main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA Upcoming Films

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SoulKrusher, May 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I'm looking forward to the following;

The Incredibles
    Aliens Vs Predator
    Hellboy
    Chronicles of Riddick
    Van Helsing

2. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    There's quite a few I'm interested in but Prisoner of Azkeban is the only one I'm really hanging out for at the moment. (EPIII's too far away for now)

3. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    Personally I see many of the big movies this year falling flat on their face (especially Alien vs Predator and Punisher), but that's just my opinion.

Spiderman 2 is top of the list after watching the trailer the other day on the big screen. Other then that, the Riddick movie could be good, and I almost forgot Van Helsing.

4. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I agree with you there. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I'm sick of every second movie being either a sequel or a remake. Harry Potter I don't count as a sequel since it's part of an established series. A lot of them are sequels for the sake of sequels.
    That's why when I was reading the article about Kevin Costner in the TV guide, my opinion of him went up quite a bit when he commented on how he never does sequels to his movies because he thought it's a stupid idea to do sequels for the sake of a sequel. Even though he probably could have made a killing from Robin Hood 2 etc.

5. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    Agreed. Only those sequels that have a true purpose will ever really make it big. Harry Potter, Spiderman, Star Wars, X-men. All have plenty of other stories and characters that can be used to create a movie, unlike other sequels that, as you mentioned, are simply for profit.

There's a question for you. What's the worst sequel ever made?

6. MisFitToy

MisFitToy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 5, 2003
    To answer that question, I'm going to compile a few friend's opinions as well as my own in the following list:

Highlander 2
    The Crow 2
    The Crow 3
    Batman Forever
    Batman and Robin
    The Matrix: Reloaded
    The Matrix Revolutions
    Terminator 3
    Lethal Weapon 3
    Lethal Weapon 4
    Police Academy 2 - 7
    The Man from Snowy River 2
    Alien 3
    Star Wars Episode 1 The Phantom Menace
    Star Wars Episode 2 Attack of the Clones
    Star Trek 5: The Final Frontier
    Star Trek 9: Insurrection
    Star Trek 10: Nemesis

I'm sure that's almost the complete list playing at the multiplex in Hell.

7. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I would have put those first few in exactly the same order. Some of the others are films I don't mind too much but I think you definately nailed the very worst of the worst. I must admit though, I've never actually seen the Crow sequels based on the advice of pretty much anyone who has seen them. I just can't forget the pain of Highlnder 2 enough to give them a chance. :p

8. MisFitToy

Jan 5, 2003
    Highlander 2 would have been awful even if it wasn't a sequel, if you get my drift.
    I also forgot to add to that list:

Cruel Intentions 2
    Superman 3
    Superman 4

Anyone else?

9. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    I disagree with Reloaded, Termintator 3 and the two Star Wars prequels (for obvious reasons). I suppose Episode 1 deserves to be on the list far more then Episode 2.

Other then that, I think you've got the most of them right there, including the God awful Batman and Robin (let's hope the new sequel goes back to the comic's roots, darker and more realistic).

I'll add to the list Blade 2, Dumb and Dumberer and every Disney straight to video sequel in the last 5 years (as well as the big-screen releases) other then that half-decent Lion King sequel.

10. MisFitToy

Jan 5, 2003
    I'm sure there's another thread dealing with the next batman film somewhere around here, but i'll just put this in here for now.

Confirmed:
    The title, Batman: Intimidation
    Chris Nolan directing
    Christian Bale (Equalibrium, Reign of Fire, American psycho) as Batman
    Michael Caine (lotsa stuff) as Alfred.
    Cillian Murphy as the Scarecrow
    Ras Al Ghul as another villain, actor unconfirmed.

It's being filmed in London set in Gotham, and will deal with the early years of batman, possibly starting before he puts on the suit.

Rumoured:
    Viggo Mortensen (do I really need to tell you who he is?) as Ras Al Ghul.
    Katie Holmes as a character called Rachael, not much n=known at this stage about her.
    Cameos by certain Gotham citizens before they become known as The Joker, Riddler, Maxie Zeus, possibly a couple of others.

Possible release date: June/July 2005, putting it up against some awesome competition in the same time period, such as Star Wars 3, Fantastic Four, Hulk 2 (rumour) and possibly a new Bond film.

