting this here so some of the more militant of you can get your objections off your chest before threads start being locked.
    Note: Current threads will not be locked immediately. Members and the like will have a week to get their affairs in order and start up a new thread, before the closure of the thread larger then 5k happens.

Please feel free to air your opinions here, in a matter not contradictory with the TOS of course.

2. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    How about we limit idiots from starting 4-15 worthless threads per week?

3. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Well PB I'd be glad to set up a committe to define 'idiots' and 'worthless', but please remember it was your idea if they find you fall under either catagory. ;)

4. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    I've got a list of "idiots" that cause the bulk of the problem. There are two names on this list. Anyone want to take a guess?

5. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Hahaha.

Anyway, so what are the reasons for this decision?

6. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    Good threads are being pruned because the majority of the forum is full of $#@&!

7. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Well if I may just recap the main points?

1. With a thread cap, old posts would be pruned. Instead of a 7k thread there would be a 2k thread with 5k previous posts falling back towards eventual pruning.
    2.Longer threads have more glitches. Refusing to 'up' that page error at the start of a new page. The entire problems with the early pages of the PSA social thread. Starting a new thread would generally eliminate these until the thread once again grew ungainly.
    3. With a thread cap there might be a decresed tendency to post just to increase the size of the thread. If all threads get closed arounf 5k then congratulating yourselves for reaching 4k might not seem as a big a deal.
    4. Once a thread gets to large, it's members have a tendency to up it with posts saying things like "come on we can't let this thing die!" Obviously this is rather silly, especially once you get 10 or 12 ups like that a page. With a thread cap they might be less willing to up a thread that would just be locked anyways once it hit the cap.

8. Jedi-Corleone

Jedi-Corleone Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    I think the JCC just has a broader spectrum of posters than most. Stop Simone posting threads, there's a quick fix.

9. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    [image=http://www.ciadvertising.org/student_account/fall_00/adv382j/christiana/theory/photos/bud.gif]

10. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I think both a cap on number of replies and a cap on number of threads users can post would be a good idea.

11. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Bring back Chyren to moderate Community.

Let him scare about half of the posters away and your problem is solved. [face_mischief] :D

12. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    farraday,

Can I point out the obvious breach of logic in the proposed operational aspects of thread pruning. We know the following statements which you've stated to be true:
      1. With a thread cap, old posts would be pruned. Instead of a 7k thread there would be a 2k thread with 5k previous posts falling back towards eventual pruning.
    Okay. Now take that with the other proven behavior of the regular JCC poster...
      4. Once a thread gets to large, it's members have a tendency to up it with posts saying things like "come on we can't let this thing die!" Obviously this is rather silly, especially once you get 10 or 12 ups like that a page. With a thread cap they might be less willing to up a thread that would just be locked anyways once it hit the cap.
    And we get the end result being the most likely highest quality portions of threads (the intro, initial discussion, etc.) is going to get whacked only to leave 2k's of "Up," "I remember this," and other nonsense.

Any way to prune the latest ones first? I guess with JCC it's hit or miss anyway. How about settle for some random algorithm which can prune it from the beginning, end or even the middle depending on what the computer feels like that day.

13. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    I agree with the 5k post limit per thread, at least to some extent. It'll really cut down on the forum's size and prevent spamming marginally, but what good does it do against hard-core trolls, spammers, and just plain morons?

Answer me this, too:

How is this going to be enforced? When a thread hits 5,000 posts will it be automatically locked or will a moderator do it manually?

14. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Manually.

As far as i know it would require a change of code to do it automatically and we all know how likely that is.

15. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY! NOT LIKELY!

16. Jedi Greg Maddux

Aug 3, 1999
    In that case, all I can say is that you have your work cut out for you!

17. jedi-mind-trick

jedi-mind-trick VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 6, 2001
    As long as users are allowed open an new version of their thread (if desired) once the old is locked, then I highly support this policy, as it sounds like it is in the best interests for everyone.

Furthermore, I don't think that the JCC mods/managers should have to go around policing threads. If you are a author/regular poster in a thread that is getting large, you should take the responsibility on yourself to make sure that 1. the other posters are informed about the upcoming thread change, 2. the new thread is opened, and 3. an admin is contacted so the old thread is locked.

18. selina

selina Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 22, 2001
    I agree with Dark Lady Maul and Jedi Mind Tricks

19. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Thread Cap in JCC
    only in JCC, yes?

20. Endermunkee

Endermunkee Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    If a large thread is not a chat thread, and was started to talk about a certain topic, the conversation is still going on that topic, and has not yet degenerated into "Hello" and "Is anyone here" posts, will their posts still be pruned?

21. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Note I don't mean I will delete the previous posts immediately upon closing of the thread, instead, like any other thread, they will continue to slide back in the pages until they are pruned like every other thread.

22. selina

selina Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 22, 2001
    farraday:

May I ask you 1 question?

What does pruned mean?

23. Jedi Greg Maddux

Aug 3, 1999
    Pruning is the permanent removal of a topic or topics from the Jedi Council, usually to conserve server space.

Usually these topics are the oldest and have not been frequented for quite some time. Pruning takes place once every few months and sometimes private messages are pruned too, although this has only happened once.

24. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    "As long as users are allowed open an new version of their thread (if desired) once the old is locked,"

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the policy? You might as well let the original thread go on if users are just going to start another topic with the exact same chat... I mean subject.

I think the 5K limit is a top idea. Hell, 1K is plenty enough usually anyway.

25. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Wedge, the idea is not to limit the threads, but to limit the size.

For example, a group with a 7k thread right now has all seven thousand posts taking up space. However under the new policy two thousand of the posts would be in the new thread as five thousand of them started the long road to eventual pruning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.