main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA What are you reading?

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by greencat336, Aug 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    I'm starting book 3 of the Vampire Earth series by E.E. Knight. Earth's been invaded by evil aliens that maintain their immortality by absorbing the 'vital aura' of living creatures. Humans are either living in totalitarian areas controlled by the evil aliens or scattered outposts fighting against the evil aliens. The first two books were very good.

I'm also reading 'Tales Before Narnia' which is a collection of literary works that Lewis had said influenced his own works and introductions to each that briefly discuss how each influenced him.

Still reading the Legacy comics.

2. del

del Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2008
    I'm reading too many comics to mention, including Legacy. I just finished the next-to-the last novel in the Legacy of the Force novels - just waiting for "Invincible" to come out on paperback. So to pass the time, I grabbed "The Joiner King" at the used book store and am reading that too.

3. SuperChill

SuperChill Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 8, 2005
    I'm reading the bible and also Green eggs and ham by Dr. Suess. I am also trying to keep up on the legacy comics and finishing The Death Star.

4. xm41

xm41 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2007
    The Bible you say. Not to reveal any major spoilers but I hear things don't turn out all that well for the Jesus character. :D

Ron

5. TRADMIC

TRADMIC Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 24, 2005
    The Vampire Earth series is very good. Whoever turned you on to reading this should be rewarded with candy. The style of writing and military type tactics remind me of Jedi Trial. As with the Bane sequel, the next book in the VE series is only out in hardback. Scares me a little that it's titled "Fall with Honor"

I'm pretty sure the Death Star thing doesn't end well either.

I'm still reading Legacy comics and graphic novels of KotOR, plan to get the force Unleashed stories. Will probably suck it up and buy the hardback versions of the VE and Bane "Rule of Two" books.

Not sure when I'm gonna have a chance to read though. We've been having some pretty nice days. Plus I've been busy with lots of other stuff. Even the evil world domination plots have been put on the backburner at this point.

:)

6. obanion

obanion Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2005
    I'm reading as little as possible, I'll be doing too much of that soon enough. and most of it will suck.:_|

7. Mrs_Darth_Agony

Mrs_Darth_Agony Jedi Youngling

Jul 30, 2003
    I just finished a book last night. Don't know how many of you it would interest though. It was Sunday's at Tiffany's buy James Patterson. It was his latest romance novel, only the 3rd one he's ever done, the rest of his stuff is suspense and mystery type stuff. It was good but not as good as his others. You guys should check out www.paperbackswap.com Free books... nuff said!

8. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Finished "Fall with Honor" of the Vampire Earth series. Not the best in the series but still very entertaining. Sigh. Now I have to wait until summer for the next one.

Got lent 1634: The Ram Rebellion. Its part of the Ring of Fire series (premise is that a small WV coal town goes through a wormhole and ends up in the middle of Europe in 1632. First book in series is coincidently named 1632)
    I really liked the first few books,that were mainly about social/cultural/political impact of modern US town appearing in 1632 Europe. But then the next few books were mainly military story line and I got bored. A friend who also reads them said this one is again more about social/cultural/political. Of course, my time to sit and read is a bit more limited now that school has started up again.

I'm also reading an interesting book about the impact of the Black Death on European society. (okay, interesting to a history geek lol)

9. BonMothma

BonMothma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003

You didn't finish the story. ;P

10. xm41

xm41 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2007
    After years of being forced to go to religious classes as a child I lost interest in the story.

Ron

11. del

del Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2008
    I just finished the Dark Nest Trilogy, and am taking a break from SW novels until "Invincible" comes out on paperback. I also finished reading a New Gods(DC) trade paperback by Walt Simonson. I'm going to check the shelves for some non-hero, non-sci-fi/fantasy reading for a while. Maybe some Salinger or Erskine Caldwell.

12. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    For fun, I'm finishing up "Killing Pablo" by Mark Bowden and "Collapse" by Jared Diamond. I'm also teaching my courses by staying a chapter ahead of my students, so add "Science and Ethics", "The Ethics of Science", and "The Ethical Dimensions of the Biological and Health Sciences." I'm also evaluating three textbooks for a graduate level research methodology course, and articles on empirical ethics for a book ideal I'll be shopping around in the next month. Yay, academia. [face_plain]

13. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    A biography of Marie Antoinette by Antonia Fraser.

14. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    I haven't read a book in a couple of months, (outside of a parts of book called 'Eat the Rich' because he was there). This thread reminds me that I need to get back to he library. Should I choose history or a novel? I could go for a really good science fiction type book.

15. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Historical science fiction?

16. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    I guess that depends on what you mean by historical science fiction? I think the oldest science fiction books that I have read have been Brave New World and and 1984.

17. TRADMIC

TRADMIC Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 24, 2005
    Harry Turtledove.

18. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    Alternative history. Looks interesting. It looks like he has written a gazillion books, many of them part of various series', but I can't get sucked in.

19. Jedi_Heather27

Jedi_Heather27 Jedi Youngling

Jan 22, 2008
    HI everyone, I'm kinda knew to the boards and had a question bout the books and thought maybe some of you can help! :) I want to read the star wars books (yea I know there are alot) but I don't know where to start. I have read the movie adaptions and read some of the comics but I want to read from what happened after movies from the beginning if that makes sense. I just started reading "Courtship of Princess Leia" which is good so far. I would love any thoughts! Thanks!

20. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001

Welcome to the boards Jedi Heather :D

I think some of the best SW books are Jude Watson's books. They are marked 'young adult' and therefore are written in that choppy short sentence style, but the characters are fascinating and engaging, and intro some really cool characters like Xanatos, Bant, and Ferus. Jedi Apprentice series covers Obi-Wan's apprenticeship to Qui-Gon, Jedi Quest is Anakin's apprenticeship to Obi-Wan, and Last of the Jedi is about Ferus, who left the Jedi while still a Padawan and who had been Anakin's rival while at the Temple.

Tattooine Ghost is excellent. Darth Bane Rule of Two (haven't read the sequel yet, still waiting for it to come out in paperback). Any of the Tales books, which are collections of short stories about those characters standing around in the background of various scenes.

I also enjoy reading the Essential Guide books, the SW Encyclopedia books, and various background books (like on the artwork, costumes, and making the films).

I'm supposed to be reading a couple of books on Winston Churchill for a one day course on him (his early life and involvement in Britain's 'small wars') but I haven't managed to read them yet or answer the assigned questions. But that homework isn't due until Nov. 1, so I still have some time lol.

21. Jedi_Heather27

Jan 22, 2008
    :eek: WOW! That is an amazing list to get started with! Thank you so much! I was thinking about starting with the essential guides to get that basic information on everything that has gone on and so forth! But thanks to your suggestions I now have more to look up on!

....well off to the book store!!! :D

22. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
  23. Jedi_Heather27

Jan 22, 2008
    Thanks Fluke_Groundrunner! :) IS that the first book after the movies? Have you read it? Is it a nice fit?

24. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    I don't think it is the first book after the movies timeline wise, but techniclly I believe that it was the first book written that takes place after the movies. It is number one in a trilogy and the trilogy is worth reading, imo.

25. Jedi_Heather27

Jan 22, 2008
    Sounds good to me. I will have to look for that one as well! :) Boy, with all the help I have gotten so far with books I will get nothing else done cause I'll be reading all these good books! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.