main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What if the Indy movies were re-released in 3-D, too?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by MandalorianDuchess, Feb 15, 2012.

1. MandalorianDuchess

MandalorianDuchess Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2010
    Has anyone even mentioned anything about this possibility? What would it take? Can Lucas go ahead and do that single-handedly, or does Spielberg have to OK it it also?

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I'd imagine Spielberg would have to okay it.

3. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    I think I once heard Spielberg say that out of all his films, he would only like to see "Jaws" and "Jurassic Park" converted to 3-D.

4. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    I'm sure George would seek Steven's okay to do the conversions. If the SW films are successful enough, then it's almost a certainty we will see Indy films converted.

5. erock311

erock311 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2009
    I don't see there being a big market for it though. Raiders maybe, but I don't think there would be too much hype. I also cant see many scenes that would benefit from it.

6. MandalorianDuchess

MandalorianDuchess Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2010
    Surely, you can't be serious? :p

7. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    He is being serious, and don't call him Shirley!

8. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    No 3-D, but at least Raiders is getting an IMAX re-release this month.

9. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    no. Indiana Jones doesn't lend itself to 3D very well.

I wouldn't mind seeing temple of doom and last crusade in imax too, but I think Crystal Skull should wait over a decade if it ever gets rereleased. It will just reignite fanboy hate in these years.

HanSolo29 and Drewton like this.
  10. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    If the Indiana Jones series came to 3D my head would explode with happiness and I would be able to die a happy man! 8-}[face_dancing]

I think these films deserve a 3D re-release. After ROTJ 3D is finished the next thing should be Indy in 3D defiantly. And if Spielberg is happy to let Raiders come back to IMAX then there is no reason to believe he wouldn't want to let people see it in 3D in the hear future as well. Here's to hoping.[face_praying]

11. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    But don't you think if Spielberg had any intentions of re-releasing it in 3D, he would have done it with the current IMAX release? Sorry, but I just don't see it happening. Plus, I have to agree with BoromirsFan on this one, I can't see the Indy films lending themselves very good to the 3D format.

Releasing films in 3D is overrated, anyway. I don't think the current trend will hang around much longer.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  12. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    No I think it will stay alive so long as the avatar sequels are released.

If it takes as long as I imagine, then the 3D trend will decline only for it to shoot back up again with Avatar 2.

13. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Hmm...do you think another Avatar film will really bring it back? I personally loved the film, but from what I've been hearing, a lot of people didn't. I just worry that that kind of mentality will hurt any future Avatar project. Besides that, can you imagine what the price for a 3D ticket will be whenever Cameron decides to release the next one? :p

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  14. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I guess we'll have to see how The Hobbit trilogy goes with 3D in 48 fps and if it sets a trend of cinemas upgrading their projectors to accommodate outputting higher than the standard 24 fps. The higher frame rate does make it a smoother experience, sharper clarity and in theory should eliminate the headache issues associated with stereoscopic 3D in cinemas. I've also heard that Cameron wants to film in 60fps for the Avatar sequels.

Regarding Indiana Jones, Spielberg has said that he will not convert them and the only film he has allowed is Jurassic Park for the 20th Anniversary next year.