It'll be interesting to see if this is the one that will finally satisfy the comic fans.
    Also this reminds me of another crap sequel: American Psycho 2

11. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    It has potential but...
    Apart from Michael Caine I don't really know any of the others. I've seen reign of fire but about the only actor in that I knew was the guy who plays Julian Bashir. :p
    Could be good if they do it well. Fingers crossed.

Of course occasionally we're graced with a sequel to a good movie that's actually as good or better than an already good first movie. I'm thinking of X-men here.

12. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    Anyone seen the teaser trailer for Prisoner of Azkeban yet? Looks promising. The new actor playing Dumbledore is only shown briefly but he looks the part and sounds the part. Every time I watch it I notice something different.
    They never really show Professor Lupin but there's several shots of Sirius Black. You also get a partial glimpse of a Dementor.

13. Seb

Seb Jedi Youngling

Feb 9, 2004
    I think that the Last Samurai was a cool movie. I dont know about you, but i really think there was more to the film than just killing and you know. Most films these days are the sort where you go in and watch something for 2 hours and come out feeling no different... But this WAS something different. It had very deep and underlying messages and it is the sort of film that you remember years later.

I personally dont like cruise, but the critics were right: this WAS tom's best movie (and probably ever will be).

14. monkey_abbot

monkey_abbot Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    I just saw Shattered Glass.

I really quite enjoyed it. :D

15. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    I'm actually interested in checking that out now, since I have an interest in journalism it might teach me a thing or two on what not to do :)

16. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Just letting you know that Brian Singer (X-Men, X-Men 2) will be directing a remake of the classic, Logan's Run.

Click Here for More

17. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting sick of re-makes, unless it has a sci-fi tone (since the advance in special effects helps greatly, unless its Lost in Space of course). If it simply creates the same tone of the original, it isn't worth it. The Brady Bunch movie is one perfect example of a re-make done well, hell it even makes fun out of it!

18. Darth_Soup

Darth_Soup Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 15, 2001
    Logan's Run was fantastic, bloody well written, and a highly disturbing concept. And It was Sci-Fi, so the potential for a remake is awesome..... however it can really only go one of two ways........ Really absolutely multiple acadamy award winning excellence, or straight to video piece of monkey turd.

Considering the director, and the material, I am hoping like hell it goes the way of option one.....

DS

19. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    True, Singer is a very good director. Let's hope he gets the job done well.

20. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    He did a nice job of X-men which was a hard task. It would have been hard to decide what parts of the originals to keep since so many of the original comics, cartoons etc contradict each other. He did a nice job of doing a film that appealed to X-men fans as well as people who knew nothing about them. I only barely remember Logan's run but there's certainly potential for something good there.

21. monkey_abbot

monkey_abbot Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    I just saw THe Missing.

I thought it was very good, great performances, good plot and i thought it had a nice length. I really felt for the characters.

Anyone seen The House of Sand and Fog?

22. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    Sorry, just going to back the topic up a bit... Looking at MFT's list of sequels that sucked...

I agree with completely ignoring The Crow : City of Angels (or, the Crow 2). Vincent Perez just downright sucked, and so did the whole movie...

But The Crow : Salvation (or, the Crow 3) was acutally a lot closer to the comic books than the other movies. There was a scene in the movie where the dude who comes back as the Crow is being electrocuted (as you do) and that scene is exactly like the scene from the comic. It's brilliant.

23. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    So would you say the 3rd one's worth seeing if you miss the second one or do you really need to see the 2nd one first?

24. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    The second movie (City of Angels) is a direct sequal to the first movie. It involves Sarah, the girl from the first movie, being all grown up... It's basically exactly the same story with Iggy Pop thrown in there somewhere. The soundtrack is really good. And the leather jacket that Vincent Perez takes off one of the bad guys is really nice too... But the movie itself was pretty crappy.

The third movie (Salvation) has nothing to do with either of the movies except the whole crow legend. It follows the comic more closely and is just better all round than City of Angels. I'd say that Salvation is definately worth a look if you enjoyed the first movie.

And if you want a laugh, there's always the TV series (Stairway to Heaven) which has Mark Dacascos as Eric Draven. The TV series was just shocking. The crow make-up just suddenly appeared on his face whenever he was angry... And I dunno, it's worth watching for the amusement factor...

25. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    The new batman website is now online, though its only an image of the logo. Still, its something :)

Check it out at http://batmanbegins.warnerbros.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.