main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO What Did You Think of the first Republic Commando Game? And should there be a second one?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by kameron b, Sep 14, 2012.

1. kameron b

kameron b Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2012
    Hello Everyone, I was just wondering what everyone thought of the first Republic Commando game? It was one of my favorites and it was a nice change of pace from games that mainly focused on jedi. But at the end of the game, as everyone knows there was a GIGANTIC cliffhanger. It made me mad it did.lol So I would like to know if anyone thinks that there should be a second Republic Commando. I know it had pretty good sales. I just don't know why lucasarts never pushed for a second game. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Kameron

2. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    LucasArts has a long history of abandoning successful franchises, from the X-wing and TIE Fighter series to the Battlefront series.

RC-1991, Darth_Invidious and imiller like this.
  3. kameron b

kameron b Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2012
    true. i love the lego games but seriously, they should go back to what made them great.

4. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Indeed.

5. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I really enjoyed it. I'm a big fan of Star Wars games and, as much as I love playing Jedi/Sith, I also love just running around with blasters and shooting things. A sequel would be good to tie up the ending of the first, but I can't see it happening. If it was planned then it probably got shelved to make way for something that'd sell better.

Mind you, if it's a Star Wars shooter you want then Star Wars 1313 would be the place to go. It looks great so far.

6. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    Republic Commando had its hits and misses with me, mostly hits. I really wish LucasArts would do more down-in-the-dirt, non-Force-user stuff like that, and the squad mechanics were really interesting to use. I'll take a sequel of that over their more recent ventures any day.

On the downside ... the DC-15s pistol and DC-17m rifle really bothered me. You ended up using the pistol for much of the game because on 2 of the 3 missions blaster clips for the DC-17 were extremely hard to come by (and it should have been the other way around ... why should you find plenty of Republic-issue supplies in enemy territory on Geonosis and none on friendly Kashyyyk and on a freaking REPUBLIC assault ship?). You could use alternate weapons, but could only carry one at a time and the ones it was easiest to get ammo for had few advantages over the DC-17m. That brings me to my other complaint - your main weapon was a freaking squirt gun against anything more than basic peon enemies. I would have gladly traded that fancy, highly adaptable piece of modular crap for something that could take down a Super Battle Droid with a reasonable number of hits - like, "less than 25% of the gun's entire ammo supply."

7. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The answer to SBDs is two ECDs.

8. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Anti-armour takes out SBDs pretty fast, if not then sniper mode will.
    I liked to use the Trandoshan heavy repeater and the shotgun on the levels where DC-17 ammo is hard to get.

As for the game itself - I enjoyed the squad parts and I felt the individual characters were well done. The game was rather short and had an edning that needs resolving, so yes I would be happy if they made another one.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  9. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    Yeah, anti-armor rounds take them down quick and sniper rounds are good - problem is you don't have many. IIRC you can only carry 4 grenades and 20 sniper rounds, and reloads are typically hard to come by. Typically I found the Trando shotgun and SMG were the easiest enemy weapons to get ammo for; I loved the heavy repeater, conc rifle, and Wookiee rocket launcher but those were generally few and far between.

10. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    The rocket launcher was good for big things but useless at close range. When defending areas it seemed the pistol and shotgun were best if you had no ammo for DC-17.
    I also liked the concussion-type weapon that was sometimes found. The little sub-machinegun thing the small trandos had wasn't great though.

It did annoy me that you couldn't pick up the E-5 droid blasters from the countless clankers that were destroyed in the game

11. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    I loved Republic Commando and I bought it a few months back and played it on my 360 but it was very laggy. While I love playing as force users I like playing as non-force users from time to time... and that time is now.
    I would love for a third Force Unleashed and KOTR to be released but right now I would prefer Republic Commando 2 or Imperial/Rebel Commando and Battlefront 3.

MrZAP likes this.
  12. JasperMereel_

JasperMereel_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2006
    I'm with you on that Q. I would love to see Republic Commando loosely follow the timelines of the novels.

