main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL What Book Are You Reading Right Now?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Bosh_Talk, Jun 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. merrick_stoller

merrick_stoller Jedi Master star 2

May 30, 2006
    im reading dark lord right now.

2. merrick_stoller

May 30, 2006
    now im reading Darth Bane- Path of Destruction. pretty cool so far

3. DrJawa

DrJawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Heroes Die by Matthew Stover - incredibly, descriptively violent but overall very good so far.

And I just bought Path of Destruction and read the first chapter. Now just judging from the author's credit and bio and the book's terrible cover, which I know isn't the very fair, I really don't think this book's going to be very good at all. Plus, I think all the recent SW book releases have set the quality bar pretty high.

4. Fett402

Fett402 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2005
    I started reading The Few and The Proud. It's about Marine Corps Drill Instructors from WW2 till the present talking about the direrences in the Crops from then and now. There are some great stories in there!!

5. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    I'd read it if R. Lee's in it.

6. Fett402

May 3, 2005
    Actually....he is....havent gotten to him yet.

7. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    My Text book.

8. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    /sigh @ Peaches

I just finished up Walking Dead courtesy of Ohblee. Fantastic collection of zombie comics. It is a damn fine comic in its own right.

Another friend had lent me Superman: Birthright which is turning out to be decent and I've got Astonishing X-Men Vol 1 to work through.

Plus some travel books for New Zealand.

9. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    all those comics are in the distance on my 'to read/to buy' list. right now I'm on vol. 3 of Morrison's New X-Men run...it's good, but not great, yet. maybe it will improve with future readings.

as for BOOK books, I'm reading black dahlia avenger by steven hodel. it's about the black dahlia case back in the forties in LA and the author believes his father committed this notorious unsolved murder. it's very good true crime nonfiction with a thick, powerful vein of autobiography mixed in. highly recommended, but be warned--it is both sexually and violently graphic at times.

10. merrick_stoller

May 30, 2006
    path of destruction wasn't too bad. i just started bloodlines

11. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    Tad Williams' Mountain of Black Glass (also known as Otherland vol 3). I love his writing. I don't understand how he writes so much and it's so engrossing. Otherland is a series of 4 books and I think the shortest is around 700 pages.

12. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt. Fascinating stuff...who knew that abortion did more to fight crime than Giuliani, new prisons and the death penalty put together...

Bosh

13. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    I've been waiting for that to come out in paperback. Maybe I should just rent it from the library. I did read the section on the kid named Winner and brother Loser. The hospital shouldn't release babies with crappy names.

14. kosure

kosure Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    I"m still reading the book club book from last month... urgh its draggin.

15. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    I am thinking this is a poor substitute for actually going,
    but, hopefully, I cam be helpful to stir up some paintball excitement
    for others:)

suggested reading,

[image=http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/0873497430.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1088535740_.jpg]

16. kosure

kosure Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    I'm reading LOTS! right now.

We've got a great text book on my Arab History class.
    I'm reading my Favorite Author of all time's (Brett Easton Ellis') latest book Lunar Park
    I just picked up McInerny's Bright Lights, Big City that I never read.
    I'm trying to read Refugee for book club.
    I just started William S. Burrough's Queer for my (believe it or not,) Queer Literature class.
    and, I'm reading Wikipedia doing research for my next book.

17. Fett402

May 3, 2005
    I just started Darth Bane

...I'm still trying to finish The Few and The Proud, with the whole moving thing, its been hard to sit down and read when I know I could be doing something else.

18. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    I have heard rave reviews for the Darth Bane book...
    I got stuck with Jury duty...so I brought along the "Boba Fett" series...the 6 book series for young readers....I got through 3 of them yesterday...
    they are ok...
    initially I thought they were another Jude Watson series...but they are not..

certainly not as good as the Jude Watsons series of "Jedi Apprentice" and "Jedi Quest"...

19. DrJawa

DrJawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    The Once and Future King by T.H. White.

And I finished reading Path of Destruction a little over a week ago and honestly, I really didn't like it at all. I thought it was definitely a poor choice for a hardcover and would've made for an okay paperback. I really don't understand why it's getting such good reviews but I'll save all my opinions for a future book club.

20. JodoKast74

Mar 10, 2001
    "World War Z" by Max Brooks. If you like "The Zombie Survival Guide", you'll like this follow-up novel based on the post-war with the undead.

21. shwanzi

shwanzi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 2002
    Since I'm writing a zombie screenplay right now those two books are next on my list once I finish reading Cell by Stephen King.

22. JodoKast74

Mar 10, 2001
    I am a HUGE zombie nut so I must play the part of Zombie #4 in your movie. Make sure you read the "Survival Guide" first.

23. LanceWS

LanceWS Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2005
    Fast or slow zombies?

24. shwanzi

shwanzi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 2002
    Slow. While I don't mind the fast ones from the Dawn of the Dead remake, the slow ones fit into my story better.

25. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Umberto Eco's "The Name of the Rose."

It hasn't grabbed me yet, but it's started out alright. We shall see.

-Le Penguin
    "I don't trust the way it moves."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.