main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Upcoming Music gigs

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SithForceLord, Nov 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    He always does [face_worried]

2. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :S

3. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    No "lizards shed their skin" jokes. [face_plain]

LMAO

Yea, weather dependant. ie: I'll hear by 6:30pm tonight if it's good enough to go Bat and Lizard monitoring tonight (after a 10 hour day :( boo, but money is all good :))

4. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    So how was Jens STH?

5. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    the show was awesome, although a little hard to describe unless you're familiar with his music. Oddly, for a show with no promotion, there were a hell of a lot of people turned away from the venue on the night.

Anyway, he began the gig down the lack of the room by the mixing desk, playing this song "Julie" without the aid of a PA or anything. He just started playing while walking around the back of the room, singing and waiting for people to be quite, and people slowly stopped talking as he serenaded the crowd, walking around the room and slowly approaching the stage. It was one of those "could hear a pin drop" moments, and seemed to reduce the entire audience into a group of swooning 14 year old schoolgirls.

6. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    lol Damnit I can't believe I missed the opportunity to be a swooning 14 yo school girl again

:(

I got drunk on Friday night in Ponsonby. Good sized hangover Saturday.

Fat Freddy's Drop, Turnaround DJ's and Tom Thumb were pretty good at Grey Lynn Park for the Red Bull Daylight Savings gig... Spectrum Live was a bit... different. Awesome sound system there and there must have been 20-25 thousand people all standing and moving to Fat Freddy. You can't go past that! Outstanding. Great day. Freddy's played pretty much all new music too which was cool, must be a new album in the pipeline. :)

Bought The WBC's EP and a few tracks off amplifier.co.nz the other day, can't wait to get that. Saw them at the Dux de Lux in Chch a few years ago and the only thing I could find was their Uncle Benny single, which is good, but after hearing their entire set at Dux, I've been awaiting their album for a long time! :)

7. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    anyone going to Bic Runga etc. on Saturday night in Mt. Eden?

8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I'm snowed under with work so won't be going, but I know Mark's keen, drop him an email / text...

9. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Yea, got a ticket today.

10. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    I have to be honest. I've admired Bic and Anika without really knowing their music. I know they're making music, and I respect that.

movie quotes aside, I know a few Bic songs and have some albums but have never dedicated time to listening, appreciating and legitimately liking the music.

Tonight I fell instantly in love with Anika Moa. Her voice was outstanding and her crack up banter and relaxed feel on stage was great, the only down side was that she only played 3 songs.

Flight of the Conchords were spectacular. I've been watching some of their work online lately and their first song was new to me, and was halarious - as was their entire act. Top notch, only to be complimented by getting a pxt with them (Hiphopapotamus and Rhymnocerous). Quality.
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/markhansen/MewithFlightoftheConchords.jpg]

http://www.youtube.com - search "conchords" and watch their videos if you don't know of them, or just want to laugh! :)

Bic was amazing. All there is to say. Her enchore was wonderful and her more popular / older songs "drive" "sway" etc, went off! Truely worth the money and JP you so should have come!!!

11. YouAgain

Dec 20, 2001
    this just in...

I'm going to the stones!!! w00t got my tickets today!

12. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
  13. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    the Bic show was great ... I haven't heard Anika Moa's new album, but the first one had good songs but suffered from extraordinarily bad production. I think her label (Warners?) was pitching her at the US market, and wanted her to be the new Jewel or something, and the production of that album was really slick and horrible and I was instantly put off. But then I saw her open for Tim Finnin 2001, and was amazed at how great she sounded with just an acoustic guitar. I gather her new album is a lot better/mopre sympathetic, given that it's been produced by the reclusive musical genius Edmund Cake. I guess I should buy it.

Flight of the Conchord were brilliant, spoilt only slightly by the drunken idiot behind me who deemed it necessary to explain the jokes as the songs were playing.

14. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    lol

What about the fool at the back of the cnocert "We love you Neil!!!" at a concert for and about Bic. Anika took the piss after about the 3rd time and said it down the mic.

Yea, apparently the record company made Anika give up a pregnancy because she was starting off (ultimately her decision, but still) I think her first song was about that. But yea, an amazing voice and just with acoustics, she was great. Like I said, and my mates agreed, 3 songs were not enough and she did say if we loved her she could extend her 20mins out to an hour. I would have had no complaints :p Even her doing Bic's Drive would have been a crack up, but she stopped after the first line :p

15. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Re: Stones.

hmmmmmmm, still should be a great show, and their enchore will probably have some classics (I hope at least)

16. YouAgain

Dec 20, 2001
    Yeah I'm hoping the encore will have some of the classics...

Although I must say, I have listened to a bit of the newish stuff, and it is kinda good!

17. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
  18. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Might want to check the date on that Herald article, lads.

19. YouAgain

Dec 20, 2001
    OM*G!!! Arghhhh JP you could have pointed it our earlier!!!

20. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    son of a *****, and I was just talking to a mate and saying I hadn't heard of any arpil fools and i cracked up at him cause he got done with a few things apparently.

21. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    [Nelson] Ha Ha! [/Nelson]

22. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    The only April Fools jokes I saw were on April 2nd ... someone showed me this crazy one at starwars.com:

http://www.starwars.com/databank/updates/401/news20060401.html

23. YouAgain

Dec 20, 2001
    I heard rumours that David Gilmour might be coming to NZ for an "On an island" tour, anyone else heard anything?

24. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    /shrugs/

Deep Purple in 10 days. :)

25. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I'll ask "my people".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.