main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN Unofficial Memphis EU Board.

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Chewbracca, Sep 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AzraelHorn

AzraelHorn Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 13, 2003
    Hmmm.. are you sure DesertWind is going to be Anakin? Two reasons I ask, the first being it said Desertwind was a General, and the battle where Nejja died was after the Clone Wars and it seemed as though the General was in charge at the time. All this lead me to believe DesertWind was Obi-Wan, since at the time of I, Jedi it was still believed that Ben's homeworld was Tatooine. So I think this is just bringing in Stackpole's character, I don't think we'll see the scene from I, Jedi in this one.

2. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Originally Stackpole said he had written the character with the slant that Obi_wan could have been Desertwind, but left it open-ended for the prequels (I,Jedi was written in 95/96) to address the Clone Wars. The fact that Lucas negated Obi-Wan being from Tatooine, and Owen's brother pretty much nixed that. So sayeth the Lit gods. Neeja is said to have died "during the time of the Clone Wars" in the NEGTC someone said in the Lit forum, I read mine and it does indeed have him dying "around" the clone wars now. Since EpIII basically ends the clone wars, it could be within this timeframe. I don't know about the General part, that can easily be retconned. I don't remember it saying he was a General in I,Jedi and I've never read any other story about Neeja. I'd be willing to at least put a fiver on it being Anakin. It would tie the story up without too much bending of the ole' continuity thing... I bet Stackpole is loving it that Nejaa is in this book, especially if George's beloved Anakin ends up being Desertwind! :)

Wow [face_shocked] - that was a long post!

3. AzraelHorn

Sep 13, 2003
    This was bothering me since it's been a while since I've read I, Jedi so I went back and looked it up. Here is the section of Corran talking with his granfather about Nejaa and how he died:

Corran: "Nejaa died in the Clone Wars, right?"
    Gramps Horn: "Actually he died shortly thereafter, before he could return home. He and I had joked about his going off to the Clone Wars, for it was said that a Corellian Jedi who leaves the system does so at his own peril. Nejaa promised his wife and me that the Clone Wars would not kill him. He was right, but still suffered the fate of those Corellian Jedi who go away."

From the Dream Scene:

It wasn't until I looked over to my right and saw Ylenic It'kla, resplendent in his purple cloak, and, beyond him, the Jedi General in his brown khaki desert-born robes, that I realized I wasn't me...
    The general-his name eluded me though I knew I recognized something about him-spoke very precisely. "You are meddling with things you cannot control; things that nearly destroyed the Jedi mellennia ago. We have come here to ask you to abandon your evil and return to the light."

I really think Stackpole intended it to be Obi-Wan, and from reading the above I don't think its possible for it to be Anakin since the book takes place before Ep.III, Anakin isn't a General or even a full Jedi Knight yet at the time of the new book, and Anakin doesn't talk that way at all. ;)It would have been a cool twist, but I don't see a way they could pull it off without totaly disregarding what it says in I, Jedi, which would kinda defeat the purpose of the whole thing.

4. AzraelHorn

Sep 13, 2003
    I finished Survivors Quest yesterday. I thought it was a good book, but it wasn't as good as all of Zahns other books before it. I'll have to wait for Zahns prequal book before I can really decide how much I liked.disliked about this book. The fact that he went against continuity and just made up an additional Fel for seemingly no reason bothers a lot of folks. I think he has something planned that will explain it, so we'll have to wait and see.

5. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Jedi Trail Lit thread

Well, instead of countering all that myself...I'll be lazy and let the people that are much better at it than me. I am way below their knowledge. 8-}
    some highlights:

dp4m -"I would like to thank whomever suggested that perhaps Anakin == Desertwind. I had a fanboi-gasm last night when I read it. It was quite the theory that would be cool (read: awesome) tying together of disparate storylines... " [face_laugh]

Valiento - quote "Nope, that encounter on a desolate locale, three Jedi confronting the Dark Side Jensaari, happened after the Clone Wars. The Jedi General commented that Neeja survived the horrors of the war, only to die now."

Well it doesn't help that since the time period that clone wars was originally in was moved closer to ANH because of the prequel films, that most sourcebooks now put that event during and near the end of clone wars. NEGTC, POTJSB and starwars.com are a few that that have retconned it during clone wars IIRC.

"Nejaa Halcyon, a famous master who perished in the Clone Wars fighting an enclave of fallen Jedi on Susevi."-NEGTC, pg 78.

"Around the time of the Clone Wars, Nejaa Halcyon and the Caamasi Jedi Ylenic It'kla left Correllia to search for signs of the Sith."-POTJ, pg 109.

"Nejaa Halcyon, Corran's grandfather, perished in the Clone Wars, but was survived by his son Valin."-Starwars.com

I once sent an email to MAS about and he told me its just one of those things that happened when clone wars were moved so close to ANH... He mentioned something having to do with the age of Nejaa's son at the time of his Father's death, or something(I can't remember all the details)... end quote

Leto II - quote - In I, Jedi it says when coran is dreaming that and beyon ylenic to the right stood the Jedi General in his brown and khaki desert born robes. Then after, it says the general spoke very precisely.

This to me sounds more like Obi Wan since I dont think Anakin was a General
    Recall the criticisms of AOTC, though? Folks always accused Hayden Christensen of enunciating his speech a bit *too* meticulously.

It could work. According to speculation, Anakin's apparently receives his full Jedi Knighthood in or before this novel regardless (look at the cover painting -- no Padawan braid), which would almost instantly also merit a simultaneous field-promote to "the generalship." end quote

I think it'll be a cool tie-in and wouldn't be surprised if it happened. We'll have to see in November. ;)

6. AzraelHorn

Sep 13, 2003
    Like i said, it would be cool if it could work, but even given the moving it to fit the time frame, which isn't a horrible contradiction with the book, and the speech thing, it'll be hard to get past the Jedi General thing. Anakin isn't a general at the time of the book. I'm pretty sure it said he wasn't even a full Knight yet, but I could be wrong on that count. Either way, I'd rather they not mess with it if it's going to contradict too much with what Stackpole set up in I, Jedi. *shrug* I dunno. If they can get it to work without contradicting with I, Jedi too much, it'd be cool. If not it's not that big a deal. I like the idea of it being Obi-Wan just as much as Anakin. I'm just happy to be able to see Nejaa in action and see what they do with his character.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.