main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Trisha Biggar book "Dressing a Galaxy: the Costumes of Star Wars"

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Woofer, Mar 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Man_from_Naboo

Man_from_Naboo Jedi Master star 1

Apr 18, 2004
    Okay, since I am a bit paranoid about my stuff (damn MIB-sickness ;) ), I had the book propped between two other books, so that it opened not to a full 180 degrees, but to approximately 130 degrees. IMO this really doesn´t put too much stress on the spine.

In addition to that, I only flip through the book with white cotton gloves. And guess what ? I looked at the Tusken Raider pics, and they used the same or at least very similar votton gloves on that costume :lol

Anyway, I really can feel the pain of the people who´s books are starting to fall apart, and I am really p.o.`ed that this is happening. Anyone starting a petition that can be sent over to the publisher ?

Michael

2. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    I'm going to contact the publisher too. It can't hurt to at least make them aware that it's happening. It might not do us any good, but maybe they'll think about that next time they do a larger book.

The book is so nice, it's just very disappointing this is happening.

3. PrincessOfTheed

PrincessOfTheed Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2004
    yeah exactly, it can't hurt to cantact them.....
    hm...now i just need to find an address to write to....does anyone have the publisher's adress?

I checked in the front of the book, and there was this adress:

Harry N. Abrams, Inc.
    100 Fith Avenue
    New York, NY. 10011

would that be the adress I should write too?

4. SWCostumer

SWCostumer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 31, 2005
    The address in the book is the same as on their web site. There is also a contact page on their web site where you could also write. The web address is: www.hnabooks.com

5. ewok78

ewok78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2005
    Some pages of my book are starting to fall too.
    Should i write or send an email ?

6. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    sorry....I didn't get any Zam either...
    and....I have only had my book out a couple times....and so far....nothing has fallen out...but it wouldn't surprise me with all of the "extra" stuff that got crammed into the Special Edition...
    bummer.... I am sure mine will fall apart as well...

7. PrincessOfTheed

PrincessOfTheed Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2004

thanks for the info!

8. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Is anyone still holding up to the hope that Amazon.Ca will fulfil your order?

I checked with Kinokuniya and Borders here and both can't order the LE book for me while Kino only ordered 1 of the regular version and sold out by the time I check it out. :(

Wonder if I am going to order it from Sideshow instead (ya, IF they still have stock!)

9. ewok78

ewok78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2005
    Email send !

10. jjmaclean

jjmaclean Jedi Youngling

Feb 11, 2005
    I was wondering about that as well. I have an order placed at Amazon.ca (for a great price only 200CAD a discount due to a prior billing problem!) and last time I spoke with them, I was told that they had secured copies for all of their orders.

I am inclined to believe them, as Chapters.Indigo.ca (Canada's major bookseller) has them instock for 268.00 CAD shipping in 24 hours. So if they are able to get them, and presumably the book only has one Canadian Distributor, Amazon.ca should be able fufill their orders.

Only time will tell.

JJ MacLean

P.S. For anyone else who ordered from Amazon.ca when were your orders scheduled to ship? My was supposed to go out today (January 9th, 2006) but it is no longer business hours in the east so I don't think it will make it today :( )

11. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    I pre-ordered from amazon.ca and am still waiting. I'm not holding my breath or anything. I just couldn't be bothered to cancel the order...if they fill it, great. If they don't, I've got money to spend on something else.

Edit: Here's my shpping date....yes, laugh all you want, it was never changed.
    Items not yet shipped: Delivery estimate: Oct 4 2005 1 of: Dressing a Galaxy: The Costume of Star Wars

12. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    quote=Darth_Eagle]Wonder if I am going to order it from Sideshow instead (ya, IF they still have stock!)[/quote]

There are still Limited Edition Autographed Book books at SideShow http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=starwars_scifi&item=2122FLEX&type=store

They are doing a flex pay: US $295.00 for orders placed by Jan 13th 2006

Jan 15th 2006 - $147.50
    Feb 15th 2006 - $147.50

For the regular book Overstock.com has them on discount
    http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=1511081
    Our Price: $29.93
    Save: $20.07 (40%)

FIDM web site says they have 5 books left (don't know if they are autographed)
    Dressing a Galaxy: The Costumes of Star Wars Limited Collector's Edition
    SKU 081095964X $295.00
    https://thefidmmuseumstore.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=18503&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=12851

13. Arsinoe

Jun 24, 1999
    Shock of all shocks...I just got an email from amazon.ca saying that my copy has been shipped.

