main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CVI WDW or Dragon*Con? Decisions, decisions....

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Grand Admiral Strife, Jun 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    So with C VI being the last weekend in August and D*C the first weekend of September, should I skip WDW and just add a drive up to Atlanta for D*C in 2012?

How many are doing both conventions, or choosing one over the other?

GO!

2. kina

kina Jedi Youngling

Jul 17, 2010
    Last year I went to CV and Dragoncon. It was tough financially especially since attending DragonCon was a last minute decision but I made it work and without going into debt. It was my first time attending either con and it was worth it. I'll be attending both next year too. If I can afford it then I'll also go to Disney for Star Tours. If not, then I'll definitely choose DragonCon over Disney.

3. EnviousSerious-Rue

EnviousSerious-Rue Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2009
    Before the CVI announcement I had already made plans for WALT DISNEY WORLD in July.
    It's definitely going to be a strain financially but I am glad that we have fourteen-months
    to plan.
    WDW is mainly for my 15-17 year old godsons and CVI is for me!

4. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    I did both CV and DragonCon last year, but they were a few weeks apart. Aside from the cost, it is logistically difficult. Think about laundry along with travel.

I suppose one could do CV, Disney and then DC, but one would definitely be a challenge and need to save up for.

5. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    I'm hoping I can be financially able to do both CVI and D*C. I'm planning to do a day or two at Harry Potter to take pics in costume, and maybe a day at Star Tours. If not, I'll try for SWW 2013.

6. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    Decision made this evening. WDW put up their vacation packages thru fall 2012, so Maulfly and I will be spending 9 days 8 nights unwinding and relaxing before C VI gets underway. Under $2400.00 including Dining Plan and Park Hopper! This vacation is going to feel sooooo good.....

7. FireParamedic

FireParamedic Jedi Padawan

Aug 13, 2011
    My wife and I are attending both Celeb VI and Dragon Con. We're also doing the SF Ball in Bournemouth, England, in February. Saving NOW to make it all work without going into debt. We did SD Comic Con last month and wouldn't do it again.

8. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    What happened at ComiCon that made it unpleasant for you? I went several years ago (for the first time) and had a bad experience at the hotel. Otherwise, I had a good time--however, in some aspects ComiCon had much more to do (activities) than the Celebrations.

9. FireParamedic

Aug 13, 2011
    Perhaps our expectations were too high. The guest list was INCREDIBLE - but the queue to get into the main hall was over 6,000 people long, and people started lining up at sunrise, then waited for up to six or seven hours (and some still did not get in) so the chance of actually seeing or doing anything was minimal. I don't mind lining up if there's a fair chance of getting in, but spending half my waking hours in line is not my idea of a good experience (especially one I paid $150 for).

The one panel I DID get into was excellent, the Star Wars books panel with Timothy Zahn and Shelly Shapiro. But because of the ton of people (160,000, I believe) the chances of doing anything but shop were minimal. All in all, I wish I had used the money for Celebration 5 or for Dragon Con instead. Comic-Con was very poorly organized, from what we saw.

10. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    When I went to Comic-Con in 2009, they had a separate line for people with 4 day passes. I usually got there every day about 7:30 or 8:00. I would sit in line for an hour or two, and they would let the 4 day people in early. I was alerted to the horrible mid-convention center "crawl" by a person from C4 who had recommended Comic-Con to me. I am sure that you had the four day pass. Were you with your family? If you were, that line (which I have seen) would be truly, truly horrible. Maybe I missed something--did you also attend this year's Comic-Con? If so--and you are also attending Dragon Con AND Celebration 6, you are surely lucky--and you will be truly tired!

11. FireParamedic

Aug 13, 2011
    My wife and I had the four day pass. This last Comic-Con was absolutely logjammed, though we count ourselves lucky to have made the Star Wars Books panel (the only panel we made all weekend). No Comic-Con for 2012 (even if we could get tickets), I'm hoping that the Celebration will be a little more attendee-friendly (i.e. the lines will actually have something accessible at the end). Have heard many good things about Dragon Con, even though it's on a huge scale. I guess time will tell :)

12. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    It sounds like they had more than the usual 125K people there that usually attend (or so I have heard). It seems like they must have had a lot of celebrities there to bring that many attendees. I am sure that the Celebration will be similar to C5--unless they have a specific person coming--one that will bring very big crowds! I have never been to DragonCon (I live on the West Coast). Is it really a good convention?

13. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Comic Con does NOT empty the panel room b/t panels and Hall H... the big one 6000+ people does not empty... only the number that come out go in... and hard core Comic Coners know this and get in and stay there... which does make it difficult... You should have seen the first year Twilight had a panel... those folks just did NOT get it...

Dragon Con has more to do after hours when the con panels have wound down if you like to costume watch.

We're doing WDW, Celebration and Dragon Con next year... and possibly also Gen Con Indy and D23 (depending on the Dates for D23... and also Comic Con... going to be a busy summer...

14. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    I'm doing both CVI and DC since I'm here in Florida and can get a ride up to DC. My roommate might do the same thing and visit relative in the region between the two events.

15. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I went to Dragon*Con this year for the first time and wasn't super impressed. I'd really only go if you definitely have a room at the main hotels, don't mind being in tight crowded rooms, and like staying up past 10pm.

16. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    As of now, I plan on doing both, with a day or two at Universal for a group outing in HP costumes. :)

17. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Shouldn't one do that at all conventions? Afterpar-tay! :p

18. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I dedicate several nights of Comic-Con to going to bed really early to sleep. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.