main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Re reading Enders Game. I haven't read it in twenty years. Chilling.

2. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    "Keeping Chickens with Ashley English" by Ashley English.

I'm building a coop this year and some chickens to put in it. Then I shall have free eggs.

3. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Well, I read most of Mary Beard's "The Roman Triumph" for my capstone. I'm now combing through Kathryn Lomas' "Roman Italy 338BC-AD200: A Sourcebook" for quotes from Livy, Cicero, Dionysius, and various inscriptions on how the Romans treated their allies prior to the Social War. Also perusing a book called "Zapotec Civilization" for a short paper for my Archaeo class.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Lady I used to work with had chickens. She used to give out extra eggs at work. They were great! However make sure your coop is as fox-proof as you can get it otherwise the chickens won't last long.

5. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Oh yes, it'll be fortified. I also wanna get a duck just because ducks are awesome.

6. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Halfway through my third time reading Children of Dune, and about to start Deathtroopers.

7. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I'm reading an ARC of Friendship Makes the Heart Grow Fonder by Lisa Verge Higgins

8. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I've started reading a book based on a true story of love and murder on a tiny island in the Pacific 1000 miles south of Hawaii "And The Sea Will Tell." It was a very famous murder case and was made into a movie for TV starring Rachel Ward, of Thorn Birds fame and Bruce Dern, Laura Dern's dad, as the lovers, I think in the late 80's or early 90's. The murder took place in 1974 or '75.

The book is far more detailed than the movie and is well written and so far very interesting, even tho I know the outcome.

9. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary, the fourth Fablehaven book.

Amazing.

10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

11. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I really want to make a Friends joke right now :p

AmazingB what are those about?

12. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    Fate Of The Jedi: Ascension by Christie Golden

It's been almost one year since I read Conviction. Allston's first and Denning's two entries were great but four clunkers diminished my interest in the series.

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison

13. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    A couple of kids learn that their grandparents are the caretakers of a secret preserve of mythical creatures, while a secret group is trying to destroy it. It's a five-book YA series, each has its own plot with an overall plot tying them all together. Not exactly deep reading, but it's pretty good, each book better than the last so far.

Amazing.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  14. LifeInTechnicolor

LifeInTechnicolor Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm reading the first Wicked by Gregory Maguire.It is extremely good.You have to have read the Wizard if Oz series to understand some things like Ozma and Winkies which I have.

15. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Antarctica, by Kim Stanley Robinson. On the negative side, I don't think KSR is capable of constructing a sentence of less than six hundred words unless it's "The End." On the negative negative side, the novel seems to be rather all TOUCH NOT THE ENVIRONMENT HEATHENS, SMART PEOPLE KNOW HOW TO DO THIS BETTER THAN YOU DO, NOW GO AWAY AND MAKE MONEY SOMEWHERE ELSE. On the plus side, he seems to be hitting the mark beautifully introducing Feng Shui into the story; it's gotten me interested in that branch of superstition/common sense/knowledge (delete where applicable).

16. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    That was an amazing book. It comes out in March and I'd suggest any woman pick it up.

Now reading A History of the Present Illness by Louise Aronson

17. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Currently reading, out loud and with voices and accents to my appreciative wife, The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander. She's never read them (though she is an ardent fantasist) and I grew up immersed in them (they were my first literary love, and remain so), so the process is nothing short of wonderful.

Seeing my wife's responses to the plot turns has been delicious. Discovering that her favorite character is Gurgi fills my heart with joy and my eyes with unbidden tears. We're currently on the third book, The Castle of Llyr, and while it's my least favorite episode, wifey is loving it and I love her for loving it. I even do the female voices with something approaching realism and am considering a career in voice acting, because as it happens I'm awesome at it.

(These are the books that Disney based their great 1985 animated failure, The Black Cauldron, upon. That movie has its fans, mostly people who have never read the books, because the filmmakers tragically butchered the source material. They have since admitted doing so, and I have forgiven them in hopes that a film series will one day be forthcoming, as the Mouse still owns the rights.)

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm reading that too! I'm about 100 pages in. Where are you at in it and what do you think of it so far?

19. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    I'm 70 pages in. I thought the prologue was brilliant. Chapters 1 and 2 are self-contained episodes and a good introduction to the character.

20. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Time to take the plunge.

[​IMG]

21. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Darth Plagueis

22. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Chronicles of Prydain is pretty freaking fantastic.

severian28 likes this.
  23. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    so is it "amazing" or just "pretty good"?

24. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    I'm actually on page 145 of that now starting "A Scandal in Bohemia"

NYCitygurl likes this.
  25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I will be on page 1 in an hour or so. :p

NYCitygurl likes this.