main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Truncated Posts

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    The only thing worse than having truncated posts is

2. RebelJoseWales

RebelJoseWales Jedi Master star 3

Sep 10, 2008
    I see what you

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  4. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Can someone clarify something for me? I've seen the number 10,000 being used a lot but I'm looking at some fics where the posts have been cut to 4,000 or so. Is this two separate issues? I'm trying to work this (humourously) into a fanfic challenge but I'm not sure whether to use 10,000 or 4,000 as the character limit.

Yes, I know the problem will be fixed, I just have a strange sense of humour.

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    There's no character limit for new content. Or whatever it is, it's extremely high.

6. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    There is no character limit for new posts.

We honestly don't know what guidelines the IGN migration script was using when it decided to truncate the posts. I assumed 10,000 because that's the number Mike gave me. However, we were both scratching our heads when we noticed some posts are actually shorter than that.

7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Grimby the Hutt

We knew about the missing posts from other threads, but I'm pretty sure the random intervals is something new.

Has anyone seen this in other threads? If so please post a link to the thread here.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It seems that after posting, some posts from March 2012 are visible but then disappear when you try to refresh the page. Very curious.

10. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I'll get Mike on this.

11. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    [​IMG]

"We have top men working on it right now."
    "Who?"

[​IMG]

"Top. Men."

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    That's great news. I was just wondering that myself.

13. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
  14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yep - same condition as a lot of threads we've found.

15. EmpressJainaSoloFel

EmpressJainaSoloFel Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2009
  16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I haven't heard anything. Not sure if Grimby has - he's on reduced time this week due to his workload and due dates.

17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Do we have a general timeframe of when it's supposed to be fixed?

Like, will it be fixed before the end of the year?

18. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
  19. RebelJoseWales

RebelJoseWales Jedi Master star 3

Sep 10, 2008
    It will most likely be fixed some time before the heat death of the universe.

Unless it is never fixed at all, which is also a possibility.

C'est la Force.Net boards.

20. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    any updates?

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I haven't seen any from Grimby. We've had a big growth in users posting since the news about Episode VII was announced and right now the focus is on improving board performance.

22. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    This is very important to some people, including myself. TF.N is the only place I have my Fan Fiction posted in public, years worth of work (and my own Fan Fictions are miniscule when compared to most).

I feel like your response reads like "We have new users, so we don't care about you now."

Gatshicenteri1 likes this.
  23. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Actually, it should be read more like "Our site traffic has doubled since the announcement of Disney buying LucasFilm, so we need to concentrate on making sure the forums don't crash again."

If you knew the kinds of issues we were dealing with on the backend recently, you'd understand that there are more pressing matters for us to attend to currently. Your posts will be restored in time, but right now is not that time.

Random Comments likes this.
  24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    What Grimby said. I didn't mean to imply that we don't care about existing users. It's just that we'd like all our users to be able to visit and post instead of seeing the forums slow to a crawl or crash.

Random Comments likes this.
  25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Or to put it still another way - not much good to have the posts back if it keeps crashing every time you try to see them. :p