main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    How is that strange?

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  2. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013

Most people don't seem to like it, and many actively dislike it. I don't get the hate for it. [face_dunno] So by strange, I mean compared to many of the opinions out there. I've observed many people calling PT-likers to be 'apologists' but I like the movie and I'm not in the least-bit sorry about anything.

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    @CommanderDrenn: Good, that's wonderful, Drenn. Those that prefer the OT like me are often called 'haters' it's equally not fair. Everyone is entitled to like what they like. :)

4. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    TANGENT ALERT!
    'Apologists' doesn't actually mean that you're 'sorry about anything.' An apologist is merely "a person who offers an argument defending a controversial topic." Apologetics is common particularly in the history of the Christian Church, in which people would attempt to present a rational basis for and defend the Christian faith (see: Saint Paul, Thomas Aquinas, C.S. Lewis, G.K. Chesterton, etc.) The phrase comes from Greek, and has the same root as the word "apologize/apology," so they look quite similar, but have distinct, though related, meanings.
    Or in other words, it's a title one who 'defends' the PT can accept gladly (though admittedly, it is a bit of an odd phrase to use outside of religious matters. [Star Wars is not a religion]).

[/Tangent]

Sarge likes this.
  5. CommanderDrenn

Oct 19, 2013
    Ah, I misinterpreted the meaning, but anyway, the PT is good to me, and that's that.

6. Green Gogol

Green Gogol Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 11, 2014
    Here are my opinions:
    - PT is better than OT (and I've been a SW fan since 1977)
    - I don't mind the special edition
    - A new hope is the worst of the six movies
    - I'm happy Boba Fett died like that
    - Ewoks are great, and I prefer them to the original idea of having wookies instead. That would have been awful.
    - The acting in the PT is great. It's restrained and without emotion on purpose. But look at the eyes!
    - Nothing wrong with Padme dying of a broken heart.
    - Best Anakin scene: during the pursuit scene on Coruscant, when he dives with the speeder toward the big ship thingy, laughing madly.
    - The Clone Wars series is uninteresting.
    - Most powerful scene of the saga: Anakin lighting his lightsaber in the Jedi Temple while the children thinks he's there to rescue them.
    - The dialogue of the love scene in AOTC is not bad, it's awkward on purpose.
    - Hayden is not a better actor in ROTS than AOTC, it's just the character that is more mature.
    - Hamill is not a better actor in ROTJ, again, it's just the character that is more mature.
    - Oh, and Jar Jar is a great character, sadly misunderstood.
    - The Neimodians are not there for comic relief.
    - Having a 9 year old Anakin in TPM is a great choice. It explains pretty well what happens in the next 2 movies.
    - Anakin seduction by the dark side is great. His fear of loss, always being ignored and held back. He always succeeds when he goes against the wishes of his teachers and mother when he does forbidden things. But fails when he follows the rules. The Jedi life being much more like a slave than actually being a slave, etc.

jbyrd1245, Maul95, FRAGWAGON and 9 others like this.
  7. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Are you an angel?

I agree with you on literally EVERY point

8. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Inspired by the Rebels teaser, I just realized how much I love that the PT didn't feature a ship that was the Falcon in all but name.

9. Green Gogol

Green Gogol Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 11, 2014
    Maybe...

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Seagoat like this.
  10. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Exactly how many people do you mean by "most"?

Andy Wylde likes this.
  11. CommanderDrenn

Oct 19, 2013
    The majority of people I have seen either dislike it/bash it/are indifferent. If I had to put a number I would say 60% of Star Wars fans don't like it(being the PT) that I've seen.

12. Padmes_love_slave24

Padmes_love_slave24 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2003
    That Han Solo is a great character but gets WAY too much credit for making the OT films enjoyable, he is a great smuggler, has entertaining one liners, is a useful member of the rebellion and helps saves Luke's life a number of times etc...But when I hear someone tells me the reason they love Star Wars is because of Han and they disliked the PT because their was no Han Solo type character I roll my eyes. If you are only into Star Wars because of his character you probably weren't much into Star Wars to begin with. Star Wars to me will always be a sci-fi fantasy tale of good vs evil, and the ongoing Skywalker legacy. And you also can put Boba Fett on the list of great characters who get way too much credit!

13. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    I prefer the Special Editions to the Unaltered Trilogy. I grew up with the OOT, but after seeing the SEs in theaters, the special effects, the locales all seemed...quaint.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  14. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Interesting thought: anyone think we'll ever reach another time where SW is generally unpopular and it's "uncool" to like it?

15. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Try going to a party and saying you didn't think Jar Jar was so bad. Get ready for some strange looks! I generally avoid talking about Star Wars as I do politics.

I thought my niece was going to disown me after I said I loved the last Indy movie.

16. Padawan Fangirl

Padawan Fangirl Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    I agree. I adore Boba, but Jango has a much better backstory IMO. It was Jango, not Boba, that got me interested in the Mandalorians.

Sent from my stupid little astro droid using TapaTalk 2.

17. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Always a pleasure to meet a Jango fan.

18. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013

I'd say being a fan of the whole saga is considered uncool today. If you don't think Empire Strikes Back is holy and flawless, you have a bad taste in film.

19. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    -Jedi Joe-

This reminds me of an unpopular opinion of mine I'll share

Reviewing SW as individual films is a major mistake by critics. Individually, as films, they suck. When viewed as a single body, a saga, it becomes an excellent story. Every individual episode needs the other 8 to support it

Yes, I just said that

20. Cyreides

Cyreides Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 19, 2014
    I think that the PT is better than the OT in just about every way imaginable, and it's honestly a struggle for me to watch any of the OT movies nowadays.

I also think that at the very least, for consistencies sake, the OT needs to be re-made.

21. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004

Politics, religion, sex and the PT. Avoid those and you'll be fine.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  22. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    Cool, this is a great thread, imo. Here's mine:

1. Boba Fett is one of the most overrated characters in cinema history.
    2. Star Wars is better when Lucas is not directing it... or writing it.

mJedi775, Sarge and Yanksfan like this.
  23. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    So we have yet to see a better Star Wars film?

Andy Wylde, Samnz and JoshieHewls like this.
  24. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
  25. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013

We've definitely seen better ones that he hasn't directed