Total: CDN$ 227.27

I'm utterly shocked. I didn't think I'd get it this late in the 'game'. wow.

14. jjmaclean

jjmaclean Jedi Youngling

Feb 11, 2005
    I just got an email too, only 201.50 CAD plus taxes! Yipee! :)

JJ MacLean

15. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Me too! I'm so fricking excited!

Now, where the money is coming from, I couldn't tell you. But I'll have my precious book!!!

Caitlin

16. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Me too! [face_dancing] Me too! [face_dancing]

Only CDN$206.50 to me in Singapore (since I initially took the 7 or was it 14 Days shipping?) and tomolo am gonna check my Debit Card Account to make sure it is indeed charged. Thank God! [face_love]

Btw, I checked out briefly the regular version today at Kino (finally they got 1 copy at SGD98) and was sad that the Padme ROTS Purple Senate Gown that I am seeing so regularly wasn't featured in the book. :oops: So until I get the chance and rights to examine it closer, can't tell visitors much about it in case some fashion student start asking me about its construction or something. But the infos about OB1 costumes and a few others outfits will be quite useful.

17. Arsinoe

Jun 24, 1999
    I picked mine up at the post office today and I've been through it to look at the pretty pictures. I got number 1059.

Why did they have to glue all the inserts into the book? It would have been much better if all the inserts were in a stack under the main book. I cringed every time I had to adjust the book to look at the 'extras' since the binding made this creepy nerve wracking sound each time.

This book is definately NOT going on the scanner bed any time soon. Maybe that was the point of the way it was constructed. *shrugs*

18. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    I got to of the regular books , on for scanning, but I don't think I would ever put my LTD book into the scanner.

19. ZamIAm

ZamIAm Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2002
    ARg, my book is fallling apart too. REALLY need a zam swatch bad - I want to compare it to the neoprene run that I did with 3 manufacturers (two years ago) that came out, and hopefully avoiding more problems if I do a second run of the fabric. My rendition was a little too thick, but exact match to the color given in the book. However, t may be different than what's actually given by the fabric. If anyone can help PLEASE email me or pm me.
    You can see my neoprene vs. a real pic, but difference in lighting changes everything.
    [image=http://zamiam.home.comcast.net/fullshotcmpr.jpg] Of course, the pic to the right is from the visual dictionary not the TB Book.

20. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    Yes...someone needs to get a Zam swatch so we can see it! LOL

21. OBI_WAN_KENOBI

OBI_WAN_KENOBI Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2001
    hey all, although i got my limited edition just before christmas after thinking it was not going to arrive as it was delayed twice. but so glad when it came from amazon.co.uk and only cost £105. but what a quality book, im not into the costumes too much but what a collectable, the talent is there to see. but the jedi insert was loose being the only problem. but i have only looked through it a couple of times. but what is even better is that my number is 2500 so i am the owner of the last one.

22. Obi-WanQuadinaros

Obi-WanQuadinaros Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2002
    Amazon's current price for the limited editon is $185.85

23. boonta-eve

boonta-eve Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2006
    Hi I?m new.

I've been having trouble getting the $50/£30 version of this book. I live in the UK and I ordered from WHSmith and Tesco and both said they were out of stock. Is it still in print?
    If so can someone tell me the best place to get one from?

24. Queen_Apailana

Queen_Apailana Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2005
    Question how long does it take for amazon to deliver the special edition

25. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    I gotten mine this morning! [face_peace] It's back in the box now and I think it was No. 1131?

No Zam swatch here :_| :_| and no Sabe either but I gotten ROTS Padme Green Robe, ROTS Peacock and a few others I'm interested in. Now to bring it to work and see which of the Anakin's Swatches goes where :confused:.

Will post the full list of the fabrics I got later. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.