main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tokyo/Yokohama Fan Film

Discussion in 'Archive: Japan' started by Harrier, Apr 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harrier

Harrier Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2005
    Greetings,

I'm in the process of putting together a screenplay for a STWS fan film in the Tokyo/ Yokohama area. I was wondering if there were any CG artists, fan clubs with props/costumes, or other talent (acting, camerawork etc) in this area that may be interested in joining this type of project.
    I have access to camera's and basic editing equipment but do not have the expertise (or software) for the great effects featured in many of the high end films.

Please let me know if there is interest out there. Thanks.

Harrier

2. Harrier

Harrier Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2005
    There are several great shooting locals in the south Tokyo/ Yokohama area. Very Couruscant-esque buildings (Landmark Tower in Yokohama) not to mention many beautiful parks for Dagobah or Yavin-4 type settings. The fan film script I'm working on calls for urban back alleyways. The are some good non descript ones in Chinatown....

Oh well, just food for thought....

3. Chris_in_Japan

Chris_in_Japan Jedi Youngling

May 9, 2005
    Harrier, Nice to meet a fellow Star Wars fan !! Well I have the software on my macintosh and i can do alittle CG and well Im interested !!

All we need is a studio with a green/blue screen....by the way, I live in Kanagawa.....

Post and I'll get back to you

4. Harrier

Harrier Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2005
    Chris,

Great to here from you! I'm in Kanagawa as well, Yokosuka specifically. CG capability is just what the doctor ordered. I have access to a small studio and a Sony DV camera. All that would be required is getting a hold of some green or blue (lots) poster board or paper.
    Are you familiar with rotoscoping? There are some scenes that call for lightsabre duels, but no real large scale star ship battles. Just a Star Destroyer here, a planet there... The outdoors in this area is the ticket. I'm sure you are familiar with great parks and other interesting locals in Kanagawa (Hakone!!). Plus Yokohama has great futuristic buildings.
    I got a few other's that have express interest as well, so I'm attempting to scale the storyline accordingly. In a nutshell, the story is set approximately 5 years prior to ANH, Jedi are either dead or underground. Main characters are a failed Jedi seeking refuge, an overzealous brash Rebel Pilot, a young female school teacher in the wrong place at the wrong time, and a disillusioned Imperial Admiral. Now that being said, costuming may be an issue, especially with the Imperial Naval uniform (presently looking for patterns). There is also a need for a few stormtroopers. I was hoping there was a SW fan club in Tokyo that I may be able to enlist but there doesn't seem to be. Any thoughts or contacts? Maybe I could borrow armor from the 501st, yeah right... Well, I'll keep plugging. Please let me know if you have any suggestion or ideas. I'm in the process of cleaning up the script an having a friend do some storyboards. If interest grows I'm hoping to start filming in late June (hope to avoid the rain).
    Once again, thanks for replying. I hope we get a chance to work together on this.

Respectfully,

Harrier

5. Chris_in_Japan

May 9, 2005
    If we go to the Japanese version of star wars.com - maybe you can find Japanese Fans...http://www.starwarsjapan.com/ ???? There are some fan clubs in Tokyo - I'll email some long lost friends....

With the stormtrooper uniforms - How about trying CG based ones ????
    I'll have to do some research but I think that we could do it....The studio is a great idea !

If you want to avoid the rain - Late August/early Sept is the best time - long days and good sunlight !

Well - Monday and Tuesday are my days off, How about you ???

6. Harrier

Harrier Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2005
    CG stormtroopers! Outstanding! I've seen them featured in a few of the posted fan films, to include folks using "duplicates" (one or two guys copied several times(Knightquest). I have to admit, the CG technical realm is a bit beyond me, but I'm sure there's information available. I'll check out the SW Japan web site as well to see what's out there.

I'm pretty much on bankers hours with Saturday and Sunday off. Perhaps we could plan a meeting for an evening on one of your days off.

I hear what you are saying about late August/ early September... That good, more pre production time!

7. Chris_in_Japan

May 9, 2005
    How long are you going to be in Japan ??? If you are going to be here for along time - I'd like to do it right ! Stryboards and lots of planning....I liked the special effects that revelations (the new fan film) had but the story just didn't work out......

8. Harrier

Harrier Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2005
    I agree about Revelations. I followed Shane Felux's progress from the beginning. Great special effects, great production/ direction effort/ tenatious passion, most impressive, but the story was a bit flat.
    I'll be here another year and a half, and would like to do justice to a solid production all around. What kind of time line do you have in mind?

9. Chris_in_Japan

May 9, 2005
    At least - 6 months planning then 6 months shooting the film then 6 months in post production.....

10. FanInJapan

FanInJapan Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2005
    Hi Harrier,

Do you happen to be on the military base in Yokosuka? Just curious.

