main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation We need a return to Epic Space Battles

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by artooo, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The OT ships do sometimes seem slow in that context. But if you believe certain writers, they're capable of thousand-G accelerations, and it's only movie constraints that don't show them actually doing it on screen.

If the ESB collision only looked slow because they'd already gone from high speed to almost zero speed in a matter of moments, it may not constraint later scenes.

2. GeekFurious

GeekFurious Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 2012
    The fact that these movies are going to be, at least in some part, created and realized by fans of the series, I think it is safe to project that we will get some kind of big space battles.

I can't think of anything that was as epic as either ANH or ROTJ in the prequels (mind you, I like the prequels). So, we are due.

3. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Or ESB's "Star Destroyer overshadowed by Super Star Destroyer" scene for that matter.

4. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    One of the many things I hated about TPM was the soulless, drama-free, kiddie-like space battle at the end. ROTS was a good movie overall, but the opening space battle was pretty dull. Buzz droids? Sigh. No tension whatsoever.

Bring back some fun, exciting, tension filled space battles like in ANH and ROTJ.

5. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Accceleration doesn't really count - it's always measured in a straight line. What matters is agility - and that's governed by inertia. A bigger ship will always be less manoeuverable than a smaller one because of its greater mass, and course changes tend to bleed-off straight-line velocity anyway.

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It's relevant to "can the crew survive a manuever" - if the ship has that acceleration, it must have inertial dampers.

The Rebel fleet turning in RoTJ looks pretty lumbering though.

7. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes, it was always the case with the old "wooden walls" - frigates (the small, scouting and utility ships) were always more nimble than the big 'Ships of the Line' (of battle). There's even a recorded case where a French 80 gun'ner was sailing up the English Channel and a 28 gun frigate outfought and eventually captured her. The frigate came up close astern, fired her first broadside then went onto the opposite tack and fired the other. Eventually there was so much damage (and so many casualties) that the bigger ship had to strike her colours.

8. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    I actually liked the battle of coruscant. it might not have an epic feel, but it does do a good job on developing two character.

9. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    I LOVE the Hoth aerial fights. I want to see some planetary battles also, in daylight.

10. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    The prequel trilogy had the better lightsaber battles, and the the original trilogy had the better space battles. Maybe the sequel trilogy will have the best of both! :)

yggdrasil311 likes this.
  11. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I agree. Star Wars needs its epic space battles and lightsaber fights.

yggdrasil311 likes this.
  12. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I'm actually happy the PT didn't have epic space battles to overshadow the OT. Actually, ROTJ is the only time we actually see some epic stuff. ANH is more like a series of dogfights. But it's the intimate feel of it that makes it more exciting than ROTJ.

Epic battles can be tricky. The more participants there are, the more impersonal it becomes. I tend to read a lot of military scifi, and the most exciting space battles are those involving individual ships or small tactical units. If you read from the POV of an admiral who commands hundreds of ships and thousands of people it becomes more like a computer game. It can be interesting but doesn't keep you on the edge of your seat.

13. Varactyl

Varactyl Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2012
    Giant thumbs up from me, man. I want some crazy space action. Big ships, little ships, fast ships, slow ships, ships crashing, blowing up, pilots ejecting from their fighters, crazy maneuvers, stuff drifting into nearby stars and burning, black holes slurping down capital ships, solar flares taking down communications, chaos everywhere. Throw in a couple Jedi and Sith fighting with lightsabers on the hull somewhere.

I just want it all. =D=