main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Warwick Davis "Ewoks Were Misunderstood"

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Bazinga'd , Nov 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
  2. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    People who whine and groan about the Ewoks too much piss me off. OK, so it would have been cooler if they were Wookiees, I guess, but having Wookiees didn't make RoTS a better movie, and not having them doesn't really make RoTJ a worse one.

People have to get over this weird Wookiee fetish, seriously...

Anyhow, I totally get where Lucas was going with the Ewoks. He said at the time that it was kind of this allegory relating to the Vietnam War, where these lightly-armed peasants, with a lot of grit and determination, stood up to and defeated a big, technologically-advanced superpower. I guess if you don't see it in that light, the Ewoks make a lot less sense, but they still have that underdog thing of standing up with that same grit and determination going on.

Anyhow, I never really had a big problem with the Ewoks, and I've always thought that people who do just need to get the hell over it. It's just more of that fanboy "all or nothing" attitude of everything being either the "Best. X. Ever." or the "Worst. X. Ever." Blah.

3. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    I've always liked the Ewoks. They're cute and make me smile when I watch RotJ, even though I'm cheering for the Empire.

4. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    people have a problem with ewoks?

V-2 likes this.
  5. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    A similar question with a similar answer would be "Do people have problems with Jar Jar Binks.":D

6. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    Binks and the Ewoks aren't even in the same ballpark, ain't even the same league or the same -ing sport.
    To quote Spaced: "Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like -ing Shaft!"

benknobi1 likes this.
  7. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    That's how I felt about the PT before I read online $#!!. I mean, I knew they weren't as beloved as the OT, but I didn't know there was outright HATE for it.

8. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
    Were they silly? Yes. Did they ruin the movie? No.

9. Vesper2112

Vesper2112 FF President & CR, Chattanooga, TN star 4

Nov 14, 2003
    On that same token, I'm sad that Jar Jar almost defines the entire Gungan race simply because he made that much of an impression. The concept of the Gungan race is fine, but not executed well because Jar Jar was forced into almost every scene regarding them. The big square off on Naboo should have been an epic battle. (As an aside, the space battle above also should have been). The big issue was that we didn't know any of these characters well enough to care what happened. Give them names. Give them personalities.

The Ewoks were handled better (even if they did come off as "cute"), but they were pretty darn effective at what they did. Plus, they were planning to EAT the heroes! You have to wonder what they served at the celebration feast... Mmmm... Roast stormtrooper....

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  10. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Roast Stormtrooper, simmered in their own juices and served in the shell.

11. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    [Chandler Bing] and we're done with the chicken fried rice [Chandler Bing]

12. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    The Ewoks tried to roast Han alive and eat him... Cute? Not exactly.

Which makes one think... What happened to the stormtroopers and other Imperial personnel captured at the victory at Endor? Were they safely in POW camps, with their rights protected? Or were they... What happened to the people whose helmets were being drummed on? What were those campfires for? The horror, the horror...

13. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    I like the ewoks. I like the Gungans as a people, but I loathe Jar-Jar. It's all a matter of taste.

14. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    One thing I've never understood about Ewok haters is that they don't really think it through fully. Here are the main arguments:

1) They are cutesie beings for the kids.
    2) There is no way they could have defeated an elite army of Imperial troops

1) They were carnivorous beings who were not afraid of capturing humans and a Wookie in an attempt to dine on them.
    2) Guerilla warfare has a long and successful history. The idea that guerilla warfare couldn't be successful seems odd to me. It has been used in success against the greatest armies of their times in our own history (British army, US army, early Chinese armies, etc)

The first time it dawned on me that people hated the Ewoks is when I was 18 and first encountered an Ewok hater. The previous 12 years of my life when I thought of Ewoks and/or Endor I thought about how the Ewoks had helped the Rebels defeat the galactic Empire and that some of their traps were great considering the forces they were fighting.

Valairy Scot and Yunners like this.
  15. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    Wicket was awesome. Ewoks are even better now that their eyes blink on the new BR release. Gungans are ok, Jar-Jar, not so much, and that's an understatement[face_beatup]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.