main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation we need more women main characters.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by CoolyFett, Oct 31, 2012.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It's going to be set 40 years after A New Hope. The protagonist will be Jania Solo (Skywalker, maybe just as a way to keep the name going. Who says in a Galaxy Far Far Away the kids have to have their father's last name?). She will be in her early 20s. The EU adventures still happened, it's just some fumbling with the years wherein the events happened aka a sliding timescale ala Captain America being unfrozen in the 60s but he's only been unfrozen for, like, 10 years, max?

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I think most of us would

3. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    And who, pray tell, is "us" in this statement? I, for one, couldn't care less if they scrapped the entire EU.
    That said, I'm not against EU characters appearing, and if it's Jaina, that could be cool. I'm honestly more excited for a lead female - hopefully a badass Jedi to boot. There really aren't enough powerful women characters in cinema for my daughters to look up to - and very frequently when the lead goes to a female, she still comes off as whiny or has some other feminine stereotype attached to her. If there's any franchise that could do right by a heroine - it's Star Wars.

KevinM1 and Valairy Scot like this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Let's get down to brass tacks here:

1) The protagonist will be female
    2) the protagonist will be a descendant of Luke or Leia/Han. I'm guessing more towards Leia/Han because A) it's the most logical choice. B) Lucas wants to keep the whole "Jedi Monk" thing going on that was established in the PT, so Luke won't have any kids or wife, etc.
    2) While the EU can basically be tossed out, some things are kinda set in stone. Mostly Thrawn trilogy because it is almost single-handedly responsible for the resurgence of Star Wars in the early 90s.
    2a) for proof of this, see the usage of "Courscant" for the PT.
    3) therefore they'll use, at the very least, the name of Leia/Han's female kid from the Thrawn books.
    4) Henceforth, Jania will be the main character of the ST! Probably in her early 20s.
    5) then the EU will do lots and lots and lots of retcon backflips to make the previous works fit into the ST timeline.

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I said MOST OF US would be unhappy if nothing from the EU was in the ST.

Jobertus likes this.
  6. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Indeed. And why does anybody think he knows anything we dont know? The lead might be a female. Cool.

Might not be.

I'm as curious as the next guy (or girl) about what we are going to get in the ST, but this tweet means nothing.

Who did say that the lead was going to be male?

and

Who said the lead would be female?

Nobody that matters said either. :)

P.S. I'm not saying anything negative about Peter Sciretta, just that what he tweeted does not indicate anything, but rather poses the question.

7. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    I know you did, but you failed to say who "us" was. If your premise is that most of the people who will be seeing the movie would be unhappy if nothing from the EU was in the ST, I'd be forced to disagree with you. Heck, I'd disagree with you that even most of the people on this forum would be upset by that.

FryingpoorGreedo likes this.
  8. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Okay, so.....this guy is a blogger. Is he also bffs with Arndt or....? Why do his tweets matter?

9. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Exactly.
    I'm going to tweet that an insane Shaak Ti is the antagonist and I expect a thread about it by the end of the hour.

10. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    What they said.

This tweet means nothing. They're speculating - just like what we're doing here. While it would be a nice change to see a female lead, I'm going to take this with a grain of salt.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  11. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    Nomi skywalker!

Echo-07 likes this.
  12. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
  13. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    PC on my PC...

14. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Jaina at 36yo ( 45ABY ) could easily be the lead Character with Ben in support but if the EU is retcon at some point then you could see a younger Jaina ......Allana is to young to play the lead she is only 9yo at 45ABY ....

15. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    [Binks] This Tweet smelling yucky yucky! [/Binks]

16. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm personally hoping for a new character that wasn't in the EU. I'd rather any EU characters be minor so the focus is on completely new people.

17. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Yeah who is this guy and why should we care what he Tweets (of all things)?

I've been saying Nomi Skywalker for a month now. I feel we'll see the Solo twins and Nomi Skywalker (or other name) but two female leads and a male.

18. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    The Sequel Trilogy original drafts had the protagonist as a "female Skywalker"; this "revelation" is nothing new.

19. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Okay so we know Peter Sciretta works for SlashFilm but I still don't know why he would have any more knowledge about this than us fans. However, while surfing for tidbits I came across this juicy bit:

http://movieline.com/2013/01/04/star-wars-episode-7-female-lead-character/

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-...r-wes-anderson-and-a-female-lead/#more-154868

If you read this then you think he got some insider info and he was allowed to share the tidbit that he did. My money's on a female Skywalker AND a female Solo.

20. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Would you rather the female be Leia's daughter or grand daughter?

21. princessnikki

princessnikki Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 8, 2012
    Of course Disney are going to be looking towards having female lead characters..... how else can they expand their Disney Princess range!

My guess is for Snow White and the Seven Jawas to be the main characters in the new movie!

Darth Chiznuk and FRAGWAGON like this.
  22. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Just curious. Why are folks getting their hopes all up on it being Jaina? The new movies are original stories. It might be safe to assume that the characters (outside of the established movie characters) will be original too.

That said...

WOOOOHOOOOOO Ep 7 leaks!!!!

23. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Bob Iger said on the D-Day signing vid that Disney purchased Star Wars and over 17,000 characters. That statement leads one to believe they won't totally trash the EU. Although i think we could see a renaming of the Solo twins and the loss of Anakin Solo and Ben Skywalker. I most certainly expect a female Skywlaker lead and NOT Mara Jade. The Force tells me that it is Nomi Skywalker.

TheBBP likes this.
  24. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Okay... thought experiment time: Possible Trio for the ST...

1.) Protagonist - Nomi Skywalker
    2.) Lancer - Jaina Solo
    3.) Love Interest - ??? Or maybe this is just Ben and is simply the Sibling of the Protagonist?

Hmm... maybe it'd be better if I went to the complete group for VII...

1.) Protagonist - Nomi Skywalker
    2.) Lancer - Jaina Solo
    3.) Love Interest - ???
    4.) Doomed Mentor - Jacen Solo?
    5.) Sidekick - Ben Skywalker?
    6.) Chorus and Bard - Threepio and Artoo

Nomi Skywalker... maybe a 20-25 ABY Birthdate... making her 15-20 for 40 ABY or 20-25 for 45 ABY.

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    As long as the lead character more closely resembles Merida from "Brave" than some whiny lame-ass "Someday my Prince will come" damsel in distress, I'm good.