main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

V for Vendetta Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Feb 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    [image=http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d76/jedimasterronoc/vforvendetta29.jpg]

so who is going to be seeing V for Vendetta? it looks like a pretty good movie. i'm impressed by the previews and tv spots i've seen. the scene where Big Ben and Parliament gets blown up looks cool. i wonder how people in London will feel about it since there were the the bombings there last summer. V for Vendetta comes out March 17th

2. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Well that was seen as one of the reasons that it was held back from the original November release date (what was it? The 4th? "Remember, remember the fourth of November :confused: ).

It was never given as an official reason though. They said they were working on F/X.

Yeah I'll be seeing it. I was ready in Nov.

3. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    I am definitely interested in this movie. I had a friend in college who liked the comic book version, but I never got a chance to read his copy. I am sure that he is really looking forward to this, he thought it should have been a movie. Too bad I lost touch with him when we left college.

My wife has even commented that V for Vendetta looks good from the trailers shown during the Olympics coverage. I am hoping that means we'll make it one of the few movies we see in the theater.

4. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    What is this movie even about?

5. weezer

May 16, 2001
    From wiki:

Set against the futuristic landscape of totalitarian Britain, V for Vendetta tells the story of a mild-mannered young woman named Evey who is rescued from a life-and-death situation by a masked vigilante known only as "V." Incomparably charismatic and ferociously skilled in the art of combat and deception, V ignites a revolution when he detonates two London landmarks and takes over the government-controlled airwaves, urging his fellow citizens to rise up against tyranny and oppression. As Evey uncovers the truth about V's mysterious background, she also discovers the truth about herself -- and emerges as his unlikely ally in the culmination of his plot to bring freedom and justice back to a society fraught with cruelty and corruption.

V is Batman if Guy Fawkes had flown through the window instead of a bat ;)

6. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    I never thought of it as a Sci-Fi/Fantasy film, which is why I was unfamiliar with it.

7. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I wouldn't consider it Sci-Fi/Fantasy either but taking place in the future I guess you could make the argument.

Totalitarian future, corrupted fascist government, dystopian Britain, yeah I guess it would be one or the other.

8. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    It's done my the Wachowksi Bros. How can it not fit SFF. I've been waiting for this since mid last year, since I saw the first trailer and knew Natalie shaved her head.

Great to have Agent Smith and Padme in the same movie together.

And it is in IMAX.

9. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    that's what my reasoning for creating the thread here. it's an alternate future.

10. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Would Bound and Assassins fit SFF [face_thinking]

11. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    V for Vendetta at IMDB says it's in the Sci-Fi genre as well as many others.

12. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Which is what I said five posts ago :p

13. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    This movie does indeed look cool to me - or maybe rather than cool I should say intriguing? I'm not sure how Portman will perform in that environment but it should have some good action if nothing else. ;)

14. green-boy

green-boy Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2004
    This movie has impressed me very well with the trailer/TV Spots. I'll be seeing it. ;)

15. Obiyodawinduvader

Obiyodawinduvader Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2005
    I'll go. I hope Portman acts well. We bought Garden State to see how she acted in that, but never wached it.

Obiy

16. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    When I first heard of it, I thought it was just junk. Though upon reading more about it and watching the trailers, I have a new found interest in it. The trailer is what hooked me as well.

17. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    It's the fifth of November.

Remember, remember, the 5th of November

Gunpowder, treason and plot;

I know of no reason, why the gunpowder treason

Should ever be forgot.

And the more I see commercials for the film the more I think of it as a simulation of a future England if Thatcherism continued past the 80s.

18. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    And if they stuck to plan it would have been released the weekend of the 5th of November...against Chicken Little. I'm hoping for 100+ I mean this is the Wachowski's and this is the redemption they need since Revolutions. Big legs. Big big legs.

19. Alishu06

Alishu06 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2005
    This sounds interesting, I'm glad that you guys posted about the movie, cause I had no clue what it was about and I'm going to go see it with a bunch of ppl on opening day. Glad I don't have to walk in there blind!

20. weezer

May 16, 2001
    So that joke went right over your head.

The saying is the 5th you are correct.

The movie would of been released on the 4th (Friday) to coincide with the 5th which would of been a Saturday. So I changed 5th to 4th to coincide with the release date and tried an admittedly bad joke to point out the inconsistency. ;)

21. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Jan 15, 2005
    It wasn't a particularly good joke to begin with, Seinfeld.

22. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Its all in the subtext.

And the fact that movies don't open on Saturdays.

23. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Jan 15, 2005
    I'm glad you know what day of the week November 4, 2005 fell on. Good jokes shouldn't need research.

24. weezer

May 16, 2001
    That was the subtext part.

Either way it was never a good joke. [face_hang_head_in_shame]

25. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Just saw another TV spot.

Anyone know why the Wachowksi Bros didn't direct? Was it their choice or did it get chosen for them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.