main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Welcome to the world of tomorrow..... Oh crap *A Fallout 3 Thread*

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DarthSolar, Jun 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    At one point, Three-Dog actually muses on-air (when discussing "disc jockeys"), "What the hell is a 'disc,' anyhow?" (or words to that effect).

Would've been a cool sidequest to go out into the Wasteland in search of more old music for 3D to spin.

2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    LOL. Gee, why didn't Bethesda thnk of THAT.

For that matter, Agatha sends you off to find sheet music for her to play on her violin. But I NEVER found anything in that regard. Could it be that's a broken quest or that the sheet music is one of those extremely rare items strewn off many a beaten path around the Wasteland?

3. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    There are a couple sheet musics out there but you only need one. I know at least one of them is in Arlington Library. I think another is in one of the Vaults. The same one where the violin is IIRC. She gives you a unique magnum for it.

4. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    I got tired of his station, and they sure could have used more music. You spend a lot of time in the wasteland, and a few hours of music just isn't going to cut it.

5. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    This. I dont think it took me very long at all to stop listening to the radio altogether, there just wasn't enough to keep it from getting repetitive and annoying. Though to be fair, I spend a lot of time on the pc and the PS3 is right behind me and my brother played fallout3 on it ALL the time, so I guess that wouldn't have helped

EDIT: I guess I should mention I didnt hate the music on GNR, in fact I loved it and actually have some of the tracks on my iTunes. The problem was that there weren't enough tracks, so no matter how good they were, listening to the same 5 songs over and over is always going to get old.

6. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    The only good thing about listening to GNR was hearing Freedog's news about your deeds (or misdeeds), but like the music they got awfully repetive (and old) awfully fast. So I switched off the radio to listen to the background soundtrack or otherwise tuned in to Agatha's station. Hearing many of the violin pieces while in the middle of any random encounter or pitched battle was simply surreal.

7. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Right now, even if they were to license spinoff games like Petz: Radscorpions or Activision's Agatha's Violin Hero, my ass would be so there.

8. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Jeez...have ye no shame, man?

What am I saying, of course ye don't. :p

9. Angel_Blue

Angel_Blue Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 4, 2006
    I loved this game but got frustrated because I felt like I never got anywhere. I never had enough ammo and so couldn't complete any quests. Now I want to get back into the game, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Anyone have any tips?

10. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Here's a few tips:

1) Be patient. You will have to walk A LOT to get from point A to B during the game. Once you unlock certain key locations, it's all a matter of fast-travelling to them using your Pip-Boy, which leads me to...

2) Learn how to properly use your Pip-Boy. Seriously. My first time through Fallout was frustrating because of I hadn't bothered to tinker with it. You need to take time to learn its functions, primarily inventory management, quest management and, most importantly, learning how to use and move around the map. Once you select a quest as a primary quest, markers on the map and your HUD highlight the location(s) you need to go to. Of course, there aren't too many straight paths once you enter Downtown DC, and moving through collapsed subway tunnels is arguably one of the less fun aspects of walking around town.

3) Do not waste ammo. The manuals stresses this point, and at the beginning of the game ammo will be quite scarce. Use VATS to properly attack foes with the less use of ammo possible. And do not rely only on firearms, use your fists or available melee weapons when possible. Try to have minimal repair skills in order to do field repairs with scavanged weapons of the same make/type. Scrounge the bodies of fallen foes, lockers, boxes, etc.; you'll usually find ammo if you bother to look in the right place.

4) Explore, explore, explore! Part of what makes this game so appealing is that you can simply wander the land and forget all about the main or any other quest. And the more locations you unlock, the easier (and faster) it'll be for you to move around the Capital Wasteland.

11. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I got by on my 10mm pistol for a long while until I could start getting hunting rifles from Super Mutants in DC. After that tons of raiders and mutants carry them and assault rifles and the corresponding ammo so you should be set.

Ammo and caps are a problem in the early game but eventually you'll be flooded with them. I always build up repair to save caps early on; I try to never pay for repairs on my main guns (hunting rifle or assault rifle). Alternatively, go complete Operation: Anchorage and get the armour and weapons from the vault. You're set for a long time afterwards.

I just got the GOTY edition...this game is taking over my life again. :p

Question- I'm doing Strictly Business; I have no qualms about enslaving anyone so long as it doesn't inconvenience me in any way. For that reason Arkansas and Susan are already crying themselves to sleep in the slave pens. However I'd like the free healing from Red and enslaving Flak makes Shrapnel follow him to Paradise Falls and quite possibly die. So I'm thinking- go to Germantown, enslave Red (I haven't been to big town yet), explode the pants of Flak, then go to big town, wipe out the slavers and rescue Red. Everything back to normal. Should work, yes?

12. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    There's a sniper rifle and ammo behind Megaton in a Hollowed-Out Rock that is easy to get early on. It can be very useful when you first leave the Vault.

13. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    If you're really, REALLY desperate for ammo and haven't done Operation Anchorage yet, there IS a way to bring back a butt-load of ammo from the simulation. Tis a beautiful thing if you're a stealthy sniper type. [face_mischief]

Also, IIRC, there should be a way to convert more common ammo into other types in The Pitt. Haven't tried that yet, though, so I'm not sure how that works exactly.

But if you're just sticking to the vanilla game, learn to scavenge and loot like your survival depends on it. Look in boxes, on shelves, in dressers, in lockers, trash cans, bodies... Anywhere you can look, take a quick look because you never know where they might've hid stuff. Heck, look in toilets, mailboxes, and bathtubs, too! Explore abandoned houses and caves and campgrounds.

And if you're low in caps and don't know the dupe trick, look out for high-value/low weight items, too. On your way to another quest location and run across a run down school? Check it out. (Don't just barge in, there's usually something occupying seemingly abandoned places.) There's probably lots of stuff to scavenge. Find raiders? Kill them and take their outfits and weapons. Repair the equipment since the better condition it's in, the higher price you can get for them. Rinse and repeat.

And if you're having trouble finding the boxes, lockers, other assorted things when visiting indoor locations, consider upping the brightness levels of the game. I had to up mine two or three bars. Strife, who just started playing the game for the first time, needed it brought up one or two. It could just be our eye sight or tv, but just that one simple adjustment helped tons.

14. Angel_Blue

Angel_Blue Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 4, 2006
    Thanks for all the great tips, everyone. Now I just need to get a copy of the game (I foolishly sold mine since I rarely played it). Does anyone know if the GOTY version for PS3 is as messed up as they say it is? I've heard some things about glitches and freezes.

15. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    I haven't experienced any problems.

Oh and a great way to make money and XP is selling scrap metal to Walter in Megaton. Scrap Metal is everywhere, it's light and he gives you 10 caps for each. The 30 caps (with speech) for Sugar Bombs in Seneca Station is pretty good too.

16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    For its sale price, scrap metal is actually pretty heavy. When I was at low levels, I always ended up dumping it for more valuable, lighter things.

That, and I think Walter fell to his death because of that respawn glitch thing.

17. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    10:1 isn't too bad for an incredibly common item (plus XP). Especially if you have low barter, which I always do.

You can trade it for stimpaks at underworld as well IIRC.

18. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    The things you find out about even now...I shouldn't be surprised though, the Wasteland is a treasure trove of loot; you'll find the most awesome stuff where you least expect it...sometimes even falling right out of the sky (the OTHER alien blaster, for example, which I was never lucky enough to stumble upon).

If you're really, REALLY desperate for ammo and haven't done Operation Anchorage yet, there IS a way to bring back a butt-load of ammo from the simulation. Tis a beautiful thing if you're a stealthy sniper type.

Yeah, playing Operation: Anchorage right out of the gate (after all, the Outcast enclave where this quest starts is pretty close to Vault 101, if memory serves) lets you access a crapload of loot, ammo and special armors. Skulking around in the Chinese stealth, besides making you look all kinds of badass, is simply full of win with its active cammo. And the Winterized (and seemingly imprevious to wear and tear) T-51B Power Armor is not too bad either. And let's not forget the Gauss rifle. It easily became one of my favorite energy weapons...until the Tesla cannon came along. [face_devil]

19. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Cartons of Cigarettes are even better. Weight of 2 and a value of 50. They are usually my junk item of choice to collect and sell. I enjoy selling them to the kids at Little Lamplight on my Bad Karma characters. Nothing special happens, but it just fills my heart with evilness. [face_devil]

20. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I don't think there's anything particularly evil about trading cigs to the kids at Lamplight, nearly all of them being rude little basterds in any case. I think cigs as well as caps are merely coin of trade/barter in the Wasteland economy. Besides, would you (or rather, could you) light up 200-year-old-irradiated cancer sticks?

21. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Jericho found a way as he often complains about being out of cigarettes. :p

22. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    So give him a pack and watch him light up as an idle animation.

Also with 13 barter those Cartons ain't worth 50. :p

23. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    This game's amazing. Since I finished Mass Effect 2 I've been playing this game solidly and I can't get over the scale of it. I thought Oblivion was big, but this is a whole other level. I didn't really like Oblivion, so this has been a welcome surprise.

24. ebamf

ebamf Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2009
    so i got the GOTY edition of FO3 and for some reason, when i click "new game", the game gets an error and has to close. i'm running on a XP laptop with service pack 3 and my laptop meets all the requirements, does anyone know how to solve this problem?

25. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    An annoying game/console freeze bug has started to occur when I go into VATS mode when playing on The Pitt and previously on the shooting range inside Mothership Zeta. Are these bugs common to those expansions...or is this an omen of imminent RROD?!?! :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.