main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Twenty years clean and sober!

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by J-Rod, Feb 1, 2012.

1. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    As of last call last night I have been clean and sober for 20 years. It blows my mind. The loss of my wife and the resulting spiral nearly ended me. I thought I was gonna die. I did some shameful things, but I didn't drink. Those were the darkest days of my life. It feels good to be back on an even path again. I have a new wife and we are closing this week on our new house. I'm letting my mom and my sister (who has terminal cancer) live in my old house. The hard times, it seems, are not over. But at least for now my self-distructive behaviour is.

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Many congratulations, J-Rod. A lesser man, or even a pretty strong man in general, would have fallen off the wagon, and I'm not sure anyone could have blamed you. You've got some kind of inner strength.

Well done.

3. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    That's a fantastic achievement and a testament to your strength of character, J-Rod. I hope things get easier for you in the future.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Congratulations on your new marriage and your sobriety!

Sorry to hear about your sister's illness though. I lost my dad due to cancer.

5. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Congratulations! People like you give hope to those still struggling with the booze demon.

6. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Congratulations on this achievement J-Rod, I'm not sure how long you struggled with the addiction, but I know you've had plenty of stressers that could have aided to you relapsing. I'm not going to add to the whole a lesser man or woman would have relapsed in those conditions, because frankly, I've seen close friends go through addiction, and know that falling of the wagon can happen to anybody. I am, however happy to hear you've been able to keep your sobriety through tragic times, and situations.

[image=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-86WeI4xdfaE/Tq7sG2w4dLI/AAAAAAAAAVw/Yhwf0SbrEc8/s320/happy20thbirthday.jpg]

[:D]

7. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Thanks guys. I'm not sure that strength has much to do with it. I'm not sure that's how this deal works. I've had mentors, who've taught me how to do this, ultimatley fail. I suspect it has more to do with a simple willingness to go to any length. Faith, hope and when all else fails plain old stubborness. And a bit of luck...a weak moment doesn't meet opportunity.

I'm not here to say,"Hey look at me!" I'm just here to show you guys that there is always hope. If I can do this, anyone can.

8. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I don't think I want to do any of what you just said, so I'll pass.

9. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I certainly don't take this as a "look at me!" thing. Twenty years of sobriety is a long time and worth celebrating, particularly for anyone out there struggling with addiction or who has gotten clean and is more toward the beginning of a path like the one you've walked.

10. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Good on you.
    So you visited a dark place but didn't drink...
    Please elaborate. What did you do?
    Drugs?
    Spend insurance money on hookers?
    Murder homeless people?

I need to know so I don't make the same mistakes.

11. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    LOL...the details are unimportant. I lost a lot of my integrity and many of those closest to me lost some repect for me. I didn't care if I lived and I suspect part of me hoped I didn't. And I lived like it. I was horribly selfish and hurt many people.

12. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    good job, man.

13. FatFrank

FatFrank Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 30, 2011
    They found out that you post on the JCC?

That's it, isn't it?

14. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Don't be silly. No one can recover from that.

15. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
  16. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Congratulations J-Rod. :)

17. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Congrats on your achievement, J-Rod. I'd suggest a drink to celebrate, but I guess that wouldn't be appropriate :p

18. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Good job.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That is a fantastic accomplishment, and I'll reiterate what the others have said, people have relapsed over less. Congratulations. :)

20. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    ill down a bottle of jack in your honor this weekend

21. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I like to drink/have a fondness for it, but am responsible enough to stray away from reaching addiction. I understand how one can get down that path, and respect the hell out of anyone who is able to get off it/keep it together for their remaining days. Many congrats, J-Rod. :)

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.