main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lg.Is, NY Welcome Orange County Star Wars Society!

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by StarFromIHJ, Jul 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarFromIHJ

StarFromIHJ Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2002

Maybe you guys could come out for SWNYC's convention next year.

2. Ghosts_Of_Anakin

Ghosts_Of_Anakin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    And then you'll see that these NJO guys are wild ones. Hey NJO dudes, when are we getting together again? It's been way too quiet lately.

It HAS been too quiet...all you gotta do is let us know and we'll be there! Maybe we'll even bring that hermit Herb who never shows up at any events........

3. StarFromIHJ

Apr 5, 2002
    When?

Well I'll be at the BBQ, but DB 516 wasn't invited. :( lol

4. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    I don't mean to pry, but what does the number 516 mean?

5. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    516 is the area code for Nassau County in Long Island.

Dana, I hope you do not mind that I answered. :)

I am a 718 guy myself. :)

6. Orion-TC2894

Orion-TC2894 Jedi Youngling

Jul 1, 2003
    yes 516 is nasau but lets just forget about suffolk then dana cuz apparently we dont matter

goyven

7. StarFromIHJ

Apr 5, 2002
    Well the only reason we chose Nassau's area code is because it is the most recognizable area code on the Island.

8. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    I never ever remember the area code for Suffolk. I have known about 516 for YEARS.

516 is to LI as 212 is to NYC. :)

9. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    ok everyone lets all play nice ;)

10. Orion-TC2894

Jul 1, 2003
    why couldnt we say DBLI

11. MasterSifo-Dyas

MasterSifo-Dyas Jedi Master star 4

Oct 1, 2002
    That's true 516 is the one that was Long Islands area code for so many years. Other peole around the country kind of recognize it as "the" Long Island area code. If Docking Bay 516 had another number it wouldnt be immediately apparent why it was identifiable with Long Island.
    Hey, I'm in 718 which technically is Long Island. And I'll be moving to Babylon Long Island which is in 631. But I still like the 516 in there. --Billy

12. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Why not use the zipcode? Or latitude/longitude?

13. dustinbrewer

dustinbrewer Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 8, 2002
    oh i forgot, here's my official info...

Name: dustin

Location: city of orange(down the street from the tragic kingdom)

SW Related Interests: collecting loose s.w. figures, watching the films

Non-SW Related Interests: rockabilly music, kustom cars, yardsales, swap meets and other cheap to free things.

How did you get started on SW: my parents took me to see the original film when i was like 7, rented 5 & 6 later in the mid 80's, put star wars aside until talk of a new film started in the mid 90's, been into collecting figures and watching all the movies since then. at the begining of this year i found theforce.net and further found the ocsws and started going to meetings and having ALOT of fun with fellow star wars fans here in so. cal.

....so we have a website, ocstarwars.com, do you guys have a website to possibly match names with faces??? edit** OOPS, i found it :D **edit

see ya

14. Orion-TC2894

Jul 1, 2003
    im just saying people may think its nassau only so i think we should go more long island-ish but ill move to nassau if ya want

goyven...even

15. StarFromIHJ

Apr 5, 2002
    So nice to meet you Dustin.

16. Moorglade

Moorglade Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2002
    First off... I too would like to welcome the OCSWS! :)

Second, as the person who thought up the name DB516, I should probably be the one to explain it. It's very simple. Using simple numerology: 5 + 1 + 6 = 12; 1 + 2 = 3. And 3 is a powerful number...

Okay, so none of you are buying that. ;)

Seriously, I thought up Docking Bay, but of course it had to have a number. 516 was the first one that popped into my head. It's in the middle, and the most recognizable area code for the Island. When I threw the name out at our first meeting, everyone liked it. And it stuck. That's our name now, and there are no plans to change it. :)

17. SRB_Jedi_Knight

SRB_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    I just wanted to drop by while I have some time right now and let you knwo that OCSWS will probably be really busy over the next 5-6 days. I didn't want you all to think we forgot about you. :D We will be at Comic-Con starting tomorrow and as the weekend approaches more and more of our group will be heading to the convention.

I'll make sure we have lots of info for you all and that we share our experiences here as well.

Talk to you all soon.

18. Orion-TC2894

Jul 1, 2003
    triss are you trying to make me feel better

19. Moorglade

Aug 1, 2002
    Just stating the truth about the name. It was a case of going with the first idea was what sounded best. Sometimes, thinking too much about something doesn't work.

If it helps... when Billy and I talked about ideas for our logo, I leaned towards the Montauk lighthouse instead of the Jones Beach pencil, so that 631 would be represented in some way. Original rough (very rough!) sketch

Obviously, 718 is represented by the Falcon. :D

20. Moorglade

Aug 1, 2002
    My turn...

Name: Triss
    Location: Glendale, Queens, NY (home of Archie Bunker and final home of Houdini)
    SW Related Interests: Pretty Jedi (see icon for example), one twisted RPG, costuming when I'm in the mood
    Non-SW Related Interests: Books (mainly fantasy), cats (I have 4), bellydancing, miscellaneous sci-fi/fantasy (including B5, LOTR), music (U2, Lifehouse, Fuel, Yes)
    How did you get started on SW: I was taken to the movies for my 10th birthday. I haven't been quite right since.

21. Orion-TC2894

Jul 1, 2003
    thanks for explaining that triss i dont feel so bad now but i have a meeting place for the next meeting and and and if you can ge ahold of that kid chris i can go get him

22. KenDeep

KenDeep Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 30, 2002
    Hey we dont serve their kind.... ok ok yes we do!!
    Road trip to Cali-----Kenny

23. StarFromIHJ

Apr 5, 2002
    Just say when Kenny. ;)

24. zhi-don_aquintas

zhi-don_aquintas Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2002
    hi guys; nice ta meetcha.

sorry, posting this a wee bit late.

name: don

age: as old as my beard and a little older than my teeth

location: 9 blocks from the mouse house [anaheim...close to disneyland]

star wars interests: building lightsabers and other jedi equipment. costuming. books. some collecting, fan force RPG's currently in 2 of them, member of the jedi knights, the rebel legion, and the grey jedi.

nonstarwars interests: books, movies, roleplaying games, computers.

beginning interest in star wars: uh...i read the book before the first movie came out. that would be star wars before it became EP4 a new hope. [yeah, it was chiseled on stone tablets]

looking forward to meeting you guys in person sometime. trying to get a friend of mine who lives in ny to join you. more info on that later.

25. coold1

coold1 Jedi Youngling

Aug 23, 2003
    Hey people I am new to the forums.
    my name is dave. I am a big fan of Star Wars and some other Sci-fi movies (I am kind of picky about which ones though).

If there is anyone in the Stars Wars universe that I think I am like it has to be Luke.

sex: male
    local: suffolk county, NY

I would like to learn more about the Montawk Lighthouse outing in September.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.