main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"we've entered the Atmosphere"

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by MasterDevery, Dec 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterDevery

MasterDevery Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2005
    OK i heard that grevous was able to sling himself from the window to the outside of the ship then into it - then to the escape pod.

The reason i heard was that they were in an outer level of the atmousphere.

If this is so... why did obiwan say, "we've entered the atmousphere." When they were decending to corasant??

If my first statement is true- about the outer level out air (atmousphere)-- they isnt that a contradiction?

i just noticed the quote of Obiwan the other day.

2. Circle_Is_Complete

Circle_Is_Complete Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2005
    I also wondered why no other ships in the saga have a problem entering.

3. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    You're thinking too hard. It's Star Wars. Fictional. There are inconsistencies. Welcome to the GFFA.

4. Rassick

Rassick Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2004
    Maybe he meant they'd entered the first breathable section of the atmosphere.

5. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    Maybe it doesn't really matter.:eek:

p.s. I know, I know, if it doesn't matter, why am I posting here?

6. Darth-sennin

Darth-sennin Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2001
    Even in the outter level of the atmosphere, Grievous wouldn't be able to breathe (if that's what your asking). Grievous has to have an internal breathing mechanism (which makes sense since his organs are in a glass case). However, the whole battle is supposed to take place within Coruscant's atmosphere, so the Obi-wan's statement may still seem inconsistant. But, what you have to consider is that there is no definable limit to the atmosphere of a planet. Gases from the Earth's atmosphere extend all the way to the moon, but astronauts don't consider themselves inside of Earth's atmosphere until they are much closer. Obi-wan, is reffering to the part of the atmosphere that causes tangible friction when passing through it. And the reason why only the Invisible Hand has trouble entering the atmosphere is because it's sheilds were probably down. With advanced SW sheilds and a computor generated path through the atmosphere, most ships could (in a fantasy) pass through the atmosphere rather easily. Anakin had neither of these advantages.

7. darthYENIK

darthYENIK Jedi Master star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    Doesn't GL say the battle takes place in the upper atmosphere in the commentary?

8. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Grievous can breathe in space.

9. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Simple. Each planets atmosphere is different. The atmosphere of Mars and Jupiter, for example, is nothing like Earths. We have no idea what the atmosphere of Coruscant is like in detail.

10. CPShArp

CPShArp Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2005
    They say in the commentary that the battle is in the upper atmosphere so Obi-wan meant they were entering the lower atmosphere which is where there is friction from the air and the ship re-entering. The Invisible Hand has trouble re-entering because the end section of the ship broke off because of the damage...the engines in reverse were the most important because they were the main brakes to slow down the ship other then the drag fins. By slowing down the ship using drag fins and the engines in reverse, the ship encounters less friction on re-entry and also less speed so they don't crash.

11. lrdmonarch

lrdmonarch Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 2001

I think it's also possible that the Invisible Hand is not intended to land.

12. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Don't you have to enter the atmosphere at the proper trajectory to prevent from burning up or being damaged?

13. voodoopuuduu

Mar 22, 2004
    Don't you have to enter the atmosphere at the proper trajectory to prevent from burning up or being damaged?

Yep, especially for Earth. It depends on the thickness of the atmosphere and the pull of the planets gravity what kind of trajectory will be needed.

14. Obi-Wan_Skywalker_29

Obi-Wan_Skywalker_29 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    I actually LOVED this little detail as opposed to ships easily gliding in and out of the atmosphere. Added an awesome touch of realness for me. :D

15. Curufinwe

Curufinwe Jedi Master star 2

Jul 14, 2002
    Do we ever see a ship in the rest of Star Wars completely entering the atmosphere, e.g., from the vacuum of space all the way to the ground? The closest I can think of is Luke entering Dagobah but I don't think we follow him all the way down. What's to say that all ships in Star Wars don't have the flames when they enter the atmosphere? Could the Invisible Hand's size be a factor?

16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    We never actually see a ship enter the atomosphere. Mostly this was due to budget and technology constraints in the OT. It never really came up in the PT, save for Dooku's ship arriving on Courscant. But then we never really see the full details as it cuts to it after it's come through the clouds and head for the Works.

17. toronto-gush

toronto-gush Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2003
    I haven't watched AOTC too many times, but I think Obi-Wan's ship is engulfed in flames for a second or two when he is approaching Geonosis.

18. Darth_von_Tom

Darth_von_Tom Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2004
    Ric Olie was originally on the bridge in that scene and had that line. For some reason Mr Lucas cut him so the line was given to Obi Wan.

19. DarthNeil

DarthNeil Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2003
  20. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    [face_laugh]

Olié had quite a few more lines that were cut:
    "Those flames are hot!"
    "We're going to hit that observation tower!"
    "The tower has broken up and is falling down!"
    and "We've landed safely, and we are all alive!"

But getting back to the issue of other vessels entering the atmosphere in the GFFA - most other ships are not broken in half and going into freefall.
    I think that may have something to do with the journey being somewhat more comfortable...

21. Sarg_Kulo

Sarg_Kulo Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    6 plus 18... we're in the atmosphere ~ Obi Wan (not sure on numbers)

Ignore them, keep the ship in orbit ~ General Grievous.

Not just Obi Wan's line

22. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Never had a problem with this line then and now. Makes sensse to me. Half the ship was in space and then it wasn't. I get it.

23. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    The battle seemed close enough to get into the "Ionosphere" of Coruscant, or it's earthly equivilent, so the battle being in the atmosphere seems reasonable. However, I don't think it would be until they hit the Earthly equivilent of the "Stratosphere" that enough particles are present to form any kind of friction. Maybe Obi-Wan could have been more specific like "We've entered the Troposphere" or "We've entered the Metosphere" but that would have sounded stupid. He was in a battle forhis life, basically, over which he had no control. Technicalities such as which layer of the atmosphere he wasin probably didn't bother him.

Carnage

24. MasterDevery

MasterDevery Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2005
    i thought they were on fire before he said that, which would mean that they encountered friction before being in the atmosephere?

I think it's also possible that the Invisible Hand is not intended to land.

I was thinking of that too, but the main question would be:

How could the enter the atmousphere, when the battle was allready in the atmousphere? -

25. voodoopuuduu

Mar 22, 2004
    How could the enter the atmousphere, when the battle was allready in the atmousphere? -

Like Carnage above mentioned, Obi-Wans technical English wasnt correct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.