13. kameron b

kameron b Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2012
    I always went for the arms when using the sniper rifle against SBDs. I think it would take like 3 or 4 shots. I think you just shoot their blaster arm then they would drop like flies. :D

14. kameron b

kameron b Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2012
    I would love to see that too. But whoever the president of Lucasarts is (it's not George Lucas Now) They will go with kid friendly games ie. Kinect or more Lego games. Like I said earlier, They are fun but They should go back to some of their old stuff. Or at least start the development process. [face_plain]

15. kameron b

kameron b Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2012
    Ok. Just looked it up and it said that Jim Ward was the president in 04-08. But before that I don't know.lol I just feel like they are screwing over millions of fans by not putting out sequels to old games or at least trying something different. star wars 1313 is a step in the right direction but I feel like something is missing.[face_sigh]

16. Master Valon

Master Valon Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 19, 2012
    Yes, I absolutely LOVE RC. As to the cliffhanger, well its not really a "resolver" or anything, but I would highly.....HIGHLY recommend reading the book series, as well. Karen Traviss did so much to add to the lore established by the game, and it was really well done. Although, the book series got an eerily similar end that the game did.....Ended before it was allowed to be fleshed out, canceled before its time. However, for the book series, it wasn't a lack of interest/demand/whatever, it was because a (In my opinion, uneducated) Dave Filoni decided to mess with the already-established and loved Mandalorian lore that Traviss and Hayden Blackman had worked to create, by starting the whole Death Watch/Mandalore/Dutchess Satine story arc in TCW. The TV show virtually deemed all of Traviss's work Non-Canon. Which needless to say, peeved me to no end. So in summary, if you really liked RC the game, the best thing you could do is read the series....if you can deal with yet another major cliffhanger at the end, haha. But for the whole series (Hard Contact, Triple Zero, True Colors, Order 66, and even the last one,Imperial Commando) it's just a really fun, well-written ride. But, pertaining to ONLY the game, yes, I found it very entertaining, and in a class of its own, seeing as it was really the only SW FPS (unless you count BF, where you could SET it to FP, but....I don't). And I agree, the shift needs to come from LFL, away from Jedi/Sith/Force Users and focus more on the average galactic citizen/soldier. IMO, those types of stories are much more compelling, because they are so much more relatable. Plus, I really liked the squad dynamic (like the relationships between characters, not just the squad A.I., which honestly was one of the few negatives to the game). This is mostly due to the fact that they really nailed it on the head when it came to showing the clones as real humans, not just flesh-and-blood droids, like, um, OTHER mediums tend to. Anyway, sorry for the rant. It's just that I really hold the RC lore super close to my heart.

17. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    Didn't they have a missile launcher on the other one too?

If I had to name something that bugged me the most, other than the low-powered weapons, it was those darn droid dispensers. About the only way to get rid of them was to set a demo charge on it while it churned out an unlimited supply of battle droids. What, was it Hammerspace in there?

18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It was OK with the Battle Droid dispensers, they were weak and your squad could take them out while you set the charge. The SBD ones were the worst, especially in that hangar part when there were a few of them.

19. kameron b

kameron b Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2012
    Yeah. And the driod dispensers were all about speed.

20. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I only got RC recently, and due to school I haven't been able to play too often. I've finished the first two missions and started on Kashyyyk. So far I'm really enjoying the game and liking the same things you guys like and disliking the same things you don't. I find the story interesting and the characters well fleshed-out (though I admit I've been a bit put off on how their voices are all completely different when they really shouldn't be), and I like the squad mechanics and so on. And I LOVE the rifle blade. I use that a lot on battle droids and other weaker enemies. But I've often found myself running out of rifle ammo because of things like SBDs, and while anti-armor or EMP grenades take them out quick you have a very limited supply of both. I've found the flash grenades all but useless too for most things. And sometimes one of the squad members gets stuck, and I have to do something drastic like incapacitate and heal them to make them move.

Overall the game has been quite a lot of fun, and I love the level design. I wish LucasArts would do more games like it. I love playing as Jedi (KotOR I is one of my favorite games ever) but most of my favorite Star Wars games were less, er, supernatural, like the Rogue Squadron games and the Battlefront games (and I actually like I better even without the heroes), and Bounty Hunter.

21. kameron b

kameron b Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2012
    Yeah. I think George Lucas had some input on making the commandos different. With the voices and the markings on their armor. But I don't think that Lucas arts will ever make a game like the old school ones ever again, which is extremely unfortunate.

22. Brera Sterne

Brera Sterne Jedi Youngling

Sep 30, 2012
    I just hope 1313 will turn out well and i still want an Imperial Commando game.

23. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I think Republic Commando being described as 'old school' is unfortunate.

24. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Gonna sound snobby here, but if you're discussing your individual weapons vs. SBDs in RC u r doing it wrong. :p Get the entire squad to light them up and call it a day. :p

Master_Keralys and Zeta1127 like this.
  25. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    Yeah, that was pretty much the way the game was built - you were heavily reliant on those three extra guns to knock down "heavy" units. I understood it; I just didn't necessarily like it. I never like relying on AI squadmates to take down targets with gunfire, although Delta's troopers were better than most.

MrZAP and DarthBoba like this.