FanInJapan

11. Harrier

Harrier Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2005
    18 months is certainly doable. With a dedicated group we could certainly cut the time down, but I think your estimate is more realistic. although I hope to reduce it if possible. Speaking with Nick Hallum (Broken Allegiance) filming only took about 2 months (if memory serves). But again he had a dedicated cast and crew. The initial story doesn't call for major set or prop construction. But designing and obtaining costumes will certainly be a lengthy prospect. I did some searching in the Shibuya/Harajuka area from costume shops, found a great STWRS collectibles store call "Blister," but no costumes of use outside of the gothic/puck scene. Not even any Power Rangers type stuff.
    I know the CG side can be tedious as well...
    I've got a producer on board. A staff member of the small studio I mentioned. Her participation would basically be studio and editing access. She also may have contacts for talent, lighting and sound. I'll keep you posted. Take it easy- Harrier.

12. Harrier

Harrier Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2005
    FanInJapan,

I'm not to far away from the base.
    Are you interested in working on a Fan Film?

-Harrier

13. Harrier

Harrier Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2005
    Chris,

Just checking in. I've managed to get another friend on board for the project. He's going to work props and some story boarding. It looks like your assessment of a 6 month pre-production is coming to pass...

With your CG software can you make 3D models for Star Destroyers, a Y-Wing Longprobe fighter, X-Wing fighters, Tie Fighters and a Rebel Blockade Runner?
    Are you familiar with rotoscoping?

Cheers,

Harrier

14. Chris_in_Japan

May 9, 2005
    I could try !! yes, i could do the lightsaber effects too....

15. Harrier

Harrier Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2005
    GREAT!

I've finalized a meeting with a potential producer/ editor for tomorrow to give the big pitch. She's very nice and seems genuinely interested in helping out. I'll also be able to assess what the studio has to offer. I don't think the have green/blue screens, but its nothing a few sheets of posterboard can't cover. Once this portion is locked down, then come the search for talent. Know any folks with acting experience? Not to be sexist, but the main character calls for an attractive young lady. Well we'll see...
    By the way, I'm awaiting delivery of a Supreme Edition Darth Vader Costume (also have a 6'6" friend to play the part). I know there has been much talk, pros and cons, mostly cons in regard to this costume. Since I don't plan to enter into any contests it should suit my purposes (halloween parties, weddings, Bar Mitzfas' etc). It looks cool to me.
    Anyway, hopefully this meeting will go well. Be careful during the big Typhoon!
    Later,
    Harrier

16. Harrier

Harrier Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2005
    Chris,

You still out there?

Harrier

17. Jandekian_Overlord

Jandekian_Overlord Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2005
    A small inquiry...exactly how many of you are actual Japanese natives?

18. Harrier

Harrier Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2005
    Why do you ask?
    Are you interested in working on a fan film?

19. Jandekian_Overlord

Jandekian_Overlord Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2005
    I wish I were qualified, but unfortunately I've never had experience in making any kind of film. I'm located in the U.S., by the way.

Oh, and before I go, it was nothing more than curiosity, that's all.

Sorry! [face_peace]

20. anakinpepe

anakinpepe Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2005
    hi
    my friends from japan, i am from chile
    and i want invited you visited this page.is the first fanfilm in chile and you can see very soon.

www.renacimientofilm.com

21. DARTH_SHADOW_

DARTH_SHADOW_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2004
    I WATCHED THE TRAILER, AND... mmmmmmm......

...I DIDN'T UNDESTAND THE LOCUTION, HAS TOO MUCH REVERVERANCE.

I DON'T LIKE THE NAME OF THE MOVIE "RENACIMIENTO"...

IT BRINGS TO MY MEMORY THE "DAVID" OF MICHELANGELO XD.

AND THE NAMES OF THE CHARACTERS ARE TOO UGLY!!!

SORRY, BUT IT'S MY OPINION[face_peace]

22. Darth_Jubei

Darth_Jubei Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2004
    Don´t worry about it!

This film is awesome and well done it!
    Because I play as a Extra in this film..I was a soldier of Fondor who fight against the evil empire.Yeaah that is a contradiction because my name is Darth Jubei..well the way of the force are strange.

So watch up for the great movie and see me ..I´m the soldier who die with a blaster in the chest and say..the wonderfull sound of "Wilhelm".

23. sairack

sairack Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 29, 2005
    hola soy Sairack un multifan de Alianza Rebelde, les saluda de aqui de chile, que les vaya bien en su fan film.

:maul: ja ja ja ja viva Japon ja ja ja ja

24. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    How is the film going? Originally I didn't post because I didn't think I could offer much to the film but now I have a flash new PC that's good for editing and FX work (I have a fair amount of experience in editing). I was also a comic book artist in Australia so I can do concept art, storyboards and script-doctoring.

I've always wanted to give acting a try to if you need any help on that side. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.