main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

We're Moving v2.0

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Apr 2, 2010.

1. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    The "one week" downtime factors in the time it will take IGN to shut the boards down, export all the data, mail the hard drive to us, and the data to be extracted and converted, and imported into the vBulletin database.

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I said one week or so :p Not an exact figure.

If you don't have your fanfics backed up, I encourage you to do so. We think everything will transfer over, but to make positively sure you don't lose anything, it's best to save the stories.

3. ask-the-younglings

ask-the-younglings Jedi Youngling star 5

Jan 18, 2004
    Why not export all the data, store it securely in the cloud, run the import routine, test, then adapt the import script to change only, test, then shut the IGN boards down, do a change only export & import (should take less than an hour), repoint the DNS and have the new board working for most within hours?

It's not really any more work and - frankly - mailing the hard drive seems a bit... prehistoric. Not to mention kinda risky.

For once, I'm not trolling. I've been involved in a few database conversions, including stuff as extreme as converting a flat-file AS400 db to a relational db behind a custom-built CMS. While I'm not in possession of all the facts, I'm genuinely trying to be halpful. I would also suggest that doing it in the way you describe would take rather longer than a week...

4. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    The only problem with that suggestion is that we're not in control of exporting the data from IGN's servers. They have to do that, and they seem pretty set on not doing a whole lot else for us.

Edit: And the other obstacle is the fact that they are only "allowed" to do one more data export for us.

5. ask-the-younglings

ask-the-younglings Jedi Youngling star 5

Jan 18, 2004
    Wow, that sucks. So you can't even really test the import script until then. I think a week is optimistic under those circumstances. Pretty poor service from IGN after 10 years of custom.

6. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    There's no way we're moving. We're not moving. No way.

To conclude, of all the ways, none of them are us moving.

7. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Actually, they've already sent us one test export, which was missing several tables, but complete for the most part. That is what we're currently working off of.

8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I agree with Everton.

9. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    So are we there yet?

I saw the whole "one week" thing at the top of the page and got my hopes up.

At this rate The Old Republic MMO will be out before we move :p

IGN probably has us scheduled for the final export on 12/21/2012

10. JediWarrior

JediWarrior Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 7, 2000
    vBulletin?!

I refuse to return until we return to UBB and we perm-ban anyone who joined after TPM was released! (...omg, I think there are people on here now who weren't BORN when TPM was released...damn).

Amusingly, this is my only post in the last five years :D

11. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Dude, UBB sucks. :p

Nice to see you around here again, JW. Although, I can neither confirm nor deny your five-year-long hiatus. All those socks of yours, you know.

12. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    Um..so move or no move?

13. Tholain

Tholain Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2011
    Reading this thread i am not sure there is ever going to be a move.

I dont mind that, i just made some icons.

14. Tohl_Andares

Tohl_Andares Jedi Knight star 1

May 26, 2011
    This is turning out to be a great mystery it seems.

15. Jeditheskyisblue

Jeditheskyisblue Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    Is there ever going to be a move? I was on here a few years ago asking the same question.

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Who set our move date... Harold Camping?

Rapture comes, rapture goes, and we're still here. Must have the date wrong. New date is October 21st, 2011. We are all under divine judgment until then.

17. obisgirlfan

obisgirlfan Jedi Master

Nov 25, 2008
    what's going to happen with this move? new url? I have an older account I still can't access. Will that data be lost?

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The main URL should remain the same once the move is completed. There might be issues with links within posts but right now we don't know. (This would just be links to items within our site - external links should be OK).

All the accounts should transfer even if they can't be accessed due to lost password, etc.

19. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I hate to pile on here, but I'm pretty sure George RR Martin writes novels faster than you guys have done this move.

20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, I'm not sure why you guys still answer questions about the move... just be honest and say it's not happening. :p

21. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    We have top men working on it. TOP. MEN.

22. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    :p

The only honest answer is that work's still being done, that the sluggish pace of the process is due to factors completely out of our hands, and that you guys are having fun with this, you *****.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I told you! Harold Camping...

24. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    [face_laugh][face_laugh] I love that quote. At least you have a sense of humor about it, if not a schedule.

25. Corellian_Ale

Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 3, 2008
    Almost afraid to ask, but is it known if we will have the ability/feature to mark a PM as "unread" after its been opened?