main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Torture in Fics (please read)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Gandalf the Grey, Sep 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    I realize it's hard for some people to restrain themselves from making remarks that other people will find insulting. But let's face it: ANYTHING can be taken as an insult.

That's why I want to prohibit any personal comments -- nothing like "people who write torture fics must be ____ " or "I write torture fics to ____ " It just doesn't matter why the fics are written when it comes to deciding what levels are acceptable.

The reason I don't want to close the thread is that I want the people involved in reading and writing these stories to have a voice in it, to help us sort out what is in these fics as they exist and what might be over the line, and to come to some kind of consensus with those who are uncomfortable with it.

2. JazzyJedi

JazzyJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 7, 2000
  3. Jenn-Kenobi

Jenn-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 3, 2001
    I think alot of us like some sort of torture or harm to fall on a person in a fanfic, book, movie, etc. How far it should go, everyone has there opion on that. But I think for this site or something, that if there is alot of torture and harsh at that, at least for the younger ones * I am not saying 13 or 14 year olds * But I think it could be PG or PG 13 *right?* if it says and at you say there is torture in it. Am I right on this?

I think a good plot with torture is fine. Just torture and nothing with it? No. Like for one thing, I have a story in mind to write, it has a fairly good plot *I think* but it has this gaphic torture scene planned so I don't think it would do, so I will not post it here, when or if it is written.

So my question is, with this story, can I send it to someone, one the modantors maybe, before putting in on fanficion stories, so I don't get people mad with the the gaphic scene?

4. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Can't you just rework the description to make it less graphic? Running it by a beta reader, in any event, is always a good idea...

5. imzadi

imzadi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2000
    About the link JazzyJedi posted. Someone banned "Where's Waldo?" :eek:

It just goes to show that people have different views. However, movies and such do have specific criteria for ratings. The difficulty with fanfiction is that there is no rating system for books, so there is nothing to compare it to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.